Help please on how to overcome a decal problem

H

hamish

Hi, just signed up in the hope of getting an answer to my decal problem.

I need to print a specific decal for a 1/72 Airfix Lancaster Mkll i.e. Jl-L2 with the roundel in the middle, also the aircraft identification LL678. I have already printed this to the size and format I require onto clear water slide paper and sealed it with correct spray varnish. The problem is when applied to the aircraft, on a black background, the lettering and roundel do not stand out, in fact they can hardly be seen. I went through the process of brightening the lettering but still it did not show up. I had some spare decals supplied with an old kit and cut one out and soaked it and slid it in position and it obviously showed up bright, as you would expect. I quickly removed it before it dried and looked on the back and saw each letter and the roundel had a white backing, this I then realised was what made it stand out. Now how can I overcome this problem please?

I have a sheet of white decal paper but haven't tried it, I assume the whole area would be white, even though the decal lettering would stand out.

Thanks in anticipation

First Name
Mike
That is the main drawback with ink-jet printed decals, Hamish: the inks are translucent, so although they work fine if applied over a white or very pale colour, anything darker will show through and affect the colour of the decals. Putting them on black, as you've found out, makes them pretty much invisible. Some possible solutions:

- Print the roundel onto white decal paper, and cut out using a circle cutter. You could print the roundels with a thick black border, so any slight deviations of the blade won't show.

- Mask and spray a white circle onto your model (again, using a circle cutter to cut the circle from masking tape), and apply the decal over the top.

- ModelArt Decals produce sheets of white circles specifically for this application, in sizes from 4mm to 16.5mm. Apply them, print your roundel to the same size and apply over the top.

EDIT: I've just re-read your post more carefully and see that you need lettering too, in which case only my first suggestion would apply (printing onto white decal paper). Instead of trying to cut out individual letters and numbers, I'd suggest printing the codes etc on black rectangles or at least with thick black outlines, making them easier to cut out.

View attachment 95349

LM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hamish

Thank you Mike for your reply, as you say your first suggestion is the one which I will try and as it is a black background only the letters and roundels should show. I will let you know how it goes.

Bob

D

Deleted member 3568

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net hamish. I had the same problem and I did the same as mike suggested and it worked fine so good luck eager to see the final article.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
That is the main drawback with ink-jet printed decals, Hamish: the inks are translucent,
Mike is this also the same with a Laser printer, Seriously considering one and I think I read that you print yours on a laser printer... Or was that just the paper you use...

Ian M

H

hamish

\ said:
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net hamish. I had the same problem and I did the same as mike suggested and it worked fine so good luck eager to see the final article.
Have just printed them off, waiting for them to dry. You just know when something is going to work don't you!!

Thanks

Have posted this on another forum which I have been using on and off for a while, loads of views but no replies, first time here and straight away a solution, thanks to all.

H

hamish

\ said:
Have just printed them off, waiting for them to dry. You just know when something is going to work don't you!!Thanks

Have posted this on another forum which I have been using on and off for a while, loads of views but no replies, first time here and straight away a solution, thanks to all.
Just a bit of history on the reason for this thread which may be of interest to the forum members.

My wife’s Uncle F/Sgt Don Savage was a Rear Gunner in a MKll Lancaster Bomber and was shot down over Holland on its return from an operation against Gelsenkirchen, Germany. One of her cousins, Don who is named after him, has built up quite a history of Uncle Don. We know from the internet that the plane was Jl-L2 (LL678) fondly know as ‘Lily Mars’. Lily Mars was a character in a the film “Presenting Lily Mars” which came out 1943, Lily was played by Judy Garland and was based on a novel by Booth Tarkington.

I started building an Airfix Lancaster a couple of years ago with the intention of giving it to Don to add to his other memorabilia but at the time a MKll was not available so I sent for a MKll conversion kit, which worked well, however I messed up the canopy of the Rear Gunners turret, I used the wrong glue and it was a real mess, and this is the main reason I was building it. I lost interest, not knowing what to do, I didn’t realise then spare parts are available from Airfix. I may add at this point Don does not know about the Lanc. It is going to be a surprise. I have now overcome the problems and now it is nearly complete and at the stage to make the decals which has been a problem until now. So hopefully it can be finished soon.

Hope this is of interest and will post some more info when it is compete.

D

Deleted member 3568

Very interesting, it's nice to have a story to a build.

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Have just printed them off, waiting for them to dry. You just know when something is going to work don't you!!
Looking forward to seeing the results, Bob. As I'm sure you're aware, you'll need to seal the inkjet print before soaking the decal in water, otherwise it'll run.

\ said:
Mike is this also the same with a Laser printer, Seriously considering one and I think I read that you print yours on a laser printer... Or was that just the paper you use...Ian M
Ian, I use laser paper but I'm very fortunate to own a (still operational) ALPS printer, which is able to print white using waterproof inks. They're no longer in production of course and the inks are get harder to find, but it's given me stellar service for years. :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ian, I use laser paper but I'm very fortunate to own a (still operational) ALPS printer
Well whos a lucky bugger. lol.

I often wonder: Laser printer medium is a plastic powder of some kind that is melted and bonded to the paper by the laser... Why cant one of the big names makers get their heads around making a white toner for their laser printer...? Sorry for high-jacking your thread Hamish.

Ian M