Isopropyl Alcohol

K

Keithmayes

Could someone please advise me where I can purchase some IPA as I think it would be very handy to add to my tool box but have not been able to find a supplier. Cheers. Keith.

L

Laurie

Just go on Amazon and it is swimming with the stuff Keith. Your only problem delivery. Perhaps

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Just go on Amazon and it is swimming with the stuff Keith. Your only problem delivery. Perhaps
Laurie
Okay, thanks Laurie, didn't think of trying Amazon. Cheers.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Though I haven't tried recently, years ago I got some IPA from the chemist's, no problem. I wanted it for cleaning my record turntable (what were LPs, Daddy?).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yep. Get into Boots or what ever the local chemist shop is called and look for either IPA or rubbing alcohol. It's where I get mine,

First Name
Aaron
House paint supplies will sell you a litre.

First Name
Gregg
Or go to your local 'paint & body' materials supplier and get a tin of 'Panel Wipe'

That is what I use, and no problem so far, however don't use on clear/transparent parts.

Gregg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I got my last bottle from E-bay like andrew , 1 litre for about £6 or £7 , if you use lots then the 5 litre is only about £14 or £15 cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Maplins do a 400ml spray for about a tenner or a 1 litre tin for fifteen quid.

Cheers

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
On Amazon the price per litre drops dramatically as you get bigger lots. It really does pay to buy a large container 10 or more litres. I find I use a lot of it as part of the clean up process for my airbrush and brushes.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Yes found this is a very easy way to use the stuff.
Laurie
It is Laurie. I don't use much of the stuff and still have an aerosol can that I acquired with every intention of using it properly, to clean electronic components! It has now migrated from my work tool box to the model cupboard, where it is most unlikely to see anything electronic in nature :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

K

Keithmayes

I have now had a bottle delivered. I intend to use it to smooth out Mr Surfacer 500 when used to fill in joins. What other uses are there for it please?

L

Laurie

\ said:
I have now had a bottle delivered. I intend to use it to smooth out Mr Surfacer 500 when used to fill in joins. What other uses are there for it please?
I use it Keith for cleaning plastic. For removing offending acrylic paint. For cleaning tools after using Mr Surfacer 500. Cleaning the cutting mat but careful use to much and the green will melt. Will get shot of grease finger marks etc. Getting acrylic paint from fingers. Soak a gummed up acrylic laden brush to soften the acrylic paint. Now run out of ideas :eek:

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Apart from Laurie's uses, I've used it to remove permanent marker ink from some clear parts (someone had tried using a marker pen for the canopy framing) and also the old style whiteboards at college (not the electronic ones).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Its also good for wiping your fingers with before handling the kit. Specially in the warmer months when fingers are sweatier than normal..Its Harmless before anyone says dont do it.

It is Rubbing Alcohol. Very cooling if you get a burn. Just not on an open wound. It wont do any harm but it stings like a bitch! lol

Also a splosh or two in some soapy water is great for cleaning glasses...Spectacles that is...

Ian M

D

demon

\ said:
Hi I use it for cleaning and thinning acrylic tamiya paints