Help me create this look

J

JASON

Hello Everyone

I am in the process of making the Tamiya 1/12 Tyrrell Monaco and would like to know how I should go about creating the look of the exhaust pipes/ manifold.  I am looking to recreate the bronzy/ goldy/ metaly colour as shown in the pictures.  I would like to stick with Tamiya acrylic paints as I do not have great ventilation in my apartment.  Any tips/ trick or directions to a tutorial would be greatly appreciated.  I plan on using my airbrush as I absolutely despise using a brush and the strokes it leaves.

Cheers

76-Tyrrell-P34-DV_10-MH_e02[1].jpg76-Tyrrell-P34-DV_10-MH_e02[1].jpg74_Tyrell_007_DV-06_MHR_e01[1].jpg

76-Tyrrell-P34-DV_10-MH_e06[1].jpg

J

John Rixon

I'd have a long hard look at AK interactive' True Metal, it goes on really easily, and is buffable, I.e. you can polish it with lots or a q tip, allowing for a moderate diversity of surface. It is odd stuff, looks like make-up in a tube, and shouldn't really work, but it does!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Another option jason is to use metallic pigments or more specifically the baked type of eye shadow. I used this effect on my super sabre recently and it can give a nice burnt look . Im on the iphone at the mo so cant paste a link to the build ( well i probably could but dont know how!!) if you use the search bar and look for 'heat staining experiment' you should find it. , hope this helps cheers tony

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Forgot to mention it goes on best onto a matt surface so after applying the silver a matt coat is best then apply the eye shadow and seal it in with a gloss coat if needed