Jack's Border 1/35 U-Boat Conning Tower

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Added some make up, and the 6 kit parts and pretty happy. I added a blob of micro clear or whatever it's called to the respective dials and unfortunately two have dried opaque but not a lot to do about it. I realised too late that the five kit dials are all at 12 o-clock which bugs me a bit, but hey ho. Really unsure about how much these things would have rusted...contempory pics are all B/W...but with the amount of salt water sloshing through I guess there must have been some corrosion at least. I'll tone this down a little. Hope you approve...criticism and suggestions especially welcome, definitely on the weathering front.View attachment 470637
Love the piping work and dials.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Figures look ok to me Jack.
I’m guessing you diluted with water? The blotchy effect occurs because you have over diluted the paint. This is worse with lighter colours because of the white component of the pigment.
Regarding glazes, it’s best to dilute with glaze medium, and use darker colour’s because they work more effectively. If you want to glaze with lighter colours inks are more reliable, but still not great. My hint would be to paint the piece with the lighter colour then glaze it to add the shadows.
Hi Jack, what Tim says makes sense. What Nightshift doesn't show is the amount of paint left on the brush when applying. It shouldn't be too wet...just enough to leave pigments on the surface. This also lessens the puddeling effect.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jack, you will have to approach figure painting in stages and layers. Spend a day with each figure. Patiently add the layers of shadows and highlights until the color shows. The brush motion is like patting a cat...light pats, let it dry for a few seconds and go over again and end more to the areas you want more pigments showing.

Cheers,
Wabble

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jack,
Just had a catch up mate this is really looking good and the figures will be the icing on the cake.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
nice going with the figures ,never easy
Thanks Monica.
Just caught up with this - what a fabulous build! The scratch building is fantastic - attacking a kit like this must take a great at deal of courage, and plenty of skill to not muck it all up.
Cheers Paul…yeah it was a sweaty afternoon!
Don't sweat the paleness of the flesh tones, I think it's a valid idea.
If you're happy with the actual painting side, leave well alone and just bear it in mind for next time.
Thanks Neil. Getting there I think.
The figures look fine to me. The skipper could be a fair/red haired guy, thus with a paler complexion than his crew.
Thanks Andrea
The skipper looks just fine to me.
Pete
Cheers Pete, I wasn’t happy with him but making progress I think.
Hi Jack, you will have to approach figure painting in stages and layers. Spend a day with each figure. Patiently add the layers of shadows and highlights until the color shows. The brush motion is like patting a cat...light pats, let it dry for a few seconds and go over again and end more to the areas you want more pigments showing.

Cheers,
Wabble
Thanks for all your comments Richard. Figure painting seems to be something I have to re-learn every time I attempt it!
Jack,
Just had a catch up mate this is really looking good and the figures will be the icing on the cake.
Cheers Paul.
Gonna be the Bomb.....stay with it Jack. :thumb2:
Thanks Rick

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
This little madam has just started her first season, so I feel a bit guilty leaving her to spent time in the loft (modelling area), she‘s pretty needy, but will see how we go with progress.9CE9EF1B-2E2B-49EC-8095-8FE50765B3E1.jpeg
But managed an hour playing with the skin tones…I’m much happier with them. As usual, they look terrible magnified, but not too bad with the mk 1 eyeball. Still a lot to do.
DE895D1A-F0C9-418F-84F2-D4EC62170D03.jpeg
A9C27D37-70BD-4061-9A53-AE82E066CE66.jpeg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
They look good to me Jack ,the uniform colour looks fine .
As for eyes gave up doing eyes a long time ago ! Just rely on a wash .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I had to get my wee moggy desex when she first come into season as she would yell all night in the yard for days on end
poor little thing,but much happier once done and no yelling all night the neighbor,s cannot get upset,all you need to spend
time with i have one older one 15yrs and a 13mth and a 11mth old moggys need a lot of time with them all
back to this there looking much better the skins looking better as well from before nd do like the uniform colors ,as like John said
oh the pain in doing eyes oh my my ,will leave it at that,

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow, I think they look good Jack!!! I'm another one who hates painting figs and always have an excuse not to. You dove in and did it and the results are one to be proud of Sir. Now go have a cold one, you deserve it!!!

Prost
Allen

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks for the messages. Helps to keep me going. Had an hour free between jobs, so have primed her. Took some time, but not as much paint as expected.
054AFC6C-F8CC-4349-A77E-D52DAF34AC18.jpeg
D0093194-7606-45D4-8F2B-6904EBEF953D.jpeg
I had a mad moment, and actually enlarged the cutaway slightly. Got a cunning plan.