Items from abroad rant

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I was searching the net for certain model stuff (as you do) and i've been after something for a while now but never had spare funds to buy it. So now i have a little bit saved up i thought i would go treat myself to it. I went to the manufacturers website and selected to buy the item. When i went into the shipping part of the shopping trolley, i found i couldn't select UK as a postage option. Slightly miffed i did some digging around their website and low and behold. There it is. Cannot post from Cz to the UK due to taxation regulations. Without trying to sound political, i am rather hacked off with all this BS now. It's a 20 Euro resin conversion! Not a really expensive bit of kit.

So in some small way, thanks to certain things that have happened to our country. I cannot buy simple little things for my hobby.

Any replies, if any, please keep non-political. It's against forum rules

Rant over :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's odd Alan. In my experience most overseas sellers are now geared up to add the 20% tax at point of sale.... And I make a handful of such purchases every year....

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That's odd Alan. In my experience most overseas sellers are now geared up to add the 20% tax at point of sale.... And I make a handful of such purchases every year....

Unfortunately RealModel from Cz aren't. Therefore won't post to the UK. I'm after their Fw190 D-11 conversion set for my JV44 project

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Unfortunately RealModel from Cz aren't. Therefore won't post to the UK. I'm after their Fw190 D-11 conversion set for my JV44 project
That's a real shame.... Have you tried emailing them.... Just in case?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes. And they say they cannot post to the UK due to the taxes. They did say they could post it to anyone in the EU and it could be forwarded on by them. I know the company owner as he posts on another forum. He is genuinely sorry about it but that's the company rules at the moment

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Do they supply other sales outlets Alan? Just thought you might be able to buy it from a third party rather than directly?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Failing that, perhaps it might be worth PMing a couple of our European colleagues to see if they’d assist in some way?

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have the opposite problem. I can't buy from the UK without paying an arm and a leg in customs charges. This is why John ( the shop here) does not send anything overseas.
John.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm in the same boat as John above. I can't buy things from the UK without getting hammered with customs. I had to pay € 9+ for a package that was maybe worth € 10... It's the same if I try to send one to the UK from here. Before, the postage was € 4 - € 6 for a kit to send. Now, it's € 17.99 w/o and € 25.99 w/a tracking number. Then there's usually Customs and VAT on the receiver's end too. It sucks, as I can't get FOG or Flory products here in Germany....

Prost
Allen

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I'm also in the same boat as John and Allen, I now pay 15eur import extra for US, china, UK... if it doesn't come from EU then I'm screwed... My ebay days are totally over as I always found most of my stuff in UK and China. :sad:

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Failing that, perhaps it might be worth PMing a couple of our European colleagues to see if they’d assist in some way?
I checked the mailing costs from Italy to UK: for such a weight/volume, it's about 8€, but the Italian Postal Service warns about the not foreseeable import taxes, which the receiving end (of the parcel and of the taxes...) will have to pay for.

• Sad

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm also in the same boat as John and Allen, I now pay 15eur import extra for US, china, UK... if it doesn't come from EU then I'm screwed... My ebay days are totally over as I always found most of my stuff in UK and China. :sad:
Why are US and China affected?
Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I feel for you Al. I think its not a case of can't more a won't! From a sales side its as easy as deduct the VAT and post it. Its the poor sod that receives the pack has to faff around with duties.
PM in bound Al.

I Have some real fun at times finding things. Befor Brexit, I just got hold of just about everything through John and Scale Model Shop. The last pack sat in customs for six weeks while I argued the toss. Even John got dragged into it again. End resullt it was below the bagatel amount so had nothing to pay. Apart from a six week wait. It has also had the funtastic effect that now EVERY pack from outside the EU gets stopped and inspected to see if they can turn a dim on it.
In Denmark the Duties and VAT are calculated on the whole amount INCLUDING post! And then the Danish carriers put their handeling charge on top of that.
Im getting good at finding things in EU. Poland and Sweden mostly but Germany and The Nederlands also get some of my shekels .
Why are US and China affected?
They are not EU either. lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As I wrote in my comment to Al. Since Brexit EVERY pack into DK gets a colonoscopy :surprised: so Guess its the same for you guys too.
I have had a few things from China in the past and never had any problems. (And the Chinese had no problem filling the customs form for £1 or as a personal gift.)

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
We no longer ship outside the UK for all the issues mentioned above, I have to find HS codes, country of origin bla bla bla the list goes on, it's not worth the time, we didn't send a lot abroad but when we did it was just as easy as sending in the UK. As a business I don't have as much of an issue buying from the EU, China or USA but sometimes they change another rule and it all goes Pete Tong again

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
And yet i bought over 300 quids worth of goods from japan and didnt have to pay any duty or vat, just a £12 handling fee to parcelforce.
Mark, you were very, very, lucky! Go out and buy a lottery ticket right now…..when my daughter was younger she was very into Japanese fashion and accessories, so that’s invariably what the “ big“ presents were at birthdays and Christmas. We got hit every single time…..