HKM 1/48 Avro Lancaster Mk1

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What can I say about this kit?

It is a good one and I recommend it. The best Lancaster in this scale most certainly.

Fit was good except for the wing tip lights. I had a big problem with these as they needed filling and sanding to make them blend into the wing tips. For this the rather weak glues we use for transparencies was inadequate and they repeatedly kept falling off. If I built one of these again (I won’t) I would firmly cement, yes cement, the wing tip transparencies into place, fill and sand them and at the end of the build sacrifice accuracy to paint them a solid red or green, as appropriate and gloss them. It would save a lot of frustration.

There is one other moan about this kit, I have never had so many problems with final fitting before.

It would help if instructions were clearer, if the many aerials had location points (even if they need drilling) and, of course, to properly explain exactly which of them applies to the Mk1 aircraft. Trying to find out online was impossible for the aircraft I was building. In the end it was just pot luck.

If I had attached these vulnerable parts earlier in the build life would have been easier, but of course they would not have survived! So ignore the two missing blade aerials from in front of the cockpit, one of them just disappeared while in my hand! Literally. Ignore the missing ‘box’ that should be under the nose, it was supplied in etch, I bent it into shape and painted it, no issues there but it was meant to glue to the fuselage (no exact position indicated) by the thin edges of the part. Suffice to say I just ended up with an area of the fuselage needing a clean up of dried c.a. and no ‘box’ as in my struggles it folded in on itself, broke and ended up binned! Ignore also the mass balances on the tail, they are all there but the angles!

Why did I not scratch the two blade aerials and the box? Why did I not remove the mass balances, clean it up, repaint the area and reattach? Build fatigue, I simply got to the point where I wanted to finish and move on.

Please do not be put off building this model. It is a good kit, just take my warnings and adjust your approach accordingly. One tip - a lot of parts are very fragile and the undercarriage parts gave me a particular problem. I bought a white metal set after deciding not to buy a brass set for £60. I was wrong. The white metal parts for. SAC are useless, grit your teeth and get the brass set regardless of that cost. I only used a few spars from the white metal set and that brass one would have been so much better.

Anyway, the photos.

D7FCC209-430E-4FEA-A1A8-FF4107B8B9B9.jpeg
5AFAA250-F4FE-41BE-B08A-58A6F3A10CC5.jpeg
B920BF71-80C0-4338-8AB7-1CEC1BEFE8F9.jpeg
F41544F2-554F-4BB9-85FE-D91742151D68.jpeg
3BDA8DE4-64E5-48DD-8DCC-3DC207102C4F.jpeg
7197F39F-9D83-466F-BBC4-92F00235EEFB.jpeg
C6E667D7-6BA4-4877-9958-51079D83903A.jpeg
84822A7D-8447-4F28-A003-41062118F0D3.jpeg
D715F107-F49C-4B42-840F-D7E80EDFA2A2.jpeg

I really want to get back to 1/32 scale but I have decided to get on and polish off the last of my 1/48 stash first or I will never get to build them. Just five kits for reasonably quick builds.
After these I very much doubt whether I will return to small scale again…..

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Wonderful stuff, Barry.
Most of us would never have known about the faults if you hadn't pointed them out- a superb build nonetheless

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I know we are the most severe judges of our models, but yours is a superb build with a very neat colour finish. I'm fascinated by the cleanliness of your transparencies (your meaning those of your Lancaster, not your personal transparencies, which would be a too personal comment if transparency ever was a human quality :upside::thinking::smiling4:).

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
What a result Barry. That is a beautiful Lanc - the paintwork is up to your usual high standards and the weathering is deftly done.
Very cool!
On to it’s bigger brother now?
Cheers
Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The small faults that you mention aside, you have made a most excellent job of building and painting this beast.

That paint work is really nice.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Excellent work ,love looking at what you wingy blokes do ,Iknow not big compared to 32nd but still big ,big enough that what you do has to be right as its there for all to see ,my eye catching best part of your build ........the tyre's it might seem a stupid little thing but there bang on they look like tyre's ,daft I know but they are part of the whole thing. Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely job barry , paintwork and markings are excellent , cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Despite your problems Barry that really is a lovely looking Lanc.

Very well done.

Andrew

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great job, I had similar struggles with scratchbuilding a wing tip Light for the Arma Hobby Hurricane after the original was eaten by the carpet monster. After a lot of experimentation I found that AK’s Wolverine PVA did the job.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great job, I had similar struggles with scratchbuilding a wing tip Light for the Arma Hobby Hurricane after the original was eaten by the carpet monster. After a lot of experimentation I found that AK’s Wolverine PVA did the job.
Five minute epoxy is good as well. Dries clear, holds very well, and doesn’t fog the part. A bit overkill for normal transparency work, but works well if the part needs reshaping and polishing. Just needs supporting while it dries.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Barry i cant wait till you get onto that big lanc thats what im waitin for please ASAP
CHRISB

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Knowing your attention to detail and paint work Barry the Committee have awarded you
The Dogs_0.jpg THE DOGS 2 MOD.png
Congratulations .

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
WELL Barry i cant wait till you get onto that big lanc thats what im waitin for please ASAP
CHRISB
LOL Chris. Once I get the last few 1/48’s finished I have some really great 1/32’s lined up. The ZM Raiden to ease back into manscale, the Trumpy P38 Lightning my son bought me for my birthday last year, the Hobbyboss B24 follows to get some practise on a really large model as the Lanc might be easy to handle after that one! Lots to look forward to.