How do you?

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Clean up small parts that have to come off the spruce. I’m always worried they will ping out out of tweezers so there must be a better way?

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
If its possible glue a bit of sprue to somewhere on the part that wont be seen and snip off later.
Stuff the part in blue tack leave just the bit you need to clean exposed.
I have put masking on the end of my tweezers before, seems to stop the bit pinging out quite so easily but still a risk.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Mick i cant think of better way like Mark says in tweezzers is always a risk i some time cut the small part off the sprue an file the surface to be gluded nice an flat an then with my C/A they have a very tiny pipe that can be fitted to the glue end an i put about a pin head of glue to the part an then glue an fit it to where it should go an then gently break the C/A part an as its only a pin head of glue it wont be seen as to small an then paint an no fear of the carpet monster gettin its lunch lol
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A real problem Mick which I'm sure we all have.
I’m always worried they will ping out out of tweezers
..... and they never seem to go in the direction you think they went!!
I certainly have no answer except I keep my finger nails slightly longer than I would normally to help grip tiny parts. Also if a part does ping into space I search systematically and if the part isn't found I hoover the area. Remember to start with an empty hoover otherwise you'll have to search through a pile of fluff, crumbs and dog hair to find the errant part.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It depends on the part. Some I hold carefully between my fingers to clean up, others I press against my cutting mat with a finger, and for those too fragile, I do like Paul says: glue them in place first, and only clean up with a sharp knife once the glue has set. That’s an especially good method for things like grab handles on tank hatches, and similar long, thin bits that are only attached at one or two points but have attachment points in the middle.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Usually cut out the bit of sprue with them on so they are easier to hold and clean up. Only cut off the sprue when I’m nearly finished. DSPAIE nippers make the last cut quite clean as well so there is little to finish off.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I basically have no kind of tip to offer and suffer maybe more than most from this phenomenon,
but I do have Missus that can find any lost part in mere seconds....but ONLY after I have searched and cursed for at least 2o minutes:confounded:

Jim.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I basically have no kind of tip to offer and suffer maybe more than most from this phenomenon,
but I do have Missus that can find any lost part in mere seconds....but ONLY after I have searched and cursed for at least 2o minutes:confounded:

Jim.
Oh! wait.....small medical hemostat clamps, they will never launch a part.

Jim.

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sometimes, for whatever reason, we are ultimately forced to use tweezers.
I was cursing mine as the tips would twist and ping the part away.
Then my wife bought me a new pair. These do not suffer from the twisting problem.
They are AK Interactive AK-9161 HG Angled Tweezers and John has them in ScaleModelShop. They are brilliant!
John

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Take a pair of flat tweezers, c/a some 240 wet n dry to each of the faces, allow to dry and then trim by holding the jaws closed and using a knife to trim away the excess. Then you can hold your errant pieces reasonably safely.. Also when cleaning up place your hands inside one of the sprue bags or make a bigger one using selotape....
Hope this helps...
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Take a pair of flat tweezers, c/a some 240 wet n dry to each of the faces, allow to dry and then trim by holding the jaws closed and using a knife to trim away the excess. Then you can hold your errant pieces reasonably safely.. Also when cleaning up place your hands inside one of the sprue bags or make a bigger one using selotape....
Hope this helps...
Mike.
Unfortunately Wibble in following your instructions I managed to CA my fingers to the tweezers and the 240 wet and dry please advise further as now it appears I've sat on the ca as well .:disappointed:

Wobble.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Unfortunately Wibble in following your instructions I managed to CA my fingers to the tweezers and the 240 wet and dry please advise further as now it appears I've sat on the ca as well .:disappointed:

Wobble.
Dear John, I would suggest asking Christine to bring you food as you maybe stuck to the chair as well.

Plus ask for the tablet to look at the huge choice of replacement trousers. It's either that or a rather large patch on the bum bits!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

Wobble.
US LOT GETTIN CARELESS as i an James have had accidents with c/a an are you unstuck John

• Love
Reactions: JR

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike

Wobble.
Well Wobble,
I do not know what to say about your predicament. I am now taking it that since you posted yesterday and you are stuck to the chair, you had to lay your head on the bench to get some sleep and asuming there was the forgotten puddle of c/a, your head is now stuck to the bench, and as the bench is only sitting on top of a foot stool and the stool is only 10 inches in height, you are bent over at an angle where your head is between your legs.... But look on the bright side, you can see the sun come up and Christine now has somewhere to park her bike.... :flushed:
Wibble

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike

Wobble.
So how did you get on with picking up the spagehtti....