Help needed for this one please

N

noble

Hi guys i am willing to give this one a try so can anyone help, iam looking for a decent size kit of th USS Phoenix otherwise known as the general belgrano, does anyone have any suggestions on where to find one please help.

F

Fenlander

USS Phoenix was a Brooklyn class Cruiser laid down in 1935 and transferred to Argentina in 1951. Although I have found some reference to Brooklyn class in 1:350 in resin and metal, they are between $250 - $350, a tad pricy for this GB me thinks. One other I have found is at Netmerchants but currently out of stock and that is the USS St Louis (CL49) which is described as a Brooklyn Class 1941 so about the same period as the Belgrano/Phoenix. Link here. I suggest that you search for Brooklyn class and try to get one that is similar to the one you want. I know classes did vary slightly but I assume that at this scale, unless major changes were made, one of the Phoenix's sister ships would be close in appearance.

Wikipedia lists 7 Brooklyn class ships, one being the Phoenix but the last is CL48 so I am not too sure about the St Louis which is CL49.

Sorry I could not be of more help Scott.

N

noble

Graham got that link mate cheers for the info just had a look at the kit and there are more similarities than differences so if i can get this i will be doing a rather contriversial dio on the sinking of the Belgrano.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
try taking a look at the Nashville. Same class, and you could find this one in 1/350, so you would only need a pair of glasses and not a maginfing glass for those tiny 1/700 ships!

USS Nashville (Brooklyn Class Light Cruiser) by Iron Shipwright

What I want to know is where are you going to get all those life boats from?

But the way, the sea was very choppy when she went over. Have fun!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

The Nashville is the one I found at 1:350 but at over $200, it is a bit steep Could be me but I could not find the model listed at Iron Shipwright's website. The review looks good though.

N

noble

Hi guys thanks for the assist but i think if i can't find a decently priced kit i will give this falklands GB a miss, cheers lads.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I confess that my boat is not being floated either. The Falklands was a battle of extreams. Either it was air to air, air to ship, ship to air or mostly the good old mk I Boot.

Bit of a shame but I think I might just spring this one too.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

OK, it is obvious from the lack of comments from a lot of people and your posts above that the Falklands idea was is a bad one so I am cancelling the Falklands one altogether. Cheers for your feedback guys.

N

noble

Sorry Graham didn't mean to offened anyone here so i come with a peace offering what about somthing modern iraq, the yomkipur war, or even WW1... ok that last one was not modern but there is plenty of reference material and even more kits to choose from. Again i appologise if i created decent in the ranks that wasn't my intention.

scott

F

Fenlander

No one has been offended Scott, I took a gamble and lost. No problem at all mate.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry Graham my comment was not ment to be as hard as it might of come across. The only thing that I have at the moment that could fit the bill is Lusty and she will need more than the time frame allowes. The most of the real fighting was done on the ground. Remember the great 'yomp'? There is without doubt great scope in the subject but that deep infatuantion with WWII and German techincal superiority added to the Americans where the guys that won both WWI and WWII has gotten behind the industry and somewhat squashed things.

Iraq/Iran is a good idea, and atleast there will be a good choice of models.

I must confess that If there was a better avaliability of Para's and SAS figures that did not cost an arm and a leg, I would have found something. And thats comming for some one that does not enjoy figures!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

No worries Ian, Lusty didn't serve in the Falklands campaign anyway lol.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No but her sister Invincile did. lusty was only involved in the aftermath so she was involved in some kind of way.

Ian M