I'm Curious

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, spending more and more time on here it got me thinking what a lot of peoples site names mean and how they came about. To keep it off mine is because my family are originally from Norway, until the 2nd World War, to make it more complicated i was brought in America, North Carolina to be precise and I have lived in the UK from when I was 12 years old. On to you guys ....

D

Deleted member 4539

swr.
Strange World Ralph.
Because I lived many years not knowing what was real or an hallucination.
There was a time for many years that I would not use my real name and when people would ask my name I would tell them it was SW.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
swr.
Strange World Ralph.
Because I lived many years not knowing what was real or an hallucination.
There was a time for many years that I would not use my real name and when people would ask my name I would tell them it was SW.
Can relate to what you say, have issues myself but I'm sure your like me and we just battle on, if not let me know.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My middle name ! Only my brother ( + his wife ), and my doctor call me by my first name - which I dropped 45+ years ago. I never liked it,and as soon as I left home, I was Dave!
Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Poor reseaerch on my part. It was supposed to be the name of the Pharaoh's model maker in Terry Pratchett's 'Pyramids' - but I got the embalmer's apprentice instead!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
My initials, year of birth and the HK is for Hong Kong as we went there on holiday once and I needed a user name for a website around that time, so included it.

D

Deleted member 7181

I used to work at a huge car supermarket in Manchester, repairing and spraying minor scrapes. If anyone found a car that was damaged they'd wander around saying "where's the paint guy?"

Some of them actually managed to learn my name but you know what car sales people are like so paintguy was easier!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An mine is to do with building the build of a lifetime an that's the model of
USS NIMITZ CVN 68 nuclear super aircraft carrier as its nuke powered so a nuke bomb goin off an its special to me as someone up the boatin pond said I could not build one as its too difficult BUT 7yrs LATER PROVED em wrong an it became my build of a lifetime as could not do it again how's that so that's why
chris

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
when i first signed up to a forum, a long long time ago, must have been 2005-ish i suddenly realised i needed a username............had to think of something quick.............was at the time re-reading some of my fave sci fi novels by Larry Niven ......the 'Known Space' series of novels/short stories.......one of his reoccuring character's is Beowulf Shaeffer, a spacer from one of Earths colonies, who gets into all sorts of scrapes in the novels, so i just used the name Beowulf........at the time i never expected to be on the forum long.....in the end i racked up 100, 000 posts before it folded......but ive used the name on many a forum since cos its just 'me'......a lot people have asked if its to do with the old english poem, and i guess there is a connection since Niven also wrote Legacy of Heorot/Beowulfs Children series of novels which had an element of the poem as a basis but its really just cos i needed a name quick way back then lol

ive always fancied Merlin as a forum name

Reactions: JR

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
when i first signed up to a forum, a long long time ago, must have been 2005-ish i suddenly realised i needed a username............had to think of something quick.............was at the time re-reading some of my fave sci fi novels by Larry Niven ......the 'Known Space' series of novels/short stories.......one of his reoccuring character's is Beowulf Shaeffer, a spacer from one of Earths colonies, who gets into all sorts of scrapes in the novels, so i just used the name Beowulf........at the time i never expected to be on the forum long.....in the end i racked up 100, 000 posts before it folded......but ive used the name on many a forum since cos its just 'me'......a lot people have asked if its to do with the old english poem, and i guess there is a connection since Niven also wrote Legacy of Heorot/Beowulfs Children series of novels which had an element of the poem as a basis but its really just cos i needed a name quick way back then lol

ive always fancied Merlin as a forum name

You read 'Dragons of Heorot' yet?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Mark,

I'm a bit boring too as it's also my real name. I had a nickname for the longest time and that was "Gus". When I played racing games with my kids some years ago, I had to create a driving character and became "Gusgofast". Never thought about using it here though...…...….

Prost
Allen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Sorry Mark,

I'm a bit boring too as it's also my real name. I had a nickname for the longest time and that was "Gus". When I played racing games with my kids some years ago, I had to create a driving character and became "Gusgofast". Never thought about using it here though...…...….

Prost
Allen

HI Allen well why not change it to that ? as they say a change is good as a rest an for a new decade now comin up
chris