How to remove chrome ?

T

treyzx10r

I've always either sanded or scraped it off anybody have a better way? I did a search of the site and came up empty ,thanks in advance

P

Plastickitbasher

I soak mine in a a strong solution of hot water and Bicarbonate of Soda it does take a while but it does work.

I've heard that you can use Fairy Power Spray I've not tried this one so can't really say if it's good or not.

Hope it helps

Regards

David

F

Fenlander

Only time I had to do this was on the Honda I have just finished. As it was a simple shape, I just lightly sanded it off. However, I don't know if it works but I have heard of full fat coke doing it, may be an urban myth though.

M

Mike Mullins

I tried the Coke on a Hasegawa part this weekend and after a day and half soaking - it didn't make any difference. I'll try the Bicarb above and see if that works.

B

bikerbart

Hi guys, there are supposedly 101 ways to remove the chrome, i reckon most are "ole wives tales"

One i have heard off is good ole bleech, may be worth a try. Another is car brake fluid???? Trouble is you can try some of these but i would not like to say what it may react like with the actual plastic??

I am in the position at the moment where i am removing chrome of a bike kit...trouble is its a sidecar kit, so the spoked wheels are taking forever...keep telling myself it WILL be worth it in the end!!!!! Im using a scalpel as its the oly way i can get in to all the fiddely parts :sad:

G

garethm

I will be interested if anyone finds a suitable solution as I have chrome to remove on the Jaguar Mk 2. Do you still have all your fingers Martin? or are you typing by ear? Cheers Gareth.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I don't know how it would work on chrome but I've tried modelstrip on acrylics and it removed the paint totally without damaging the plastic

B

backonthecase

I too have heard of the Cola method. I first saw it Starship Modeler - Removing Chrome with Cola here.

B

bikerbart

\ said:
I will be interested if anyone finds a suitable solution as I have chrome to remove on the Jaguar Mk 2. Do you still have all your fingers Martin? or are you typing by ear? Cheers Gareth.
LOL Graham, ive had one or two near misses with the scalpel....all logged in the near miss file :smiling:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Trey,

Not sure if it will remove chrome, although I'm sure I've read somewhere that it does, but I've used brake fluid to remove acrylics and it causes absolutely no harm to the plastic.

Gern

B

bikerbart

\ said:
Hi Trey,Not sure if it will remove chrome, although I'm sure I've read somewhere that it does, but I've used brake fluid to remove acrylics and it causes absolutely no harm to the plastic.

Gern
There ya go, i knew i had read it before that brake fluid works, i thought i was going mad, cheers for reinstating my sanity Dave :smiling:

T

treyzx10r

You all rock! Thanks for all the suggestions.I've got some scrap bits so I'll try a part in each of the solutions and post up my findings ,thanks again everyone!!!

M

Mike Mullins

Hi, I tried plain bleach on both Tamiya and Hasegawa sprues last night and it removed the chrome quickly (30 seconds-ish)and without any apparent damage to the plastic. I was impressed and will try on actual parts as soon as I can.

B

bikerbart

Glad it worked Mike, thanks for letting us know, im ganna try myself today, regards Martin :smiling:

G

garethm

Sounds good Mike, let us know Martin when you try it , safety in numbers?

Gareth.

B

bikerbart

Bleech works VERY well, tried first on sprue, went well, then i done the wheel of the bike kit im working on...also went fine...now wish i had tried much earlier!!!! would have saved one hell of a lot of work :smiling:

F

Fenlander

Are we talking domestic bleach as in Domestos or is it something special? Almost worrying that bleach would strip it off considering it get splashed about with abandon.

M

Mike Mullins

Yes, I used Sainsbury's version which I'm sure is very similar. Like Martin, I was impressed and really wished I had known earlier. I'm in the middle of a Hasegawa Ferrari 312T2 and the front wing would have been miles better than the way I have scraped the chrome off. Best new technique in a long time. I just need to build up the confidence to follow your Alclad guide next!

F

Fenlander

I will give this a go on my next kit that has chrome, I don't have anything at all at the moments and the sprues from the Honda are in the bin.

Alclad is much easier than it looks (or easier than I may have made it look) Two simple rules. One, get a really good gloss black enamel undercoat. Two, lightly dust on the Alclad slowly building up the chrome finish. It is tempting to go for it once you see the effect starting to form, don't: Just keep dusting it on from a couple of inches or so. Rush it and it will look like silver paint, be gentle and patient and you will have very realistic looking scale chrome, it will actually look like metal, trust me.

Make sure you have some Cellulose thinners for cleaning out the AB though, turps and alcohol thinners will not do.

B

backonthecase

I can second that Graham - I was kinda brickin it before my first Alclad job and was very surprised how easily it worked. Good job on the chrome removal - My Yamaha R1 is getting stripped and Alcladed..

Stuart