ICM 1/35 Bergepanther - Early Variant

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is a bit of a hotch potch. In the ICM Beobachtung box, crammed with sprues are the bits not only for the Beob. , but an early Bergepanther. There's only one lower hull (? ), so I can only make one model. There are a lot of parts off the sprue, but I reckon more than enough parts.......................icm beobact.jpgicm bergepanther.jpg

I'll go through the sprues, to see that I have at least one complete lower hull/chassis, then at the specific parts for the variants. That may dictate which model I can make! There aren't any instructions for the Bergepanther, but I downloaded those from the ICM website.
The original ICM Panther Ausf. D model dates from 2005, so the variants are later than that, and have been reboxed by Revell as well.
I'll put up some sprue shots after I've gone through the bits......................
Dave

Last edited:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looks interesting Dave, just have to follow along see what you manage to build from it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm rather puzzled by this, there are many parts off the sprue, which is not the way I make things, so I wonder if this was an ebay purchase of a part completed/parts model.
Anyway, I've gone through the parts, and I can make one model - I've decided on the Bergepanther ( hence the thread title change! )- the Beobachtung version looks odd, and I believe it was only a prototype.
The early Bergepanther was simply a Ausf. D with the turret removed, and fittings for a small crane added. The later versions were much more complex, with a heavy winch, and earth spade prominent (Italeri did a model of this version)
Part pictures, hardly complete sprue shots, as there are so many bits loose
DSCF1953.JPG
Stuffed box!
DSCF1954.JPGDSCF1956.JPG
Specific sprue for the Bergepanther.

DSCF1957.JPG
The now redundant turret, with the odd dummy gun.

DSCF1958.JPG
All the road wheels are off the sprue, and half have been basecoated with dunkelgelb. Not like my method, I'd prime & basecoat all these on the sprue!
DSCF1959.JPG
Road wheels look OK, a bit of a clean up needed

DSCF1960.JPG
Single link tracks - the plastic looks a bit rough - I'll have to trial assemble a few links & paint them, to see if they're useable - if not, I think I have a set of Dragon Panther tracks somewhere.DSCF1961.JPG
I have two upper hulls, but only one lower - a bit too much to scratch!
DSCF1962.JPG
Detailed little MG34

DSCF1964.JPG
Dinky little wingnuts..........................
DSCF1963.JPG
a little OTT wood grain on the turret blanking plate, but a few coats of paint should reduce that.

The specific Bergepanther sprue looks a little crisper than the rest, but generally the parts are good, only a little flash, no sink marks - the only doubtful parts are those tracks....................
Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Dave,
I have this,(of sorts),in the stash,I started the hull and wheels many moons ago, other than that it's untouched.
I'll never get around to doing it,so you're more than welcome to it for any bit s you may want to use.
I'll send you a couple of pics if you'd like,
Andy

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
thanks for the offer, but I think one Panther variant is enough. The Panther is a tank that for some reason I've never really rated the models - although, I've made several! The same goes for the Tiger - I've the Academy full interior model in the stash, and I keep on thinking ' I'll do that one day, just not yet' Maybe because there are a lot around, and I'm afraid to show my efforts in comparison! :rolling:
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That track sprue looked like it had been painted with several coats of metallic paint ! No wonder your not going to use them Dave.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That track sprue looked like it had been painted with several coats of metallic paint ! No wonder your not going to use them Dave.
It almost looks like something went wrong with the moulding process. I looked out the set of replacement tracks:
DSCF1966.JPG
I thought, for some reason, they were Dragon, but the sprues are just marked '1/35 Panther', so the source is unknown -they have bits of flash here & there - maybe why I haven't used them!
I reckon manufacturers are going way over the top with their tracks - some of the latest seems to have about 5 parts per link - fine if you want 'working' track links, but I bet most modellers would be happy with complete individual links - OR go the way that Zvezda use: This is from their 1/35 Panther Ausf. D
track length - Copy.jpg
Link & length - with an insert to give the hollow guide horns.......................
d - track finish 02 - Copy.jpg
d - fin 01.jpg
This is quite a while ago ( clean cutting mat! ) 2017/18 I reckon.
I would think that this method of track construction would please more modellers, than multi-part 'working' track links. For those that say they want to 'pose' the tracks & suspension going over a bump, I say, sell the fancy tracks as a bolt on goodie! I reckon that many modellers are put off the modern tanks, purely by the complexity of the tracks & suspension.
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Those on the model look good, I have to agree with the new idea over doing the parts for tracks. Apart from the cost I much prefer Fruils to get that sag on Russian models.
Unfortunately they don't make them for every early Russian, not enough sales to make it worth while.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Those on the model look good, I have to agree with the new idea over doing the parts for tracks. Apart from the cost I much prefer Fruils to get that sag on Russian models.
Unfortunately they don't make them for every early Russian, not enough sales to make it worth while.
John,
Fruils push the price too high for my Yorkshire taste! I try to make do with what is in the model ( or my spares crate ).
The Trumpeter SU 152H works well from the box...........
lh track fin.jpg
Individual links in this case.............
I just had a look at the Meng & Takom instructions for the Leopard 2 - both have 3 parts per link - which boosts the part count by 504, just for the tracks!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finally got a start on this, no dramas, all very simple, all parts fitting well. Minimal clean up.................
DSCF1968.JPGDSCF1969.JPG
Plastic card fitted behind the rear decking to prevent see through into the empty interior - no interior at all, so all hatches will be firmly closed!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chassis & wheels primed with Vallejo Dunkelgelb, then onto the tedious part of the build - the tracks.....
DSCF1970.JPG
I'll break up the construction of the tracks & paint the tyres on the roadwheels to relieve the monotony. A bit of music on Spotify ( P!nk at the moment! ), and the time flies by..............
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Interesting to open a box like that. Glad you have enough to make one complete model. Tracks will always be an issue :rolling:
Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
Interesting to open a box like that. Glad you have enough to make one complete model. Tracks will always be an issue :rolling:
Jim
Jim,
luckily the tracks are clean & fitting well together - it becomes really tedious when you have to fettle each one.
I have a lot of boxes that have surprises in them - not all pleasing - I opened two old boxes, and found nothing but empty sprues! On the other hand, I opened a HobbyBoss 1/48 Focke Wulf 190D box, and found a 1/72 Arado 240 Nightfighter - I think an ebay purchase, without a box! Some of the boxes in more inaccessible corners will be have real treasures ( I hope ) - or horror stories that I've tried to forget...............
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
On the other hand, I opened a HobbyBoss 1/48 Focke Wulf 190D box, and found a 1/72 Arado 240 Nightfighter
This is why, a few years ago, I put Post-It notes on the boxes in my stash that have something else inside than the box would have you believe, with of course the actual contents written on the note.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is why, a few years ago, I put Post-It notes on the boxes in my stash that have something else inside than the box would have you believe, with of course the actual contents written on the note.
I was always intending to do that, but never got round to it! Similarly I had a big felt pen to write on the outside of the box. Sadly, I put the pen into a box & never found it again...............
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Fruils push the price too high for my Yorkshire taste! I try to make do with what is in the model ( or my spares crate ).
The Trumpeter SU 152H works well from the box...........
View attachment 432536
Individual links in this case.............
I just had a look at the Meng & Takom instructions for the Leopard 2 - both have 3 parts per link - which boosts the part count by 504, just for the tracks!
Dave
Now that looks good Dave, certainly not the look I could achieve with plastic links !

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave.

Well done.

Andrew