Hello

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Just joined up, used to build kits way back, think 1985 was last kit, a commision kit for a local RAF pilot, I,m now 70ish, have more time on my hands and have taken the plunge to re enter world of modeling, waiting for my first build to be delivered a Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV, always like this Mk of Spitfire, and am currently looking for a P51 to go with it, I'm going to stick to one scale that is 1/48th

I was quite experienced 38 years ago, starting to build kits when I was about 10 for 50p each.

All my gear has gone now a few brushes left so starting from scratch, have spent a few bob ordering stuff, looking forward to reading hints and tips on here and of course there's a lot on You tube

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Mark welcome to this fantastic forum the best one goin in my ipinion an ive been on here for 5yrs an done just a big ship build r/c HMS TIGER C20 in ships under contruction all 285 pages if you are instrested but now building a big F14 tomcat AN the guys on here are all nice peeps so lookin forward to seein your work in a blog on here an im sure you will enjoy your time on here AN HAPPY NEW YEAR
ATB
Chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome Mark. The spit is a good choice. Recent Airfix kits are top drawer in my opinion, and 1/48 is a good compromise between detail and handling :thumb2:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome Mark, if you want to know about knitting, needlepoint or how to stick and paint the latest all singing all dancing, I counted the rivets and they are all there kit in half an hour then you do not need to be here but on the B--------------- site....
If you need to ask a question it will be answered and not ignored as they do on other self centred forums, and it does not matter how stupid you feel the question is.
The Spit is a good selection and even straight from the box it builds up to a really good kit.
P-51, the later Tamiya ones are up there as always with the best, plus there are a great selection of decals for it.
And do not forget to post your work, we can even talk you through how to put the pic on the forum.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Mark!!

If you like 1/48 planes, then have a look at Eduard's collection of 1/48 kits.

I don't know if you have come across them since your return but they're a Czech company that started off doing aftermarket parts but then branched out into kits, which are usually very good, especially the newer mouldings. Late 90s/early 2000s are not bad but can have a few issues as I discovered recently. But most from the mid-2000s and certainly anything post 2010 are great kits. They may not have the history or lineage of Airfix or Tamiya, for example, but they're up there with the best for the most part.

That said, I don't want to poo-poo Airfix as Tim said, since Humbrol bought them out, they really have upped their game in recent years.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome, Mark, to the best forum out there. As others have said we pride ourselves on being helpful, polite and non critical.
1/48 is a great scale. As Tim said it's a nice compromise scale. I will add my praise for the later Airfix kits.
I hope you'll start a thread for your spitfire build.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome, Mark hope you enjoy being a member of this great forum - loads of advice, a bit of banter - and any questions? ask away, you'll soon get answers ( and some of them maybe even useful! )
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Mark and welcome to the friendliest knowable forum there is.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome aboard Mark. Hope you enjoy it here. As often said the only silly question is the one you dont ask. Also You cant have too many Spitfires. A beautiful aircraft.

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thank you for all the welcome messages; the first kit I'm going to build arrived a couple of days ago Airfix 1/48th Spitfire FR MK XIV, other bits and pieces arriving, have craft knives spray pot, brushes, mat, cotton buds, stronger eyeglasses, extra heat for garden ex office that will be my place to work in, nothing yet to allow me to start the kit, tomorrow, airbrush & compressor, paints, thin glue micro sol/set razor saw, sanding pads, putty, the kit was only 14.99 from wonderworlds sale but when built it will be the most expensive Spitfire ever!:smiling3: weekend should see me making a start ..........

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
What a starter kit Mark...comes with all the trimmings like air compressor and more. Welcome aboard.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble