How to overcome paint that does not dry.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sometimes enamel paint,especially darker colours does not dry out properly,an expert paint sprayer once told me that darker pigments in paint do not have as good a shelf life as the lighter shades,blue and black are the worst offenders in this respect,if you have paint like this then do not despair as there is a very simple fix.

Go along to your local hardware store and look in the paint section for a bottle of liquid called 'Terebin' this the basic dryer for paint of the enamel variety,it only requires you to add a very small amount to the paint to restore its drying capabilties once again.

If you are ever caught out and have a model that will not dry then do not despair,just find a box to place over the model to stop the dust and take it outside,a few days and it will dry out especially if the sun is out.

I

IainM

They do say .... Hindsight is the greatest gift God gave to man - trouble is he never gives it in advance !!

Needless to say, I found your post re non-hardening paint AFTER I'd had the problem and repainted several times, all with the same result !!

I must be a budding politician ... someone who does the same thing over and over, hoping it'll come out different next time !

Thanks very much for your many useful posts .....

All I need now is a better memory !!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is why we always stress on using the archive Iain,any keywords will locate the said item quickly,there must be a few million words in storage now and the answer will be there somewhere,if it is not then we know a man who does ! if you think of anything that needs covering that has not been added,then just let me know and I will make ammends.

N

Nigel.D

Another way of drying it out is to mist coat a flat polyuratheane varnish over the top (do not use water bsed though as it does not work) also ronseal works best so ive found

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Thats a good tip Nigel,the polyurethane driers must react with the undercoat thus speeding it up,it is high in Terebin.

Another way of drying it out is to mist coat a flat polyuratheane varnish over the top (do not use water bsed though as it does not work) also ronseal works best so ive found