HMS Warspite back on the workbench

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Hi all my previous 3d printed stuff just breaks off make sure you hold the whole figure before breaking as for painting all i can offer is get a real detailed brush :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
How do I get these off the fret without breaking them? Anyone had previous experience?
Saw through the sprue underneath their feet with a fine-toothed modeller’s saw.

How do I paint them!!!!!?
Before taking them from the sprue :smiling3: At least, I think I would paint their main colour before doing that, then paint details like faces when they’re loose.

Reactions: JR

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
Saw through the sprue underneath their feet with a fine-toothed modeller’s saw.

Before taking them from the sprue :smiling3: At least, I think I would paint their main colour before doing that, then paint details like faces when they’re loose.
Gently snapped this one off with tweezers, don’t think that will work where there are more than the two location points.E865369E-E83B-4153-A153-71FEB412BA63.jpeg789D65E1-0BFE-4530-9C2D-C39C09859854.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It will work fine as long as the attachment points are weaker than the ankles slightly above them ;) I wouldn’t try it with the sweepers, though, or the ones with supports under their hands.

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
Right.
That’s all of the rigging I am prepared to mess about with, especially as I can’t seem to find 2 references that are the same!!!!
She is now going into the base permanently so that I can finish the sea and look at how I deal with the crane and Walrus.
Just some weathering work on ships boats, then they can go on as well. Oh, and then the figures!!!!!!!!IMG_0465.jpeg

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
She’s in the water!
Just done an initial fill of any gaps with Liquitex, will let that dry out and see what extra work is needed.
There are a couple of ‘spare’ ships boats so I might fill the void on her Starboard bow with some extra interest.
Can’t imagine she would be winching the aircraft aboard while under way so I will have zero or minimal wake to manufacture.
The picture caption says she was anchored while bringing the plane aboard, as I have already fixed the anchors (no forward planning) this is not an option without remedial work. A bit of artistic licence never hurts.IMG_0466.jpegIMG_0467.jpeg

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
Walrus and motor launch ‘crewed up’. My hands and brain are now jelly!!!!!!!
Don’t know whether I have the skill/patience/perseverance to do enough crew for the ship itself!!
Am now moving back onto the sea base coz it seems to be ‘drinking’ Liquitex. Hopefully one last application will fill all of the gaps.
IMG_0473.jpegIMG_0472.jpegIMG_0474.jpeg

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
The technicalities of how the walrus is winched aboard are pure guesswork on my part (apart from the AOTS reference included earlier). Just looks ’about right’ IMHO. Likewise the figures, no matter how much I attempted to make the positions and poses look random, they don’t.
couldn’t get the stretched sprue fine than that without it breaking!IMG_0666.jpeg