Hello

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Got a collection of their movies on dvd, the wife throws a fit even if I mention getting them out of the cupboard - sense of humour of a brick, unless I hit my thumb with a hammer....
Always loved Groucho…….his interplay with Margaret Dumont is comedy masterclass…..

Sunburst Finish

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I feel your pain. I had a Fender Twin…

Those Blackstars are brilliant. I have one of those one watt jobs as a practice amp and it’s superb. Two guitar playing mates went out and bought one each when they heard mine.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Those Blackstars are brilliant. I have one of those one watt jobs as a practice amp and it’s superb. Two guitar playing mates went out and bought one each when they heard mine.
I had a 5 watt one that died after four years. The power transformer had a winding fault. Replacement cost more than the amp was worth, so I stripped the amp part out, got a Hughes and Kenner digital shoebox amp, and use that to drive the speaker. Sounds even better than the original….

Wouldnt buy Blackstar again to be honest, quality control seems suspect. I had issues with the big one when I bought it, and had a warranty repair done. I have just had another repair done by a good mate of mine (it stopped switching into the warm clean channel) and he found this was the so called warranty repair…..really poor work.
4C5698DB-DE84-4E8A-88F6-0959FDEE5624.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Meant to say, the Fender digital version of the Fender twin is about the same weight as your Hot Rod……my old tutor had a real one back in the day and I could hardly lift it LOL.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Apparently Margaret Dumont didn’t know they were comedy films!!
I’ve heard that, but I simply don’t believe it :tongue-out3: They used to practice all those routines on stage before they filmed them…..being wallpapered to a wall three times a day in a theatre is a bit of a giveaway really….

Sunburst Finish

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I had a 5 watt one that died after four years. The power transformer had a winding fault. Replacement cost more than the amp was worth, so I stripped the amp part out, got a Hughes and Kenner digital shoebox amp, and use that to drive the speaker. Sounds even better than the original….

Wouldnt buy Blackstar again to be honest, quality control seems suspect. I had issues with the big one when I bought it, and had a warranty repair done. I have just had another repair done by a good mate of mine (it stopped switching into the warm clean channel) and he found this was the so called warranty repair…..really poor work.
View attachment 490657
Yeah not great. Mines been ok so far touch wood. Aren’t they the old Marshall guys that started Blackstar?

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Welcome aboard..... whatever and however you build just enjoy yourself, plenty of knowledgable peeps to help here.
Have fun and enjoy
Niho

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yeah not great. Mines been ok so far touch wood. Aren’t they the old Marshall guys that started Blackstar?
Apparently, yes. They always said the S1-45 was the amp that Marshal should’ve built….they seem to be going away from that these approach days.

Jabba

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Welcome Dave, nice to hear the BeBop Deluxe reference. Definitely a criminaly underated band. I saw them on the Sunburst Finish tour in Bournemouth Winter Gardens in ( i think) 1977. Brilliant
Peter