HMS Victory as a Storyboard Diorama.

First Name
James
all i can say is i am truely humbled by your ability and talent. i can only hope i will have half the skill you have 40 years from now. amazing. my jaw droped on the first page. then i read your story 5500 hours. your perserverance is gob samacking. sir i salute you.

J

JohnReid

Anchors. Victory carried seven anchors,2 Bowers,2 Sheets,1 Stream,2 Kedge.

The pic above is one of the Bower anchors.These anchors kept the ship from drifting.The flucks(hooks)stuck in the seabed and helped keep the anchor from shifting.

The anchor's cables huge weight was what really stopped the ship from moving when at anchor.Because of the combined weight of anchor and cable the whole crew had to help haul it in .

J

jim.wiggins

John your model of the Victory is out of this world, what can I say other than thank you for sharing an absolutely wonderful model

JIM WIGGINS

J

JohnReid

The Figurehead etc...

The figurehead on the Victory is a shield of the coat-of arms of Great Britain.Normally painted, but I chose to finish mine in gold which I think goes better with wood/brass color scheme.

The two ports at the bow with the vertical doors open to the sick bay.

The cathead,the angled beam that the blue and white officer is standing on contains a sheave block or pulley for lashing the anchor for storage.

J

JohnReid

Bobstays and Bowsprit shrouds.

Three bobstays are fitted between the head and the bowsprit.Note that the stays are wormed, parceled and served as required.I used linen line for this ,which I made up on a ropewalk constructed from old mechanno parts.

The forestay and fore preventer stay have large wooded hearts at their ends,which are reeved togethe

J

JohnReid

HMS Victory Rigging.

If you guys would like I will post the sequence that I used to rig this ship.I kept a log over the many years of building this ship so I might as well put it to good use.

I have noticed that most books on rigging actually do not give you a step by step rigging sequence which leads to a lot of confusion.

My model is more than just "harbour rigged "as I wanted to depict the ship as she would be just before hauling up the sails from storage and repair.

In the beginning I will give just the basic sequence and if I get the time I will fill in the details as to rope sizes etc...

Because I post to more than just ship related websites,please let me know if you are interested and if so,I could start a new thread just dealing with this subject. Cheers! John.

J

JohnReid

This post was from another thread on another website but I thought that you guys might be interested.

Wow, spectacular model. A great showpiece of skill and patience. The rigging... unbelievable.

But, the figures are very distracting to me. Uniforms are too blue/red etc and too glossy. Colours are way too saturated - they ought to fade with distance.

My response:

Actually that was done on purpose so that the figures would not get lost in the rest of the detail.This is a decorative,storyboard type diorama and is meant to tell the story of life at sea on one of these old warships.The figures are really more important than the rest of the diorama in my view.This diorama was done for children and the young at heart and is an educational tool. The intense coloration helps me tell the story.

Cheers! John.

B

bribri10307

for give the spelling im going to be bilding the hms victory and ive been looking for stuff on all of the rigging and sales