Help - Mr Hobby paint colours

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Having problems converting Mr Hobby paints C20 - Light Blue and C73 Light Grey to Vallejo Air or even colour for my up and coming Russian Helix KA27 build. I have been looking for ages now and my brain cell has hit a road block!! Seems paint makers have lots of choice for Russian Air Force but the Russian Navy gets little choice.

Any hints - tips or clues will be most welcomed!!!

TIA
Doug

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
yep. Dont build Russian navy lol. but no fun in that.
try here:

A closer look though shows that exactly the two colours you have hit upon are not on the list. Do you have the names of the "Russian" colours

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
yep. Dont build Russian navy lol. but no fun in that.
try here:

A closer look though shows that exactly the two colours you have hit upon are not on the list. Do you have the names of the "Russian" colours
Thank you for replying Ian. Yes, Russian Navy - bad choice for colours!!
Took a couple of hours last evening and reached some sort of compromise with the two colours.
C20, Light Blue. (Albeit it looks a lightish green). I eyeballed it to roughly Vallejo 71.319 - Greyish Blue
C73, Light Grey. Again, eyeballing the colour on the Vallejo colour chart I came up with 71.342 - Russian AF Lt Blue.
I could be totally wrong but both C20 and C73 kicked out Vallejo 71.319 as an alternative colour match. Hence reverting to the Mark One eyeball for the final decision.
Doug

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Doug,

Mr Hobby C73 is "Aircraft Grey", converted to Vallejo Air = 71.338 "Russian AF Grey Blue". C20 is "Light Blue", no Vallejo equivalent.

Suggestion, go through Scalemates and find the version you are intending to build, there will be downloadable instruction sheets which contain colour guides. Maybe this will help you to find your paints.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thank you chaps for all the advice and comments. I have now sourced what I think is the nearest colours to what the Reds used in their Navy. The few dodgy problem paints were eyeballed to the nearest my eyes could make using a mix of the conversion charts available!!!
Paint sets for the RAF, and for the German Air Force, even the Russian Air Forces. But is there a set for the Russian Navy - Is there b*********. Err - No!!!
Still have some hurdles to overcome on the Sea King. Decals for one!! :rolling: