Jack's Border 1/35 U-Boat Conning Tower

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Wow Jack, the lighting really bumps this up a couple of notches! Keep it coming :thumb2:
Looking brilliant jack , the red light is perfect . Going to be a striking piece when its done , cheers tony
Just finished a catch up, Jack. It's an inspiring build, indeed. :thumb2:
Btw, I'm happy to see that that banter object called "MiniArt groceries" can have a meaningful role in a build. ;)

Andrea
Thank you all. Very kind words. Ha ha I never thought I'd ever have a use for them. Would not pay full price, a little ebay deal. Won't be using the more exotic varieties.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I have to agree with the guys here, Jack. This is turning out fantastic and the lights make it a masterpiece. You're a brave man for hacking up a new kit, but it worked out in spades for you Sir!!! You will now need that electrician as well as the plumber too...Bring on the figgies.................

Prost
Allen

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I have to agree with the guys here, Jack. This is turning out fantastic and the lights make it a masterpiece. You're a brave man for hacking up a new kit, but it worked out in spades for you Sir!!! You will now need that electrician as well as the plumber too...Bring on the figgies.................

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen. I'm not going to pretend I wasn't nervous about that part. Even now there is scope for it to go wrong!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Slow progress, back to the grind after Christmas. Now balancing three jobs to try and make my way...and I'm still doing stupid things like spending money on modelling. Oh well.

Been working my way through the sub -assemblies (pun intended). Some really horrible parts to remove seam lines from. But also some nice elements with really good detail.
5783013B-B1CF-4F52-B7D2-1247BA54FED7.jpeg
I've been looking through various shades of grey trying to make my mind up on which one. Dark Ghost Grey, Light Ghost Grey, Sea Grey etc. No closer to a decision. None seem to look quite right, but have to remember there will be a LOT of weathering which will likely change the colour completely.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
job well done looking real nice

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
job well done looking real nice
Thanks Monica.
Just seen this Jack, your doing some fantastic work, and its coming together very nicely.
Cheers Ian.

Glued in the periscopes, antenna and rangefinder 1C77E734-847E-462F-BE5B-A1430F09EFE1.jpeg
It's been a bit if a head-scratcher in what order to paint/glue and how separate to keep things. Made the decision however to fix the conning tower down to the hull. Trying also to decide how to paint. I'm not usually a fan of Halfords rattle can...not enough control over the paint and it's quite a thick paint. However the sheer size of this, I may not have much choice for the base colour. Then all subsequent highlights will be airbrush, and even that will be quite a shift on the trigger finger.
FC75F421-DA2B-4EBC-AE98-B19F5A0BA6E0.jpeg
0880BFA0-32D5-4DB6-9145-6591A221CE22.jpeg
The railings were bent in a couple of places, may have been me (actually a pain in the arse to fit), so have exaggerated the damage a bit. Depth charge damage maybe?
60C34CD4-0579-4959-B461-DAE3CFB14A68.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Really taking shape now Jack. I agree about control of rattle cans. I think the issue would be worse on this as there's a lot of difficult to reach nooks and crannies.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Really taking shape now Jack. I agree about control of rattle cans. I think the issue would be worse on this as there's a lot of difficult to reach nooks and crannies.
Thanks Jim. If affordability wasn't an issue, I'd go for Mr Surfacer cans or even Tamiya Fine Primer, had good results with both, but that's out of my price range at the moment.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
BRILLIANT WORK an modeling Jack looks very realistic as this is the first type ive seen of this model very well done my freind
chrisb

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Jack, Good to see something really different being blogged and who doesn’t like a U-boat!

Superb work with the upgrades and lights…..keep at it and I’m sure this is going to be a great display piece :thumb2:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
all coming along very nicely Jack looking so good
[ i won,t one ];)