HMS Victory as a Storyboard Diorama.

J

JohnReid

It has been my experience that ship modelers have more difficulty in figuring out the sequence of the rigging than the rigging itself.I know I sure did.

When I rigged my Victory I only had a couple of ropes that were out of sequence and these I belayed to the shrouds rather than the foot of the mast.I figured that was pretty good considering this is a very complicated ship to rig properly.

This info will only be available on my photobucket and is intended for my modeling buds only.Good luck. Cheers! John.

My photobucket:

Pictures by JohnReid - Photobucket

Look for the album Friggin' in the Riggin'

J

JohnReid

Simply put ,to rig a ship you generally work from front to back,bottom to top and inside to outside.I started with the bobstays and worked aft.

Note:Bobstays [2] refers to their location in the drawing or diagram (in my photobucket ,look for the Album ; "Friggin...... "

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi John,

This is a truly wonderful build which shows off your fantastic modelling skills. I understand why you've left the wood in a 'natural' finish. What I don't understand is why you've not painted the shield at the bows. It's certainly not because you haven't got the skill.......

Gern

PS I'm only curious - I'm not trying to criticise.

J

JohnReid

Hi Gern!

I kind of like the brass-wood look and I didn't want anything to be too dominant and draw attention away from the rest of the composition.Glad you like it.Cheers! John.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hi Gern!I kind of like the brass-wood look and I didn't want anything to be too dominant and draw attention away from the rest of the composition.Glad you like it.Cheers! John.
Point taken. It does kind of stand out a little!

Gern

J

JohnReid

The above pic was taken today.I was trying to compose something a little different using my Nelson bust and the model.The only problem is that the bust is fixed permanently in the case.I was severely limited in my camera angles ,lighting etc... because of this fact.

I tried silhouettes and different pics of all kinds.Normally you would not want the subject in the foreground to be out of focus but rules are made to be broken,so I tried to make the bust look like a B&W chalk image that someone drew on a photograph.I am quite happy with the results.

T

tigertc

I am adoring the pictures of this outstanding model. May i suggest with the one above that you try having Nelson in focus, with the ship only slightly out of focus. I feel this would give a much better feeling of "looming grandeur".

J

JohnReid

\ said:
I am adoring the pictures of this outstanding model. May i suggest with the one above that you try having Nelson in focus, with the ship only slightly out of focus. I feel this would give a much better feeling of "looming grandeur".
I will give it a try! Thanks

C

cryton 5

:karate1:hello fellow modeller

just looked at your'e picture's and too say envy lovely and be proud hope in the not too near future too build too scale such model lovely detail i'am only been modelling since febuary so i'am a amaeteur but am getting the bug !!