Holding figures for painting.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Saw this on YouTube and improved it ???. A lot of people on here, me included seem to have difficulty holding figures for painting. So anyway what I saw was sticking the figure with ca to a screw which can then be screwed into a foam block. OK a lot of use this way, what I've done is added a damn big washer. Makes it very easy to hold and turn the figure for painting.1000019297.jpg
Someone might find it useful. There again grandma and eggs.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one andy , ive just finished painting a1/72 figure and I struggled with him stuck on the end of a lollipop stick with doubled over tape , this way is far better . I’ll remember this for the next ones
Cheers tony ( sucking eggs )

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Golf tees and blue tack work as well.
True, though I've not had much success with blue tack unless it's around the whole boot. That aside it's more the big washer that makes handling easier. I have problems with holding anything small whilst painting, my fingers cramp up.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
True, though I've not had much success with blue tack unless it's around the whole boot. That aside it's more the big washer that makes handling easier. I have problems with holding anything small whilst painting, my fingers cramp up.
I know what you mean, I get the same cramping problem. As Andrew says, my figures are mounted on coins as I use them for gaming, and they give a good purchase to hold on to. Looks like you have a good solution there, but if you do want an alternative, empty Tamiya paint bottles also work well. An adaptation could be drill the heel of the figure and glue a wire in (also allows you to mount them on the base), drill the paint pot and use blue tack to stabilise the ensemble.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Double sided sticky tape works well if you can get a good purchase, at least on smaller figures.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
but if you do want an alternative, empty Tamiya paint bottles also work well. An adaptation could be drill the heel of the figure and glue a wire in
I've done something similar in the past as I find the bottles much easier to hold. I hot glue a coil of wire to the lid and the end is pushed into a heel or other sensitive area!

1000003218.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I've done something similar in the past as I find the bottles much easier to hold. I hot glue a coil of wire to the lid and the end is pushed into a heel or other sensitive area!

View attachment 505689
That’s better than my idea :thumb2: Being the bluetackophile I am I’d probably use a paper clip and blue tack it on the lid ;)

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, as with most things modelling, seems everyone has their 'go too' way of holding figures. Interesting to see the different ways though.
Not sure about defacing the Kings coinage though, or do you use euros :hungry::hungry:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

View attachment 505689
Andy..... those figures are SUPER!!
(Sorry for the diversion Andy.... That's the OTHER Andy :thumb2: )
Cheers, Andy...(no,not that one,or the other one....THIS ONE!:tears-of-joy:)

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Andy. And Andy :smiling5:

They are currently languishing on the shelf of doom in an unfinished diorama. Hopefully the mood will take me to dig it out and complete it one day!
Ah Andy, figures as good as those should be for people to see, not on the self of doom.