Italeri Panzer Elefant 1.35 scale

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
An absolute blast to build and paint. A real trip down memory lane! Italeri got this one just right in my opinion.
Easy to build and paint and a minimum of fiddly parts. Painting the wheel rims were a bit of a chore but had to be done!
The driver always looks like he's sitting on the toilet reading a paper but substitute the newspaper (I know his hands are meant to fit on the control rods inside the drivers compartment) for a map and he looks like he's scouting the way ahead for the crew of his tank!
The paint scheme is lovely based on examples of the Elefant I've seen online but the serial number and unit ID are a mish mash.
Great fun and worth a look if you can find one cheap enough to have a go at...
IMG_20240303_155945_HDR.jpgIMG_20240303_160147_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240303_155928_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240303_155928_HDR.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 8

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice :thumb2:
..... and welcome to the site btw,I look forward to seeing you around the parish :hugging-face:.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Painting the wheel rims were a bit of a chore but had to be done!
I can’t tell from the photos which colour you mean, but I kind of hope you painted them bare metal colour rather than rubber :smiling3:

Also, what are the two round CHINA things intended to be?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome aboard mate - strangely enough the Elefant is one AFV I've no interest in building, no idea why :thinking:
Steve

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I can’t tell from the photos which colour you mean, but I kind of hope you painted them bare metal colour rather than rubber :smiling3:

Also, what are the two round CHINA things intended to be?
Lol, they were meant to be mines. I didn't notice the "China" stamped on them until it was too late! Do you mean the wheel rims in black rubber?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Lol, they were meant to be mines. I didn't notice the "China" stamped on them until it was too late!
Just say this is one of the German units that was issued the rare Made in China mines in 1943 ;)

Do you mean the wheel rims in black rubber?
Yes. You said they were tricky to paint, and I’m wondering if you painted them a rubber colour. The reason I ask is because the real Elefant/Ferdinand had steel tyres, not rubber ones :smiling3: There is a rubber ring between the main body of the wheel and the steel tyre, but the outside of the wheel would be bare steel due to the paint getting rubbed off by the track.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
An absolute blast to build and paint. A real trip down memory lane! Italeri got this one just right in my opinion.
Easy to build and paint and a minimum of fiddly parts. Painting the wheel rims were a bit of a chore but had to be done!
The driver always looks like he's sitting on the toilet reading a paper but substitute the newspaper (I know his hands are meant to fit on the control rods inside the drivers compartment) for a map and he looks like he's scouting the way ahead for the crew of his tank!
The paint scheme is lovely based on examples of the Elefant I've seen online but the serial number and unit ID are a mish mash.
Great fun and worth a look if you can find one cheap enough to have a go at...
View attachment 506036View attachment 506034
Great job done on an old kit, well done.

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just say this is one of the German units that was issued the rare Made in China mines in 1943 ;)

Yes. You said they were tricky to paint, and I’m wondering if you painted them a rubber colour. The reason I ask is because the real Elefant/Ferdinand had steel tyres, not rubber ones :smiling3: There is a rubber ring between the main body of the wheel and the steel tyre, but the outside of the wheel would be bare steel due to the paint getting rubbed off by the track.
Never knew that... Most pics have the rubber in black. Thanks for the info!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Most pics have the rubber in black. Thanks for the info!
I couldn’t find a cross-section drawing of the wheel, but this is a bogie with wheels as used on the Elefant and Ferdinand:

Porsche Tiger bogie.jpg

The outer rim is steel, and between it and the ring with the circles on it is a rubber ring to provide a certain amount of internal cushioning in the wheel. The idea was to have a tyre that doesn’t wear out as quickly as a rubber tyre does, and at the same time save on rubber (which was in short supply in Germany) but avoid wheels entirely made of steel because the ride they provide is so hard, and they make even more noise.

Interesting thing for modellers, BTW: if you’re building an Elefant or a Tiger, you could make the fifth roadwheel on each side look like the rubber has failed, so the rim is largely or completely detached from the rest of the wheel. This because the engine exhaust pipes end in the sponson floors above that wheel — a common complaint in Elefant and Ferdinand units was that the heat from the exhaust gases melted the rubber and caused the No. 5 wheel to fail long before any of the others did :smiling3: