Hi from the wet Netherlands! Hope the dikes are strong enough

First Name
Mark
Hi! Everyone!

First; the best wishes for 2024!
Well; I’m Mark and last year I stopped working, and enjoying the retirement…But the long dark days we are “enjoying” now gives me a hard time passing these shitty days with hard wind, and gales,so I picked up my old hobby again..building models!
It has been some years and now I’m experiencing now airbrush and all the modern weathering systems… the hard way…

Meanwhile I’ve build a Panther, late war style 1:35, and after watching several youtube videos I’m still not convinced how to spray the right proper way the 3 tone colours…It’s most about the mixing, and pressure I’m concerned about…
I’m using acrylics, Ammo and Valejo colours.
The base colour is Dark yellow, wich was the easiest part; I’ve sprayed the Green colour now, and it hardly “covered“…or blew away when spraying…(30psi) Maybe paint too thin? The red/brown colour sprayed better, but with some overspray…

So; my first experience wasn’t excellent at all, but I could use some advise here!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Mark

First Name
Mark
Hi! Everyone!

First; the best wishes for 2024!
Well; I’m Mark and last year I stopped working, and enjoying the retirement…But the long dark days we are “enjoying” now gives me a hard time passing these shitty days with hard wind, and gales,so I picked up my old hobby again..building models!
It has been some years and now I’m experiencing now airbrush and all the modern weathering systems… the hard way…

Meanwhile I’ve build a Panther, late war style 1:35, and after watching several youtube videos I’m still not convinced how to spray the right proper way the 3 tone colours…It’s most about the mixing, and pressure I’m concerned about…
I’m using acrylics, Ammo and Valejo colours.
The base colour is Dark yellow, wich was the easiest part; I’ve sprayed the Green colour now, and it hardly “covered“…or blew away when spraying…(30psi) Maybe paint too thin? The red/brown colour sprayed better, but with some overspray…

So; my first experience wasn’t excellent at all, but I could use some advise here!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Mark
Welcome Mark.
Welcome Mark.
Thanx Waspie!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Mark and welcome.
Remedy for the hard wind and gales - leave the baked beans alone....
Just started retirement, welcome to the oldies section.
30psi sounds a bit fierce, try 20psi or even down to 15. Get a scrap bit of plastic to practice on first so that you have the pressure and paint mix to your liking. There is plenty of advice on here regarding airbrushing and painting.
Put up some pics of your work, we do not laugh at anyones attempts, we have all been there before and we are still learning despite our experience. By putting up the pcs we can better see what needs to be done.
Again welcome
Mike.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I echo what Mike says, I'm a recent new boy, (71). I now run my psi in the 15 to 22psi range. I found that worked for me with the mix I make up for my airbrush. You'll hear often on here, experiment, we all have different equipment and what may be good for one won't necessarily be suitable for another.
I read and listened to the guys on here and finally developed my own system that works for me.
I can also vouch for the no-one will laugh or adversely comment on anything you produce. You will get advice and help if needed.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome to the best forum around. Create a thread for your next build and I guarantee you will get polite, helpful advice. Most importantly join in, have fun and enjoy the hobby.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Welcome, youll find a fountain of knowledge here but the fountain of youth has left the chat;):tears-of-joy:

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi and welcome mate.... post up some pictures? Cheers

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Mark.

30psi is definitely too fierce as Mike says. 15-20psi is much better.

I'm actually coming 3 colour camo right now and have had the same problem in the past....

The safest way I have found to do it is NOT to try and cover it in green, in one go on each patch....especially for small patches.

The best way I have managed to do it so far is to put a very light coat down on one patch, do the same on the next patch and keep going.... then by the time you have get back to the first patch the paint will have had a chance to dry..... Repeat as above until you get the coverage you want.

Others may have other ideas but this is what worked for me.

ATB

Andrew

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
mark, it's a warm welcome to the mad house from me as well. You have found a great bunch of people on here hope you enjoy your stay.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mark

Also, in case you've not seen it, have a look at the below video.

I found it invaluable when I first got and AB. Plus the channel owner is a very talented modeller!

ATB.

Andrew