JAGUAR XKR GT3 (AIRFIX 1/32 SCALE """CLOSED""")

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi everyone here is my next little project I haven't done many cars because I never get to achieve the finish I'm looking for. This was one of my car boot finds so if I totally fail then it will be of no importance money wise just my pride :confused:It will be totally out the box with no added extras but I will give it a base on completion more later.............. Thanks for looking/comments and advice cheers John View attachment 91144

View attachment 91145

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

dubster72

I've built their WRC Ford Focus & that was an easy yet satisfying build John.

You'll probably have this one finished by tomorrow! ;)

J

John Huggins

looks a good john, good luck just take your time on the finish.

John

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi guys quick update have cleaned all parts and test fitted seems to be a trouble free kit in this area and goes together well the kit comes with the paint supplied(humbrol 53 GUNMETAL) but I feel using this paint will not give me a nice gloss finish should I go to Halfords and get myself some automotive paint.Or should I just stick with what was supplied although I believe will be a flat finish Any help/advice greatly appreciated cheers John

View attachment 91151

image.jpg

J

John Huggins

Hi John, I've been known to build one or two cars on this forum & I always use automotive paints, as long as you apply thin coats letting the first one dry, keep doing this till you are happy with the finish.

If you look at some of my builds they are all done this way.

We all have our own way of doing things, some use spray guns & some use hairy sticks.

Find what floats ur boat.

John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Like John above , Ive used auto spray cans quite a bit and find they give a nice finish if used carefully. light coats if youre spraying straight from the can but dont leave it too long between , have a practice first on some old milk cartons , you want to get a wet enough coat to give the gloss but not too thick and wet or youll get runs . One other bit of advice i can give you John is to bin the paints that came with the kit , theyre pants! cheers tony

R

roymattblack

This is a great kit.

I've built two - one as the box-kit, and one as the wide-bodied CBT variant which involved hacking up and joining two body shells......

Another is in the pipeline.....

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Roy.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
One other bit of advice i can give you John is to bin the paints that came with the kit , theyre pants! cheers tony
I can't emphasise this advice enough. Throw them out, don't even hesitate, they are pants as stated.

T

Tone M

i agree, but don't chuck 'em.... they're all right for mixing with real water based paints for when you need something 'not from a tin'.

Also they're ok for brush-painting figurers (just my opinion lol) :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

Looks like a good kit, I just bought the fiesta wrc but I am going to spray it like my car.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Halfords it is then :smiling3: But what colour should I go for ?

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Well after a trip to Halfords and a toss up between British Racing Green and Graphite Grey I came away with BRG a trusty old faithful classic and it being a Jaguar thought it would suit have to say at £6.50 a can it better turn out well as I could now kick myself for walking past all those cans at the car boot in the summer at 50p ago more later......... Cheers John

R

roymattblack

Mine are Graphite grey and Mica Blue....

Lovely kit to build, and to modify.

Roy.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
Mine are Graphite grey and Mica Blue....Lovely kit to build, and to modify.

Roy.
Both look awesome but I prefer the blue

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yep, ditch the paints for painting with and just use for highlighting etc. Should turn out rather nice me thinks John.

Si:smiling3: