Humbrol Clear...

L

Laurie

Agree with you Harry if you are going to work on the varnish surface ie decals weathering etc.

However with recoating then 30 mins for Humbrol Clear and 60 mins for Vallejo Acrylic and the surfaces are ready for a recoat. I do however take great care to ensure dust has not fallen on the pieces in that time as I would not want to wipe down with a cloth until your time Harry of 24 hours.

Vallejo Polyurethane recoat I would give much longer as it lingers.

Laurie

D

Doug Hughes

Folks, this has been a really useful thread - thanks very much. I've been struggling to get good results with the Vallejo varnishes, so it looks like I'll try Clear next.

Barry you don't work for Humbrol do you? ;)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
LOL Doug. Far from it. This is the only humbrol I use. Vallejo mostly.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Thunderbird

I just picked up some Humbrol Clear to use in my airbrush and have a few questions.

Approximately how long should I wait between coats? 20 mins enough?

Has anyone tried it on top of Humbrol enamel? I am a bit unsure since it seems to be water based.

L

Laurie

This gives a good idea of how and info to use the stuff Daniel.

No idea on the Humbrol Enamel. If you cannot find out email Humbrol Customer Services.

Laurie

L

Laurie

Just found the answer Daniel plus a few more. Note this is direct from Humbrol.

Laurie

In this video we show you the uses of the new Humbrol Clear Gloss Varnish.

Humbrol products used in this video:

• Humbrol Clear 125ml
  • Humbrol Acrylic Spray Matt Varnish No.49 - AD6049
We strongly suggest you practice the techniques using a test piece first.

Please note that this item can only be delivered to UK addresses

A thin clear varnish that goes on clear and stays clear. Humbrol Clear drys to a low gloss finish, a higher gloss finish can be achieved by applying further thin coats.

Usage

A water-soluble, self leveling gloss medium that can be prepare painted surfaces for decals, as a gloss varnish and to improve the appearence of clear parts.

Substrate

Humbrol Enamel and Acrylic Paints.

Application

Apply thinly with a brush or airbrush. To achieve a high gloss finish, apply additional coats.

Drying Time

Surface dry in 30 minutes. Recoat once dry.

How to Clean

Water.

T

Thunderbird

Thanks a lot, seems it is fine to apply over enamel then. I will try on a test piece first and wait 30 mins between coats and see how it goes.

L

Laurie

I think , Daniel, that 30 mins is an approximation. I would make sure it is more than touch dry or you will get horrible puddles.

Laurie

T

Thunderbird

I see, I will do some proper testing on scrap pieces then before I do the real parts.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Humbrol is an enigma to me , I have bought the same colour or clear on more than one occasion and one pot goes on very well the next needs to be thinned to stop dragging , it's like there's two different types on the market

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I am now using Humbrol clear. I am now convinced to use it on the rest of my models now. It is great stuff. A nice big bottle as well. Probably the only good product Humbrol has ever made. Lol

John

T

Thunderbird

Good to hear, how long do you wait before applying another coat?

L

Laurie

Daniel the time to wait is dependant on a number of things. The strata you are applying it to ie if it is absorbent in any way. The temperature and also the humidity. How well cured the paint it is applied to.

Where it is left to dry ie ventitlated this will enhance the drying time. Also which paint it is applied on. I suspect, but have no data to back it, that Clear will dry quicker on cured Acrylic than on Enamel.

I would experiment. Usually if an acrylic is dry to the touch but not cured I apply another coat. But wait until cured if applying a varnish or clear. Another point which is a nuisance. If you get bits or hairs on the first coat curing is the only way before wet and drying the surface. With a hair if quick you can remove it and the Clear will close in to smooth.

Laurie

M

Magicadey

just bought some. will use todya. also got some mig matt varnish. dunno what that is like.

T

Thunderbird

Tried it on a test piece today and I am happy about the glossy look after 3-4 coats. I waited approx. 30 mins between each coat but I guess it would not hurt to wait a little more. I used ~20 psi as recommended.

One thing I noticed when I was standing under my lamp is that there are tiny spots on the surface, I guess I should have sanded the flat paint properly before applying the clear in order to make sure the surface was perfectly smooth. Do you think it is possible to rub them out after the clear has dried completely?

Last edited:
L

Laurie

Yes if you use wet and dry with a 1500 gauge paper. But you will have to recoat. Best as it is a test piece to try it out.

Best I find before any new coat is to wet and dry preferably using an old paper rather than a new piece. I then use a tack cloth which gets rid of the majority of bits little hairs etc. Then immediately before airbrushing a use a soft brush to remove anything left over, I hope.

Laurie

L

Laurie

Daniel. :oops: Forgot make sure the Clear is cured. i would say 24 hours at least before wet and drying. Try a bit to see if it takes the wet and dry with out peeling.

Laurie

N

noble

I have to say I use this instead of Johnsons Klear now, and i like it a lot I can also say the same about Humbrols other recent products, especially their matte cote and their weathering powders.

scott

T

Thunderbird

I ordered some Humbrol Gloss Cote, will do a comparison on plastic spoons and go with the one I think gives the best result.