Johnsons Klear

N

Nigelwal

Hi all,

Having been away from this hobby for a good number of years, (marriage, child rearing etc...), a lot seems to have changed.

I believe that the above mentioned Johnsons Klear is no longer available. So my queation is, What are people using instead? I'm just finishing the paint job on the Airfix Red Arrows Hawk, (yeah, I know a challenging paint job.), but have to start somewhere!

Appreciate your answers, and many thanks in advance.

Nigel

:clap:

P

phalinmegob

pledge multi surface wax. says contains "klear" on the label and is available in some supermarkets,got mine from sainsburys and cost about £4

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The only difference between the 'old' klear and the 'new' klear is that a) it's a milky white colour and b) it takes longer to dry.

If you're not sure about using it then ask any questions you may have and we'll do our best to answer them :smiling3:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Lakelands Quick-Shine Klear replacement?

Hi has anyone tried the floor polish from Lakeland here's a tread from the Britmodeller forum it looks pretty impressive.

Vaughan

M

m1ks

\ said:
The only difference between the 'old' klear and the 'new' klear is that a) it's a milky white colour and b) it takes longer to dry.If you're not sure about using it then ask any questions you may have and we'll do our best to answer them :smiling3:
A - Yes

B - Not noticed a difference in drying time, it behaves exactly the same for me, only difference I note is the new stuff has a nicer perfumed smell.

It looks like this, you can get it in Morrisons etc

http://p.mdcd.net/product_images/full/6df4ae42c6124de1f283a7eaf2d3ab09e32ff951.jpg

B

backonthecase

What he said...

I did a side by side comparison on 2 sections of a canopy and got identical results. Just smells nicer and starts off white.

N

Nigelwal

Many thanks to you all, my wife is currently out shopping, so a quick phone call should secure me a bottle of pledge multi surface wax. When I've uesd it I'll report back and let you all know how it went.

Once again thank you for all you responses.

Nigel

N

Nigelwal

Hi All,

Not found in Morrisons, or Tesco! Any more ideas as to where I could find this pledge multi surface wax?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Nigel

P

phalinmegob

\ said:
pledge multi surface wax. says contains "klear" on the label and is available in some supermarkets,got mine from sainsburys and cost about £4
:smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi has anyone tried the floor polish from Lakeland here's a tread from the Britmodeller forum it looks pretty impressive.Vaughan
Well,That's a pretty thorough test in that thread and the results look good. It was done by an experienced modeller. I've got a supply of old style Klear to keep me going for a while but I'd be happy to give the Lakeland polish a go. It is described as an acrylic floor polish which is exactly what Klear was/is.

Cheers

Steve

N

Nigelwal

Vaughan, Stona,

Thanks for the info about Lakeland Plastics, we are off to the Lakes in a couple of weeks and as Angie, (my wife), likes to visit there no doubt I'll be able to persuade her to go and have a look.

Dave,

Thanks for the info about Asda, may visit my local branch l8r to see what they've got.

Nigel

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi nigel, if asda dont have any, ,wilkinsons do it , cheers tony

T

tecdes

Started modeling in October last year.

Looked at lots of forums (this is my favourite) & Klear seems to dominate every where I go.

Do Johnsons realise how popular they are ? Suprised they have not caught on & market smaller bottles of it for the model shops etc.

Perhaps they could call it Shrangrila (spelling ?) or Modeler's pet.

They could even scent it to match the smell of a vintage aircraft engine, modelling glue or even turpentine substitute. They could even have the brush in the bottle or a spray version.

Laurie

D

delmonteman

\ said:
Hi All,Not found in Morrisons, or Tesco! Any more ideas as to where I could find this pledge multi surface wax?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Nigel

Got mine from B&Q

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
They could even scent it to match the smell of a vintage aircraft engine, modelling glue or even turpentine substitute.

Laurie
Now that I would pay extra for!

There was another thread on another forum (probably Britmodeller) a couple of years ago when Johnsons first announced that they would be discontinuing the "old style" Klear in which a member had been in touch with the company and reproduced an exchange of emails. Johnsons were made aware of our alternative use of their product.

The problem is that I've had one bottle of Klear on the go for at least three or four years and there is still a fair bit left. In that time I've made many models,mostly in 1/32. If I was using the stuff as a floor polish (heresy I say) I would have got through several bottles. Although,as modellers,we think we use a lot of the stuff infact our consumption is negligible.

I laid in a stash of four bottles of the old stuff which will keep me going for the forseeable future and then some. I have a friend of a similar age to me who has a stash of sixteen bottles! Hopefully he'll live to be two hundred years old and use it all up.

Cheers

Steve

P

premacy10

Hi all,

would like to try the above but do brush or airbrush and does this replace varnish.

Regards

Tony

T

tecdes

Hi Tony.

Just finished my first airbrushing with Klear. Also up until used a paint brush. Air brushed as the model, a Lancaster, is large & would have been, for me, difficult to hand paint with Klear.

On the airbrush make sure you do not go full blast. Klear is thin & you will get dribbles running all over the place. If you have a method of restricting the needle movement turn it right down & practice as I did on a plastic bottle. Used a .4 needle nozzle. Found not to go over the same patch. If it looks wet I found I had overdone it (on my practice bottle).

With a paint brush I use a 12mm wide flat brush & only "just" dip in the very end into the Klear. Found that this will more than cover a 1/72 spitfire wing for instance. Careful around bits which protrude as otherwise you will puddle it.

Use a B & Q decorators wipe if I have overdone it. Carefully wipe away any excess while wet does the trick without any blemishes.

I have found airbrushing or painting that 3 coats is about right. Airbrushing I recoated after an hour. Probable you can cut this down as it dries so quickly.

Found it best to use a mask as found it does float in the air & gets up the nose.

Also make sure your airbrush is really cleaned well as the stuff goes off so quickly.

Nearly forgot when I have completed & finished the model I airbrush the lot with Vallejo Satin Varnish.

Laurie

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Just thought Tony. What are you using Klear for ?

Is it as a final finish? Protecting the model while using masking tape or to get shot of the shine on the edge of the decals & make a good surface to apply the decals too.

Laurie

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi, just restarted modeling again and got some of the new 'Klear'. I'm brushing it on at the moment as my birthday (and airbrush) hasn't arrived yet. I'm finishing a 1:72 A6M2 Zero and when I checked it I found that the area round the tail wheel was yellowed. Did I put it on too thick?

Any help please

Tony