Help clear gloss gone white

P

philgashead

I need some advice. I have painted my bismark hull and let it dry for over a week .I put a clear gloss coating on this morning and have just gone back to it and it has got white flexs all over it any ideas of what has happened and how to fix it thanks.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I need some advice. I have painted my bismark hull and let it dry for over a week .I put a clear gloss coating on this morning and have just gone back to it and it has got white flexs all over it any ideas of what has happened and how to fix it thanks.
Sorry to hear about your plight, what clear gloss was it and what did you thin it with and was there any dampness in the air when you painted it?

P

philgashead

\ said:
Sorry to hear about your plight, what clear gloss was it and what did you thin it with and was there any dampness in the air when you painted it?
Yes hi it is humbrol clear gloss and it was thined with water and it was a bit damp in the air .

Last edited:

Paul Davies

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have stopped using humbrol paints as I have found the quality has gone downhill. I recently used gloss spray can and it came out matt finish

L

Laurie

Cold at night with temperatures down over night at the weekend. Fog next day. I would bet it is that

high humidity and record temperatures from the sun pouring down all day. all taking up a mass of

moisture in the air. as the temperature the air can not support all that moisture and it condenses

on any surface which is cold.

Used to have the same when I built in the garage Phil. Used to have a plant propogator which I put

painted parts in.

Cannot help with fixing it. I suspect the gloss coating has separated. i take it it has not shown improvement

at all. guessing it may be moisture within the clear coating if so gentle heat may cure it.

Laurie

P

philgashead

\ said:
Cold at night with temperatures down over night at the weekend. Fog next day. I would bet it is that
high humidity and record temperatures from the sun pouring down all day. all taking up a mass of

moisture in the air. as the temperature the air can not support all that moisture and it condenses

on any surface which is cold.

Used to have the same when I built in the garage Phil. Used to have a plant propogator which I put

painted parts in.

Cannot help with fixing it. I suspect the gloss coating has separated. i take it it has not shown improvement

at all. guessing it may be moisture within the clear coating if so gentle heat may cure it.

Laurie
Thanks I will give that a go

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Humbrol Clear? Hmmm. I've had the same problem which is why I've relegated it to canopies and cockpit transfers. I have gone back to Railmatch acrylic varnish.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Humbrol Clear? Hmmm. I've had the same problem which is why I've relegated it to canopies and cockpit transfers. I have gone back to Railmatch acrylic varnish.
Was it Humbrol "Clear" which is different from Humbrol Gloss Varnish.

What problems have you had Rick ?. Worked perfectly for me in all ways. Works well airbrushing and is very resilient to use. Easy to clean the airbrush which is not for many varnishes.

If it was Humbrol Clear mixing with water as Phil has stated and it was Humbrol Clear as opposed to Humbrol, that may be the problem. Humbrol Clear is so thin you do not need to thin.

Laurie

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Humbrol Clear has always worked well for me.

Recently tried the Humbrol Clear Matt and that looked like the model had been sprayed with white paint, going to have to do a little experimentation with it to try different conditions.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Was it Humbrol "Clear" which is different from Humbrol Gloss Varnish.
What problems have you had Rick ?. Worked perfectly for me in all ways. Works well airbrushing and is very resilient to use. Easy to clean the airbrush which is not for many varnishes.

If it was Humbrol Clear mixing with water as Phil has stated and it was Humbrol Clear as opposed to Humbrol, that may be the problem. Humbrol Clear is so thin you do not need to thin.

Laurie
This stuff....I don't rate it.

View attachment 123945

image.jpg

D

Dave1973

Isnt humbrol clear a enamol/oil based product? Perhaps its the water thats caused it?

D

dubster72

No, it's an acrylic & is cleaned with water. I've never had any problems with it.

Usually it's a matt coat that can display a white ' bloom ' - I've never heard of gloss products doing it.

However, the ' white flecks ' sound more like dust particles or some other contaminant in the Clear, rather than humidity / airborne moisture problems.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Isnt humbrol clear a enamol/oil based product? Perhaps its the water thats caused it?
Humbrol Clear Dave is water soluble.

Laurie

L

Laurie

Actually chaps we do not know what Humbrol product we are talking about.

Phil is it Humbrol "Clear" or another of their varnish products ?

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Usually it's a matt coat that can display a white ' bloom '
Same here. I've had Vallejo matt varnish produce little white spots all over the place - getting tired of Vallejo..........

P

PhotoPhil

Why oh why don't manufactures stick to the same ingredients once they have a good product, that way we model makers would not get so many problems. as the the motto say's "if it's not broken don't try and fix it" or some thing like that :smiling3:

D

dubster72

\ said:
Same here. I've had Vallejo matt varnish produce little white spots all over the place - getting tired of Vallejo..........
That's because it's not mixed sufficiently. The white bits are little clumps of the matting agent - silica or talc is common.

All matt products need to be mixed or shaken again & again ....and then some more ....and more still!

Because a matt product isn't used often, the matting agent settles into a layer at the bottom. With Vallejo, I'd remove the dropper nipple & stir it around - just shaking isn't enough if it's sat doing nothing for a week or longer.

L

Laurie

\ said:
That's because it's not mixed sufficiently. The white bits are little clumps of the matting agent - silica or talc is common.
All matt products need to be mixed or shaken again & again ....and then some more ....and more still!

Because a matt product isn't used often, the matting agent settles into a layer at the bottom. With Vallejo, I'd remove the dropper nipple & stir it around - just shaking isn't enough if it's sat doing nothing for a week or longer.
Agree Patrick. Plus also when you use the dropper bottles a certain amount of varnish sticks,

on the inside, to the top area. Place it on its end and those bits are left there. These dry out a

bit then are collected up when you shake the bottle forming bits in the varnish which are

difficult to get rid of.

I remove the stopper and collect this left behind stuff. Apart from a bad batch bottle never had

varnish problems in 6 years. Nice stuff Vallejo Varnish perfect for clogging up your airbrush

if you do not clean out thoroughly.

Laurie

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Nice stuff Vallejo Varnish perfect for clogging up your airbrush
if you do not clean out thoroughly.
Nice for clogging your airbrush even if it's clinically spotless! Grrrrrrrr, mine's gone in the bin, and I'll not be replacing it either, QC is in question here.

its no use saying I must have had a bad one, this is the 21st century, Vallejo is the only manufacturer where I have had dodgy material from (Grey Primer, in case you ask!) for a long, long time. I love their Model Air, but the varnish is too milky (spray some on a clear plastic bottle, and you'll see my point!) and full of tiny little half-cured lumps of goo (and has been from the start) and the Primer is not fit for purpose. Green primer is fine, so, you see where I am going here, I have to take a gamble, so I'm better off going with another manufacturer, where QC has been 100%.

So, back to Winsor & Newton Acrylic UV matt Varnish, works beautifully, and much cheaper to boot!