How to remove chrome ?

T

treyzx10r

I tried the bleach and it took a while but it did work

before and after

T

treyzx10r

yes indeed Martin I ca'nt imagine the time you had scraping chrome off spokes. I did the brake fluid test it took overnight and worked although not as cleanly as the bleach

B

backonthecase

Trey, when you say the bleach took a while - how long are we talkin? I screwed up some gloss spray paint on some car wheels and I'm hoping the bleach will do the trick...

Stuart

B

bikerbart

Stuart, i did some more last night with the bleech, we are talking really heavy chrome on an old Protar kit here that im doing. It took around an hour and a half for it to completely strip it off. Regards Martin :smiling:

B

backonthecase

Ah right, I was hoping you weren't gona say 2 days or something lol! I will get these wheels done tonight i think

cheers!

B

bikerbart

lol Stuart, no defo not that long bud, you may even find its quicker than i said, as i say the bits ive been doing have VERY heavy chrome on them, some of the stuff ive done is less so and only took around 20 mins, so keep checking as you go along....ive not had any problems with harm to the plastic leaving it for several hours though so dont worry about leaving it to carry on with other stuff. :smiling:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
All useful stuff! Nice to know my memory was correct.

John - wouldn't it be better to put this in the 'Quick tips' section?

Gern

F

Fenlander

Consider it done Dave. Good idea to put this in the QT section.

C

Cyrano

While a little late I have known some folk use acetone. Haven't tried it myself yet though so take the idea with a pinch of salt.

Cyrano

B

backonthecase

Well my halfords acrylic gloss black resisted the bleach - it dissolved the brush bristles i left in there but not the paint. So I tried cellulose and it attacked the plastic.... Darn!!

So now I'm looking for replacement Jaguar XJ220 wheels!!

Stuart

PS Cyrano, the acetone didn't affect the black paint either, it must be hard as diamonds this stuff!!

F

Fenlander

John does sell 'Model Strip" which is designed to strip paint off models, just apply it and leave it sealed in a bag for 24 hours and there ya go. I do have a tub but not used it yet.

B

backonthecase

Is it the Xtracrylix Purisol you refer to?

Edit - oh no wait I found it! Cheers Graham