Help with new camera

R

roconnell

Hi folks, firstly Happy New Year to you all!

I know this is not model related but thought this may be the best place to start to get an answer to my question.

We have recently purchased a Panasonic DMC-LZ20 and quite honestly its making me and the wife pull our hair out with our old point and shoot being the one that could take better pictures.

The problem we are having is that when taking photos in intelligent auto images are often blurred. Have taken scenic pictures and ones of models without problems but when its moving (even slightly) such as the children then this is when we have the problem, even tried the sport setting which does not seem to be much better?

Now I'm not a photographic expert just a point and shoot guy :smiling3: but I do know our basic old camera did certainly capture pictures of the kids opening Christmas presents without being all blurry, unlike this one :sad:

Have looked at the manual but this does seem very limited.

Have tried with both flash on but this does not always seems to be the answer either.

Perhaps someone on here could advise?

Thanks

Rich

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Does it have a stabilisation option? My lenses have anti-shake and so does the camera, also if your pics are blurred it could be the film speed too slow for the conditions, try different iso speeds

S

Scuff

If you post an example with the EXIF data included, I am sure we could advise of the problems that you are experiencing.

R

roconnell

Here are a couple of examples, nipper is not the fastest of movers and as far as we are aware the image stabilizer was on with both as in intelligent auto mode with one image and portrait mode in the other.

Image 1 Lighting was via x 3 60w bulbs and the other natural light.

Similar images are with parts blurred such as limbs etc with face sharp and wondering if this is the auto focusing which cannot deal with movement?

Have been experimenting today and have found that in auto ensuring the flash is on it does have a marked improvement.

Image 1 (opening present)

F-stop f/3.3

Exposure Time: 1/10 sec

ISO Speed: ISO-400

Exposure bias: 0 step

Focal Length: 6mm

Max Apature 3.263

Meter: Multi spot

Flash Mode: No flash, compulsory

Exposure Mode: Creative program (biased to depth of field)

Image 2 (playing with toys)

F-stop f/3.2

Exposure Time: 1/13

ISO Speed: ISO-400

Exposure bias: 0 step

Focal Length: 5mm

Max Apature : 3.263

Meter: Multi spot

Flash Mode: No flash, compulsory

Exposure Mode: Portrait mode

Would be most grateful if you could shed some light on this and offer any tips. failing this I'm not sure but I think there is a chap at my model club who does photography so will find out in a few weeks time to see if he can help also and have a look at the camera.

Many Thanks both

Rich

View attachment 57769

View attachment 57770

P1010605.jpg

P1010805.jpg

D

David 317

Hi Rich,

Exposure Time: 1/13 is the main problem. 1/60 is the min for hand held! The camera needs to be on a tripod at these slow shutter speeds.

you need to either fire the flash or increase iso.

If you increase the iso the shots will go a little grainy.

Cute baby!

Hope this helps.

David

R

roconnell

Thanks for this David

Thinking about it we have always been use to a basic camera which always set the flash off as needed.

I think what we need to do is pop the flash up routinely when indoors me thinks?

Just fired a shot as the little man is wide awake at this hour in a dark room whilst he is enjoying waving his arms about franticly and with the flash its caught a crisp image without any blurring :smiling3:

Think I'm going to try and get the chap at the club to give me a few lessons also to really get the best out of this camera as its a shame to let all the settings go to waste.

Thanks

Rich

M

mobear

Hey Richard i tend to play with all the settings until it all comes together,the good thing about digital cameras you see what you did if you hate it of it looks bad delete it,no film,this is the best thing about modern technology,only thing you waste is batteries lol

mobear

S

Scuff

Don't forget that image stabilisation will not stop subject motion, only faster shutter speeds will do that, a tough job indoors with low light. The trade off is a sharp but more noisy image by using a higher iso speed.

Obviously flash will freeze the subject, but can be unflattering unless bouncing it off of walls or ceilings to reduce the harsh shadows.

For now, use the widest aperture that you can, and then turn up the iso until you get 1/60 sec or more shutter speed. It may be a noisy image, but noise can be reduced in post processing, an unsharp subject can rarely be saved.

C

capt-pugwash

yeah you got to get shutter up to at least 1/60th+ or use flash,(the flash will freeze pics at any speed)i see from site that you can select manual which will give you control over shutter and aperture, i think on your camera you first select aperture then shutter until correct exposure.

not sure if this applies to your camera but on mine for example you can alter the iso speed to give faster shutter speed. the other thing i do (quite a lot) is do a search on youtube for demo/tutorials on your camera.

good luck

jeff.