Italian torpedo plane wwll

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It's a long shot, but I'm after an Italian torpedo plane of wwll vintage. I'm wanting a photo at a particular angle. Of course the www never has the right pic. It's for a diorama background I'm thinking of.
Hopefully
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The best known Italian Torpedo bomber was the Savoia-Marchetti SM79 Sparviero - loads of pictures around................
Savoia_Marchetti_SM_79_Sparviero_in_volo.jpg
Dave

Reactions: JR

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The best known Italian Torpedo bomber was the Savoia-Marchetti SM79 Sparviero - loads of pictures around................
View attachment 498086
Dave
Hi Dave, yep that's the problem, loads of pictures around but all like the above.
Should have said in the thread, I'm after a pic but from behind with the plane in a slight climb like it's just dropped the torpedo. Yep, don't want much...

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi Dave, yep that's the problem, loads of pictures around but all like the above.
Should have said in the thread, I'm after a pic but from behind with the plane in a slight climb like it's just dropped the torpedo. Yep, don't want much...
Good luck with that!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
If it plane specific!! That will be a long shot. I’d you just want the aircraft’s attitude post dropping there maybe more chance. Eg, try searching swordfish torpedo drops!!
On the other hand if it’s the torpedo your after, search any airborne launch. They pretty much all fall the same!!

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Probably right, it will be at such a distance, does it really matter, as long as its a plane. Not sure about the swordfish though, torpedoing one of HMSs, humm perhaps not. lol

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Your best bet is if you can find books on the SM79 - I know that there are at least two three - one Italian, the other Polish - there may be some action shots in them - I'll have a look around....................
Dave
book-sm79-savoia-marchetti-in-action.jpg
this just popped up in my search!

Last edited:

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Jakko
Didn't think of gaming, could be screen shots, will have a look.
Dave
Yes books would be another option. Don't want to put people to a lot of trouble as I'm not sure if what I'm trying will work. If I'm honest I'm having doubts.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I've probably got something close in my books. The Squadron Signal book Dave shows has a photo of an S.79 from rear three quarters passing a freighter. Another pic I have shows two S.79s attacking HMS Barham, and one 'plane has just loosed it's torp. The pic is a bit small and may be a wartime propaganda fake. I'll do some scans soon as I can

Oh, you may also be able to find a piece of film of an S.79 passing over a British destroyer, filmed from the deck. I think it was used in 'In which we serve'

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
These any good for you?
Squadron Signal 001.jpg
This is from the Squadron Signal book
Bombers dropping 001.jpg
S.79 bombers rather than torpedo, but maybe the right angle?

This is the possible propaganda picture
Barham attack 001.jpg
The S.84 was the dedicated aerosilurante (torpedo bomber) variant of the S.79
SM.84 cover 001.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
What has to be taken into the equation is when dropping ordinance from an aircraft. One of the laws of aerodynamics come into force.
You drop quite a few hundred pounds of weight, weight and lift are opposites. So, when you drop weight, lift takes over and aircraft tend to rise very quickly!! I have heard the term, 'jumped' when in relation to dropping a load!!
(In the tiny Wasp, when we dropped a torpedo or pair of depth charges we could feel the rise which the pilot then has to take immediate correctional inputs to the controls!!)
Additionally, there may be operational procedures pilots may be required to carry out. eg, bank hard over or climb rapidly. Not withstanding ducking and diving from incoming weapons!!

Another thought, images from astern of the dropping aircraft are going to be like dragons teeth!! Most aircraft astern will be in the same boat as the dropping aircraft, that is pilot concentrating on the target and not clutching a camera. That said, there may be rare images of a drop during perhaps a trial or test drop. I say rare because most developers of weapons would be owned by the companies.

I'll keep on scouring the net in the time being Andy!! I have only images of DC's being dropped.

Last edited:

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
These any good for you?
View attachment 498094
This is from the Squadron Signal book
View attachment 498095
S.79 bombers rather than torpedo, but maybe the right angle?

This is the possible propaganda picture
View attachment 498096
The S.84 was the dedicated aerosilurante (torpedo bomber) variant of the S.79
View attachment 498097
Hi, that is perfect for what I want, should be able to photoshop the rest of the wing.
Sorry still not got the hang of answering multi postings yet.
But thank you all for your help in this. Now just got to put all the railing on the deck and see how it goes.
Thanks again, as always the members come though.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you everyone for looking out all the above. It's an idea that until I get on the computer and start playing with the background I don't know if it will work or not.
The only reference book I have was given me by a German friend Peter Becker, he flew Phantoms and retired a lieutenant colonel. In turn the book was given to Peter by Theo Nau, an actual BG109 pilot of ww2. Both real gentleman and proud to know them.
The pics are the cover and then Theo has added a photo of himself and his 109.20231221_162314.jpg20231221_162424.jpg