I need a little paints advice

M

MsAt0m

I am seriously considering buying this model, but i have one quite serious setback. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT PAINTS I NEED!!!

I'm a relative beginner and i don't usually buy online. I tend to ask the Modelzone UK shop staff what i need.

Can anybody tell me or maybe let me know how to find out for myself?? Revell 1/72 Focke Wulf FW189 A1 64294

Thanks,

James

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The Revell instructions can be found on this link http://manuals.hobbico.com/rvl/80-4294.pdf

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Nothing wrong with having a go at painting yourself. How else are you supposed to learn? I have done some terrible paint jobs in the past but if i'm honest I've learnt from them and now can paint acceptably.

James I look forward to seeing you build this kit if you buy it. And if there is any other help we can give you along the way then I/we'll be more then happy to help

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you have no idea you could try this as well The Official Humbrol Website

OK its for Humbrol paint and Airfix kits but if you just type in FW189 it will find the airfix kit and give you an idea. This is only relevant is they have the same paint scheme as the kit you want.

Other wise its a cup of coffee and Google, or the internet.

As a tip, when you as a question for which paints to buy it is always an idea to be more specific. A picture also helps. The Luftwaffe was pretty strict on the colour used on their aircraft and thus makes it easy. You just need to buy a set of colours for the Luftwaffe. :smiling:

Ian M

T

tecdes

James not sure if I am understanding your question but here goes.

When you have the model all the colours will be listed in the instructions.

If it is Revell then it will be Revel colours.

But if you want to use Humbrol, Testors, Vallejo etc then there are a number of lists which give the equivalents (or near) of other paint manufacturers.

If you have a problem then many on this forum will give you all the help you need & point you in the direction to find what you need.

First you will need to decide if you are going down the enamel (basic oil paint using turpentine substitute) or acrylic which is generally water based.

Also a factor are you hand painting with a brush or airbrushing ?

If you need more on the type of paint or manufactureer then come back to us.

Laurie

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
For the two versions you can build out of the box you'll need either

Ver 1: RLM 65, 70, 71

Ver 2 (picture on website): RLM 65, 71, 79

To convert these numbers then use this link Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart - Paint4models.com#

Just tick the box in the bottom left that says RLM and then tick the paint manufacturer you want to use and read/convert off the list