Jack's Border 1/35 U-Boat Conning Tower

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wow, I hope that works out……looks like it should, but you shouldn’t have that much stress from simply spray painting something. Some paint ranges seem entirely unfit for purpose to me :fearful:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brilliant work Jack, that's a load of detail in there and totally convincing .

Seems to me most paints have user problems, think one of the problems with lumps spitting out is to keep the top of the bottle absolutely clean. Even then any small amount of paint left in the nozzle tip can dry out and then unfortunately land in the paint cup or where ever it's mixed . Speaking from experience !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just caught up with this jack , superb work mate . Your many additions have really lifted it to another level , what were the kit makers thinking leaving it so bare ? keep it up its going to look amazing and so different . Cheers tony

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Brilliant work Jack, that's a load of detail in there and totally convincing .

Seems to me most paints have user problems, think one of the problems with lumps spitting out is to keep the top of the bottle absolutely clean. Even then any small amount of paint left in the nozzle tip can dry out and then unfortunately land in the paint cup or where ever it's mixed . Speaking from experience !
Thanks John. I know all paints differ etc, but find it's strange you can get perfect results from a couple or three brands, but the technique for another can elude you!
Just caught up with this jack , superb work mate . Your many additions have really lifted it to another level , what were the kit makers thinking leaving it so bare ? keep it up its going to look amazing and so different . Cheers tony
Thanks Tony!
Glad you got the paint sorted in the end.

I do tend to agree with Tim. Stick to what works.
thanks Jim.

Reactions: JR

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Added some make up, and the 6 kit parts and pretty happy. I added a blob of micro clear or whatever it's called to the respective dials and unfortunately two have dried opaque but not a lot to do about it. I realised too late that the five kit dials are all at 12 o-clock which bugs me a bit, but hey ho. Really unsure about how much these things would have rusted...contempory pics are all B/W...but with the amount of salt water sloshing through I guess there must have been some corrosion at least. I'll tone this down a little. Hope you approve...criticism and suggestions especially welcome, definitely on the weathering front.51D92C1A-78E0-46F6-B962-2152629CF1AA.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don’t stress about the opaque dials, the micro whatsit might not actually be completely dry yet. As to rust streaking, another thing is at play here is condensation. The crew will be exhaling significant amounts of moisture which will greatly increase humidity in such a confined space. As the skin of the submarine will be cold this humidity will condense out on the metal surface, causing dirt streaking and rust trails. Otherwise you are looking at the usual chips and scratches in busy and hard worked areas.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Paul on the dials, you could always say it was on the surface ! Looks good to me Jack.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Bit of progress on some actual plastic. For the amount this kit costs, it’s a bit dissapointing. All of the smaller parts have hard to remove seam lines, injection marks or both, usually in hard to reach places or on details. But there we go. Just dry fitted for the mo while I paint the sub assemblies.
9FF1286F-7397-4997-AB82-9E5D68761C8B.jpeg
These arrived to add some interest (many thanks to @boatman for the advice). Need some batteries now.
095CCCF3-0A62-4641-8C01-65A628265BF7.jpeg
As did these:
E48FC7DD-8A5D-431A-A161-FACFD96919A1.jpeg
To make use of both the Torpedo loading figures, and the Officers with binoculars in the set, it will be a ‘supply ship at sea rendezvous.’

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jack this will look realy good an when you come to fit the led's fit them so that the leds cannot be seen but just the red light comin up through the connin tower hole but look fab your work is on this sub :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:chrisb

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
HI Jack this will look realy good an when you come to fit the led's fit them so that the leds cannot be seen but just the red light comin up through the connin tower hole but look fab your work is on this sub :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:chrisb
Thanks Chris. I'm going to hopefully do a cutaway panel of the conning Tower so you can see the internals. Yet to be seen if I can manage it, but the LEDs will be on show as the actual lamps, need to make a grill to go round them. I only need two, so have plenty of spares to practice with.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Don’t stress about the opaque dials, the micro whatsit might not actually be completely dry yet. As to rust streaking, another thing is at play here is condensation. The crew will be exhaling significant amounts of moisture which will greatly increase humidity in such a confined space. As the skin of the submarine will be cold this humidity will condense out on the metal surface, causing dirt streaking and rust trails. Otherwise you are looking at the usual chips and scratches in busy and hard worked areas.
Thanks Tim, I’ve not actually looked to see if the dial has improved, but won’t be seen that well anyway. I’d not really considered condensation as well!
Looks good to me ,great stuff.
Thank you Mark, very Kind.
I wouldn't worry to much about the dials they can often be set so that the correct pressures show at 12 so they can be checked at a glance.
Agree with Paul on the dials, you could always say it was on the surface ! Looks good to me Jack.
Thanks both, I have no clue what they are supposed to be for…possibly compass and giro’s (??) for surface firing?
Looking very good indeed Jack. Inside a sub in wartime must have been a hellish place to be.
Thanks Tim, I can’t, and don’t want to, imagine!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
liking very much so what your doing hear ,job well done
this is something i would like to have a go at at well did see a nice figure kit that would go well with it,just cannot thing off who dose it
look forward to seeing more
moni

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
liking very much so what your doing hear ,job well done
this is something i would like to have a go at at well did see a nice figure kit that would go well with it,just cannot thing off who dose it
look forward to seeing more
moni
Thanks Monica. Border do a set of figures, and I have also ordered some more from a company called Scale 75. They are on their way from France I think.
I have four of these fellows on order:
63650956-AC83-4CB5-94F0-3A3B8BCF527C.jpeg