Hello

Sunburst Finish

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hello, newbie here. Got the gear, someone told me I now have to start building models. Is this correct? Used to build models up to being about fifteen years of age, so just a gap of 52 years. Started on the two bob airfix kits, the ones with the card top and plastic bag underneath. Things have changed since then haven't they?...Have built a handful since then but all were rubbish and went in the bin.

Not bothered what I build really, I'm sure they will be a mass of glue fingerprints whatever it is. However I shall 'endeavour to persevere' as they say.

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hello, newbie here. Got the gear, someone told me I now have to start building models. Is this correct? Used to build models up to being about fifteen years of age, so just a gap of 52 years. Started on the two bob airfix kits, the ones with the card top and plastic bag underneath. Things have changed since then haven't they?...

Not bothered what I build really, I'm sure they will be a mass of glue fingerprints whatever it is. However I shall 'endeavour to persevere' as they say.
You been watching 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' by any chance?

Welcome aboard.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome Dave, you've landed in the right place. I was in a similar state a few months ago on here. Finished making kits in my teens and started again 50 or so years later.
Lots of help and advice. Never seen a bad word spoken on here, nothing but good advice and help so dive in and tell us what your particular genre is, boats trains or planes and everything inbetween!!!
Most of all enjoy!

Sunburst Finish

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
@Gern. Yep, one of my favourite films! Thanks Waspie, I suppose aircraft really. Was in the RAF for twenty odd years as an aircraft techie so it kind of sticks with you I suppose, but I want to build a bit of everything. I've got a 1/48 Tamiya Mustang to start with, it looks like an easy build.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
And welcome to the madhouse from me!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
@Gern. Yep, one of my favourite films! Thanks Waspie, I suppose aircraft really. Was in the RAF for twenty odd years as an aircraft techie so it kind of sticks with you I suppose, but I want to build a bit of everything. I've got a 1/48 Tamiya Mustang to start with, it looks like an easy build.
I think the hobby has moved on in many ways. Even what I would have considered and easy build, straight out of the box, suddenly becomes something more. Reading and looking at what some guys on here are doing makes you want to add that little bit of something extra. Way back who used to 'weather' their kits. Or add additional pieces of their own to their builds. As an aircraft techie you will know of little nuances that the model manufactures don't add. But because you know it was there you try and replicate it.
I'm in the process of building a 'basic' Beetle, but I now find I'm adding 'rust' and making it look well used. (As most Beetles were). So enhancing the manufactures model/kit. Well I say enhancing, in my case destroying!!! I'm only on my third kit since returning to modelling but it's enjoyable.
What I like is the more I read on here the more I learn and the more I want to learn more!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What Ho Dave. Welcome to the forum. I see other Dave called you on the film quote :thumb2: :thumb2: However, does your Username mean you are a Bebop Deluxe fan as well?

Sunburst Finish

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What Ho Dave. Welcome to the forum. I see other Dave called you on the film quote :thumb2: :thumb2: However, does your Username mean you are a Bebop Deluxe fan as well?
Lol yes I used to listen to them back in the day. Bill Nelson was from my neck of the woods, he's a Wakefield lad, (Im from Cudworth). The real reason for the nickname is that its the finish on one of my guitars! I'm going to have a go at posting a pic now.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome, Dave, to a great forum. Cudworth - I lived in Pontefract for a number of years.
Join in and have fun.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A warm welcome Dave - you appear to be part of a concerted effort to impose Crab-Air on us more sensible participants - not to worry though!
Steve

First Name
Bill
Welcome Dave.
I am very much a fringe player here as my interests are 95% figure related but I check in regularly cos I love the craic. A great crowd of interesting and helpful folk. You will enjoy it here.

Bill

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
welcome to the forum - it doesn't matter about making mistakes - as long as you enjoy yourself & learn not to make them again! Loads of pracrical advice on techniques and what to try/not try - all you have to do is ask. No sarky comments or backbiting - we're civilised here ( although I have doubts about certain members ;) )
Dave