Jack's Border 1/35 U-Boat Conning Tower

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is looking great! The figures are excellent - the draping of their rather tired uniforms is nicely moulded, and you've really done it justice. When figures and model come together, it's going to be awesome. I'd love to see it awash - how about some water effects?

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
They look good to me Jack ,the uniform colour looks fine .
As for eyes gave up doing eyes a long time ago ! Just rely on a wash .
Thanks John. I have a go with the knowledge i can cover 'em up.
I had to get my wee moggy desex when she first come into season as she would yell all night in the yard for days on end
poor little thing,but much happier once done and no yelling all night the neighbor,s cannot get upset,all you need to spend
time with i have one older one 15yrs and a 13mth and a 11mth old moggys need a lot of time with them all
back to this there looking much better the skins looking better as well from before nd do like the uniform colors ,as like John said
oh the pain in doing eyes oh my my ,will leave it at Monica.

Thanks Monica!
Very nice work on the figures.
cheers Ian!
Wow, I think they look good Jack!!! I'm another one who hates painting figs and always have an excuse not to. You dove in and did it and the results are one to be proud of Sir. Now go have a cold one, you deserve it!!!

Prost
Allen
thanks Allen!
nowt wrong with them mate looking very good.
cheers Scottie!
Figures do you credit Jack. Nice to see the primer go on. A cunning plan - I'm in for one of those!
Thanks Jim, will see if I can pull it off without teaching the dog some new words. Mind you she's certainly heard most of them!
I had a cunning plan once and Mrs Race put an end to it !

Very nice Jack .

thanks Rick.
Oh I do like that :thumb2: :thumb2:
Cheers Tim
That's nicely done Jack.
thanks Jim
Now that is looking rather splendid mate.
thanks Again Scottie!
This is looking great! The figures are excellent - the draping of their rather tired uniforms is nicely moulded, and you've really done it justice. When figures and model come together, it's going to be awesome. I'd love to see it awash - how about some water effects?
thanks Paul.
I wouldn't back my water effects to do it justice!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Lower hull colour added. I had to play with a few colours to get this 'right'. It was too light, but I think I'm happy with it now.
910326A7-6630-4489-83C9-CCAC066F0ECC.jpeg
The shading of the panels looks a bit stark in the photos, so may have to re-visit with another couple of layers.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking very good Jack ,and to have it even over 600mm well done
I have use that Flow improver a lot as well and as Paul said it is truly magic ingredient.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Are you folks talking about Vallejo flow improver?......I'm wondering if this can be applied to the smaller scales and still be beneficial.
It seems to have done the job in this case. :thumb2:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Are you folks talking about Vallejo flow improver?......I'm wondering if this can be applied to the smaller scales and still be beneficial.
It seems to have done the job in this case. :thumb2:
DEFinitely! Helps keep tiny amounts of paint flowing on tiny little brushes, instead of it instantly drying out. (Apologies for the thread hijack).

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks. Will give it a try, I can only hope it will work as well as it did in this particular case. :thumb2:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Despite a few hours work, progress seems to have been slow. Added another highlight layer through the airbrush (Light Ghost Grey + Dark Yellow) and then an overall very thinned mist of the base-coat.

The decals must be the worst part of this kit. Splintered instantly off the paper. Some bits I managed to salvage, but will have to use some weathering to disguise the holes. Absolutely the worst 'new' decals I've tried to use. Again, pretty disappointing for a kit of this age and price. Thankfully, only two of them!
7E3C6CFD-9BE6-4DEE-BB21-1A7051DF9189.jpeg

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Painted the carpentry.810201FD-9698-4C46-B32D-1F43AB00AFAF.jpeg
Started the chipping process
DA969A04-CA8F-49FD-9B15-3726B43FC254.jpeg
And the oils
B5334AC0-9FC3-4A2D-8567-CFF079FE2B32.jpeg
Maybe a bit subtle at the moment. Will walk away and have a look later.
D91B25CE-A183-4F43-B956-E3E5B8916B3D.jpeg

Made the (weird, possibly stupid) decision to go through the weathering in sections. I can't face the tedium of a pinwash all over, then chipping all over, oils etc. will see if that works.

Last edited:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
883FFF51-17A9-4864-BD31-397C29AB9D90.jpeg
Taken the streaking a bit further, and I think this is the look I want. Looking for a fairly battered machine.

I had a slight nightmare...I left the pinwash too long/completely forgot about it. It's cured beyond the point of blending in on a few rivets, so will need to disguise/tone it down a bit in places.