Joe's completed Phantom

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
We got there in the end, and here is my Phantastically late Phantom.

The Build:

This is the very basic Airfix kit from decades ago. All OOB except for some minor home-made improvements. The RIO got a panel and some cockpit detail. The back of the cockpit received a blank to hide the otherwise exposed fuselage behind it. The model required a lot of filling and sanding. The small cockpit windows between the two canopies were created from spare clear plastic laying around from left over packaging. A second pitot tube was created from spare sprue and installed on the tail fin (one is for the instrumentation, the second for the Q-feel system for the horizontal stablisers (Q-feel is also known as artificial feel, essential for an all-moving surface like this).

Build thread here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/joes-sig-airfix-f-4-phantom.18130/

The Unit:

VF-31 is a well-documented US Navy squadron which has as it's emblem and mascot the famous cartoon character Felix the Cat, running with a large spherical bomb with a lit fuse. Their nickname ‘Tomcatters’ was adopted in 1948, and was a reference to the unit’s specialty as a night fighter squadron. In 1964 VF-31 transitioned to the F-4B Phantom and then to the F-4J four years later. In 1972 a VF-31 F-4J Phantom shot down a MiG-21 over North Vietnam and in doing so they became the only US Navy fighter squadron to achieve aerial victories in three wars (World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War). In 1980 VF-31 and USS Saratoga concluded a 24-year period of continuous service together, the longest in naval history. In 1981 VF-31 transitioned to the F-14 Tomcat.

The Aircraft:

F-4J Phantom II Build No.155812 was subsequently converted to F-4S standard and used by the US Marine Corps. The last unit to operate it, VMFA-251, retired F-4S 155812 in August 1985. It is now stored at Davis-Montham AFB, Arizona in storage park 71015.

View attachment 78691

View attachment 78692

View attachment 78693

View attachment 78694

View attachment 78695

View attachment 78696

View attachment 78697

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

W

Willi262

I like it enough. ;) I'm not a big fan of the phantom, it's too big, clunky and everything wrong with the US, embodied in an aircraft.

Still, you did well enough on it and I think it matches the box art and whatnot very well (especially with the incorrectly numbered decal).

Will look good on the shelf to be sure!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build, similar to steve but just not a great fan off jets thats ;) all other than spooky spy planes o_O

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well my view might be the polar opposite of Steve. I like the Phantom loads. To me, it just looks right. You've done a nice job here Joe. I probably wouldn't choose to build a plain grey Phantom, but your rendition here looks good, I could be tempted.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I like the spook and you one is a good one!

You made a great jog out of it Joe.

As we say at work dead lines are just a guide, so no worries there.

Well done.

First Name
Dave
Great build Joe.The replacement windows must have been difficult to do as they are so small.Im ex Phantom ground crew and I like them.I built one for this sig and I've got another 3 in the stash.Another purpose of one of the fin mounted pitots (I think it was the lower one)was to provide a signal to close the auxiliary air doors when the aircraft reached a set airspeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
now i like that a lot!

from a time when aircraft were interesting to look at, these days fast jets are all becoming clones of each other in looks

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very, very nice finish Joe. The decals make all the difference with a one colour aircraft like this and the Phantom really has sprung to life. The paint finish is top notch and the decals look perfectly applied without a hint of silvering.

Top stuff for a Top Gun!

Cheers

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant job Joe, like some others I have little, if any, interest in jet aircraft.

But, I recognise a top class, well built model, whatever it is....and this is up there with them.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Maybe late, but it was worth it Joe. Lovely job, the paintwork is superb, like this very much.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Great build joe , not a fan of the real macoy but the models look better and this looks fantastic :smiling3:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
A beautiful example of a phantom I really like it top job 5***** well done Joe regards John :smiling3:

M

MPal

Very nice!

Always loved a Phantom, probably the best jet ever.

I have a hasegawa f4j to build, which may be my next from the stash.

C

Caledonia

Well done Joe, I like a good Phantom, and that's just what you delivered, great build. Remember seeing an American one at Leuchars in the 1960's what was amazing was the amount of writing all over it, it was like a flying book. Cheers Derek

B

Bunkerbarge

Another brilliant update of a great old kit. Always good to see someone still enjoying an old model and making a great job of it. A few hours of enjoyment for very little money.

I'm not a great jet fan but I do love the Phantom. It comes from an era when everything was just a massive pair of engines capable of amazing levels of power and carrying capacity. Just like the Lightning you couldn't help but be amazed at the sheer over indulgance of it. I think this reached a head with the TSR2 and then we started to think straight again but the Phantom really was the last of the big American powerhouses.

W

Willi262

I will admit that I recall having seen some in action at my local airshow as a child. The sound those engines made when they hit the reheat ...whew...puts the fear back in you, to be sure.

He was flying in at a medium altitude over the airfield, just cruising, after a roll out or some aerobatic thing, when BLAMMO, he hits the afterburners. Holy S. Did that scare me! They sounded like two massive explosions, sharp thunderclaps at the same time. I wanted to be a pilot.

1275GT

Thought we'd lost it after being so overdue!! But great to see it turn up, lovely work on a classic piece of Airfix plastic. Nice one, Joe :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil