HUMBROL,a Clear waning.

S

sharowjohn

Well I've done it again had a bit of an oops with a paint finish, currently building Gallery models H34 Chocktaw in US Navy rescue version main colours being navy blue & orange yellow. I decided to paint the tail section first fortunately this is a combination of orange yellow, navy and a lighter blue for the rotor housing, glued up the tail unit this went well in fact the whole kit is a good build.Now to the painting a final wash off with isopropyl alchohol then two coats of Vallejo grey primmer with a light rub down and 24 hrs between coats. Masked up for the first colour coat Mr Hobby orange yellow more masking and the navy section again in Mr Hobby finally the rotor housing in Humbrol 25 blue, all well so far with 24 hrs between each coat again. Now for the final touch a coat of Humbrol Clear first signs of trouble appeared I noticed tiny cracks appearing in the Clear in way of the Mr Hobby colours, this I put down to being a little heavy handed with spraying so over the next two nights I misted in two light coats of Clear this seemed to solve the problem, so to the first decal application a drop of Micro Sol and the real trouble started the surface went gooy yuk. I thought it was something I had done so I contacted Hornby/ Humbrol customer service they got back to me it's a compatibillity problem between the Clear and Mr Hobby. I've used Clear with Humbrol, Vallejo, Tamiya and Xtracrylix in the past without a single problem so I hope this warning saves someone some grief,it looks as though John is shortly going to sell another bottle Mr Hobby clear gloss.

Cheers Sharowjohn.

First Name
Gregg
I put a similar post a few months ago, regarding Humbrol Acrylic Clear Matt Aerosol.

I put a light coat of this clear over the bow deck sectionof my Boote, painted with (vallejo) acrylic.

It too spidered and cracked, so I didn't proceed any further with this paint.

I ended up using my hairy stick and Vallejo matt, with no problem.

Gregg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh sorry to hear that can you save it ?

may I ask Gregg as i use hair stick, and then the clear coat,/over the decals, and then just washers over the hair stick,

never have done clear coats over a whole model let is that the same way you do

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I am going to add my piece i have just started using clear on my 1/144 airfix concorde i gave it a coat of humbrol spray matt white and i start to brush clear on the whole plane and it is still matt any pointers why its not gloss????.

Peter t

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Not used Humbrol Clear, but from experience with the Gloss and Matt Cote range, I would say make sure you stir and shake it extremely well. I had crazing from Tamiya clear sprays, they did not sit well on the Humbrol enamel paints I was using and gave the same crazing and spider effect you described here. Humbrol's Cote range has solved all my issues with this. Also before decal application,I would wait for a minimum of 24 hours before applying any solution over the clear layers. I tend to use one type of varnish over the same manufacturer's paint now days. It saves a lot of issues.

As for your Concorde paint job Peter, all I can think of is that it has not been shaken/agitated enough prior to use, or you need to apply more than one coat. The more layers you apply between drying, the more effect the clear will have.

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
oh sorry to hear that can you save it ?may I ask Gregg as i use hair stick, and then the clear coat,/over the decals, and then just washers over the hair stick,

never have done clear coats over a whole model let is that the same way you do
Hi Moni,

before applying decals I apply a coat of 'Johnsons Klear' and leave to dry for at least 24hrs, then I use micro-sol to apply the decals.

Leaving them to set for 24hrs or more

I then re-seal with 'Johnsons Klear' first. Leave 24hrs or more again, then I do my washes.

Finally a coat of Matt Varnish, usually Vallejo.

The first & only time I had a reaction, was when using the 'Humbrol Acrylic Matt' from an Aerosol can.

I won't be using it again, I will stick to my Brushes & Vallejo.

Gregg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh no after so sos meny hrs of work and waiting and to have that happen,

your lucky im a lady, :mad: :oops:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There are issues between Humbrol

Clear and Microsol. I found the Clear fogs with a white bloom when the latter is applied the cure being another coat of clear. Interesting to see an issue between clear and Mr Hobby as well

S

sharowjohn

On the subject of can the model be saved? I think so the main body remains untouched so just got to miss out the Clear and use Mr Hobby clear gloss ,looks as though I am going to wind up using two separate paint systems. With the tail section I could strip the paint and start again but that would mean losing the danger warning decal, currently looking around for a replacement sheet. I also intend to get the plastic bottle out and try a couple of things, oh and if anyone knows of a replacement decal I would appreciate a heads up.

Cheers Sharowjohn.

D

dougie

\ said:
Not used Humbrol Clear, but from experience with the Gloss and Matt Cote range, I would say make sure you stir and shake it extremely well. I had crazing from Tamiya clear sprays, they did not sit well on the Humbrol enamel paints I was using and gave the same crazing and spider effect you described here. Humbrol's Cote range has solved all my issues with this. Also before decal application,I would wait for a minimum of 24 hours before applying any solution over the clear layers. I tend to use one type of varnish over the same manufacturer's paint now days. It saves a lot of issues.
As for your Concorde paint job Peter, all I can think of is that it has not been shaken/agitated enough prior to use, or you need to apply more than one coat. The more layers you apply between drying, the more effect the clear will have.
seen similar on another forum, it turns out that Tamiya say you either have to put their clear on top of their freshly painted base or you leave the base to fully de-gas. This can take up to a month from other users experience. Apparently what happens is that the clear laquer contracts at a different rate to the paint and if they don't go on wet together and de-gas together you can't apply the laquer for ages or it will craze like a crazy mofo :/

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

This happened to me as well. Ruined my Dragon Bf 110 1:32 build. A pricey mistake..... Thanks for telling all the others about this as well.

John

D

David 317

\ said:
There are issues between Humbrol
Clear and Microsol. I found the Clear fogs with a white bloom when the latter is applied the cure being another coat of clear. Interesting to see an issue between clear and Mr Hobby as well
Hi,

I've been getting a little of this on my builds! I also am using MicroSet/Sol over Humbrol clear. You get a milky white streaking.

You can see it (blue/white streaks) on the spinner between the white strip decal of my Bf 109-G10.

Regards

David

View attachment 100742

IMG_0468.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've had the same problem with humbrol , it ruined my less than £10 GB , i think we should contact Airfix and inform them of the problems we've all had

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use only Vallejo matt varnish or klear over my Vallejo colours and some time Tamiya paints with no ill effects , also i leave my paint for at least 24/48 hours to dry before putting on a sealer coat . i have tried humbrol clear but do not like it at all -hope you plane comes out ok in the end John

L

Laurie

The problem is mixing paints varnish etc with different type thiiner dryer bases.

Use Humbrol (including Clear) Vallejo Lifecolor and Mig Acrylic together they are all water based. Humbrol and Vallejo do all the decal fixing things all water based.

Also if you use IPA make sure it is dry in all the little crevices as it will effect water based products. IPA is a great water based acrylic paint remover.

If you mix the water based ones with the lacquer cellulose and what ever else there is there is the potential for disaster. Not worth it after all the hard work of putting together a model. Rather like mixing oil and milk neither like the experience. :rolleyes:

The old advice mix it up and you will get mixed up. :D

Laurie

D

dubster72

Sorry Laurie, but I can't agree! There should be no problem applying a product like Humbrol Clear over oil-based paints as long as the paint is fully cured.

I think the problem lies more in the manufacturing than in anything else. Since Hornby / Humbrol / Airfix moved much of their production to China, the quality has become less dependable.

Many people on various forums are talking about differences between new pots of paint & ones they've had on the shelf for years - and the new stuff is invariably the one at fault!

It's so disappointing when something doesn't work as hoped, but that will be an experience we all go through.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
David - it should not be a problem just spray it with a thin coat of Clear and the fogging will disappear. It is best to do that anyway to seal in the decals before weathering washes before a matt coat.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Sorry Laurie, but I can't agree!
That is OK Partick. ;)

Final answer. :smiling3: But I do not have any problems the way I have describe it above. Most of the comments above have. I am using the same product. For me QED. :cool:

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
When Tamiya say themselves that Base and clear have different curing times, Both their own product, must prove that there is a loop hole in your theory Laurie. I will agree though that sticking to one system is (normally) error free. ;)

Ian M