Ian M's HMS HOOD. Trumpeter 1/200

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Next time I suggest a Battleship, some one hit me up side the head! Well at least remind me to check that it will not need a whole heap of extra work to get it right! lol
Below is version 3 of the platform atop Gun III. The Kit has it as a solid platform of dubious shape. I was in fact two platforms of equal size and was also not a solid platform but an open girder sort of thing.
DSC_0579.JPG
This as I said is version 3. These took almost two hours to make! the first one (of v1.0) took longer than that alone and looked like poo.
Version 2 looked a bit better but was still not right. To thick and to big!!!
This one is about as good as it is going to get. This will now sit to let the glue cure 100% then I can cut it off the tape. Then figure out how to mount the darn things!

Other boring bits... All those guns and bits are now primed along with all (I think) of the ships boats. Oh and I got a start on the foremast.... And the funnels...
Forgot to take photos along the way but I can take one or two later...

As a total side comment. I saw that there is mountains of snow in both Europe and the US. Some one I follow on You Tube has now had over five feet os snow. Twelve inches the other night.
Well here, it has been snowing for three days and we have ....... about an inch. Its not thawing it is settling. its just very dry and is blowing away. Where to? I have no idea. lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So still no sign of the paint I ordered yet. I hope that it gets here soon. My benches are looking like a bombed ship yard with bits of ship EVERY where!
DSC_0580.JPG
Made a start on painting the Ships boats. Hairy stick time! Any and all the info about how they where are pretty vage and contradictory, so I am winging it. All the boats had wooden decks, the rowboats inside under the benches where grey. Out side they where the same colour as the ship.
The Motor launches and the Admirals boat and what not the cabins where white. Bottoms white and sides Navy blue.
Above them are some of the dozens of chests and winches that are waiting for the paint to arrive!
DSC_0581.JPG
Yet more bits awaiting the postman! Here the smaller guns and some bandstands...Hmm decks are painted so I could mask those up ready...
Ah the Ships screws. When I ordered the metal props, I was expecting them to be brass..... Wrong. White metal- So they had to be painted as well. Alclad II Polished Brass for that. Looks OK but would have liked brass ones.

DSC_0582.JPG
The mast/boom still lots to do to this so more on that later.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking great Ian, just popped in and spent a very agreeable 20 mins reading through this.

I thought there was a wooden deck kit for this?

F

Fenlander

Doing well Ian. I am still not back to the Bizzy, just about recovered enough to continue but I am doing a quick build motorbike to see how I get on. Getting there though

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking great Ian, just popped in and spent a very agreeable 20 mins reading through this.

I thought there was a wooden deck kit for this?
Cheers Si. glad to have you along for the ride.
There is a Wooden deck on the market, but I didn't want to start down that road again! lol. You buy the deck, then you buy the PE and before you know it you have spent more than the kit was. And with the price on the box it would be silly money. The Pontus sets do look great and add a whole lot to the kit but at over 240 quid.... Nope.
Doing well Ian. I am still not back to the Bizzy, just about recovered enough to continue but I am doing a quick build motorbike to see how I get on. Getting there though
lol. More important that you are 100% again before you get Bizzy.... se what I did there. O.o

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
There is a Wooden deck on the market, but I didn't want to start down that road again! lol. You buy the deck, then you buy the PE and before you know it you have spent more than the kit was. And with the price on the box it would be silly money. The Pontus sets do look great and add a whole lot to the kit but at over 240 quid.... Nope.

I agree, you can go silly with extras, and at least 30% are not really noticed once on. I had the Bismarck with wooden deck and had nothing but issues with it, gave up in the end :D

J

John Rixon

Well still at it. Just been grabbing an hour here and there and getting some of the sub-assemblies out of the way. Also been having lots of fun with PE and not so super-glue.
These two buggers took about half an hour each, just to put the 'spider web' over the tops! View attachment 275368
First the lower rail then the actual 'spider web' after! I even bought some new super thin CA which was just about effective as the water it was as thin as. Ended up using the old one. (and a lot of swear words).
View attachment 275369
A heap of pom-poms, 5,5lb'er twins, UP launchers (the square brass things). These where in effect a system that launched wire guided rockets into the air, where the tops split open ejecting loads of small mines on parachutes with wires hanging from them. The idea was that an attacking aircraft would snag the wire and pull the mine into it. In truth they caused more damage to the ship and personel than enemy aircraft and they saw very little use. (UP stood for Un-rotating Projectile).
I have shoot myself in the foot with the Pom-Pom guns! the platform should be dark grey and everything else the same colour as the Hull. Whoops.
View attachment 275370
Made a start on the big boys as well but lots to do to those yet.
Those funnel caps look awesome, this is where the scale you are working to becomes apparent!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps, it's good to know you've not all died of boredom
Just found out that the only flat brushes I have are the two very knackered old ones I use for dry brushing... Hmm

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Tip for the day. Badly acrylic painted boats can be quickly stripped back to enamel primer by giving them a bath in Vallejo airbrush cleaner! Yeah.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just got an email that my paints are on the way. So I can get going again on this build.
Been doing bits here and there, so I will do a proper post tomorrow with a run down on what got done whilst waiting.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice, steady and impressive progress Ian.
It will be great to see your update......

Re. wooden decks. As you might recall, both Mr. Rixon and I hate so called 'Wooden Decks' with a passion. During my working life I've helped re-deck a couple of vessels and know the width of the caulking and colour of the boards. I've yet to see a stick-on deck that comes close to anything like 'The real thing' The caulking is way too wide - at best caulking is a finger nail width, if that. Almost invisible - even at the scale you are working at.
This is my take on it and I'm sure other folk will think differently. which is fine.:smiling3:

Stick to painting the plastic decks

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I agree on the decks Ron, that's why I painted mine.
A good way to do them on large scale boats; 1/72 or 1/96 is single planks and black card as the caulking. But it takes a lot of time and sanding...

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice, steady and impressive progress Ian.
It will be great to see your update......

Re. wooden decks. As you might recall, both Mr. Rixon and I hate so called 'Wooden Decks' with a passion. During my working life I've helped re-deck a couple of vessels and know the width of the caulking and colour of the boards. I've yet to see a stick-on deck that comes close to anything like 'The real thing' The caulking is way too wide - at best caulking is a finger nail width, if that. Almost invisible - even at the scale you are working at.
This is my take on it and I'm sure other folk will think differently. which is fine.:smiling3:

Stick to painting the plastic decks
I've actually been to sea on ships with wooden decks - NO stop right there, I'm only 49...........

First Name
Stuart
You have a lot of patience Ian but I am sure it will pay off come the end.
Keep up the great work your doing

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Erm, Houston, we have a problem.
So the paint arrived safe and sound from Germany... Took it to the cave and packed them out and placed them with the almost empty tins of those I have from when you could still get enamel paint sent from England.
The plan was to get the myriad of sub-assemblies painted so I could build on and up.
DSC_0606.JPG
507b and 507a perfect match. 507c, the colour I have started to paint the ship with is not. Bugger. A quick message to Sovereign Hobbies that make the paints where very quick to reply: They found that the 507c from WEM was not a match to neither the factory colour chips or the original (real)paint mix. So they corrected it in December!!! If only I had ordered the paints before I started! Grrr.
So instead of an easy spray job I now have to remask and repaint everything that has been painted. I am now also considering painting her the correct colour for the time in question. 507a Time for a cuppa and a think.

edit: Even The Hood association seems to be confused but as far as I can make out it should be 507b.

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is most unfortunate for you, but good for Sovereign Hobbies.

I now buy my Colourcoats from them (obviously), but haven't noticed any revisions of the aircraft colours so far.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is most unfortunate for you, but good for Sovereign Hobbies.
He's a good chap and very helpful. He told me that he still has a couple of the old colour 507c but no way of getting them to me.
As far as I know their air colours are OK (they sell about 20 tins of aircraft paint to each tin of navy paint!)
I hear that a couple of their armour colours are a bit iffy but I am by far an expert in them.