Humbrol 159

D

Doggy

Hi guys. I just started a Cromwell tank starter kit. The green exterior paint is supposed to be h 159. This paint doesn't come in acrylic so I'm looking for a close green. Any ideas to what I can use?

Thank you.

First Name
Dave
My conversion chart gives Vallejo 70.924 and Vallejo Air 70.015 as equivalents to your Humbrol colour.

D

Doggy

Thanks. Ive never used vallejo and I have problems getting it in Glasgow so I'm not sure what to do.

First Name
Dave
John sells it .Click on the green 'Scalemodelshop' near the top of the page.His prices are very reasonable and delivery is very quick.

First Name
Dave
Just looked on the Internet and 'Modelzone' sell Vallejo paints.They have a shop in Glasgow.In the St.Enoch centre.Dont know it myself.Havent been to Glasgow since the early 1980's.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
If you want to stay with Humbrol, 159 is 'Khaki Drab'. You could experiment by mixing some H155 Olive Drab with a drop of Khaki H26. From the Humbrol chart it looks to be more green than khaki anyway.

D

Doggy

Yes model zone sell vallejo but for some reason they don't do air.

I would prefer to stay with tamiya, I've got their thinners and I've used their stuff before. I think xf49 is closer than xf51 to the humbrol colour. I do have a hobby craft close to me so maybe I should take the box up to the shop and try to match it.

First Name
Dave
You can thin the Vallejo 70.924 with their thinners or water and then spray it like the Vallejo Air.

D

Doggy

Sorry I've just realised. Would model colour be ok through an air brush? There is actually loads of humbrol greens quite close to the shade. I suppose anything close that could be applied via sir brush will do.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have sprayed Model Colour before, quite successfully. I thinned it 50% with Vallejo thinners. It is much easier to use than Tammy and Humbrol, in Tammy's case because of the eye-dropper bottle and in Humbrol's case partly that and because it is better quality paint. I converted wholesale to Vallejo just after I got my airbrush and experimented with Vallejo Air for the first time and had a direct comparison with Humbrol. Why not get Air from John? they are a good price and there is more paint in a bottle of Vallejo 17ml for £1.89 than Tammy 10ml for £1.44 and Humbrol (14ml) which is £1.44 on other sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Doggy

Thanks everyone. I'll order from john and give vallejo air a try.