Johnson's Klear

A

AVB99

Hello

Am just removing this from my present work Revell 1/16 Model T.

I added two coats which were fine. I then added a third coat but I must have put it on too thinly as brush marks showed. Posts on this site suggest that Klear is self dissolving so I added a new, thicker coat to try to dissolve the brush marks but created a mess. Now removg the Klear and the gloss paint and the primer to start again.

Am I wrong in thinking that more and more coats will produce a glossier gloss? Obviolsuy I cannot go on indefinately but what do others recommend please?

Also, is it possible to airbrus it on? Has anyone done this successfully please? And again, how many coats?

Thanks as always

Aidan

First Name
Michael
Hi Aidan, I airbrush Klear with no problems at all. I don't thin it and usually give a couple of coats.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I brush it on and usually do two (rarely three) coats before the decals. You've got to leave at least 12 hours between coats or the fresh coat will interact with the previous one. It's a bit like over working paint.

You can airbrush it on if you want. Same number of coats. Clean the airbrush with very dilute ammonia solution or alcohol.

If you haven't got a decent finish on the paint then you won't get a really glossy finish with Klear.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I, unfortunately don't have Steve's patience. I normally do two coats about 30 minutes apart, using a brush.

Colin m...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I, unfortunately don't have Steve's patience. I normally do two coats about 30 minutes apart, using a brush.Colin m...
Hi Colin,we all have our own methods :smiling3:

I find that the glossiness doesn't build up when I do the coats too close together which I assume is due to the second one dissolving the first one. I'm still using "old" Klear which advises 24 hours between coats,though 12 hours or so seems to work for me.

I think this is another example of the difference between "dry" and "cured".

Ideally I like a really glossy,hard shell to apply my decals onto,I'll tone it down with later varnishes.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Now ditched Klear. Mainly beacause it gives me a headache, smells putrid & my results have not been good both brush & airbrush. Clogs my airbruah. Had problems with decals. Probably me of course but it is bad enough to ban myself from that part of the house which is having it's floors coated with this vile stuff without subjecting my body to purgatory whilst pursuing my favorite pastime.

So I have now use Vallejo gloss varnish a mist coat followed by a full coat. Great smooth finish & the decals have smoothed out like fresh Jersey cream on a china plate.

Laurie

God I am so moany on a Monday morning

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Now ditched Klear. Mainly beacause it gives me a headache, smells putrid & my results have not been good both brush & airbrush. Clogs my airbruah.So I have now use Vallejo gloss varnish a mist coat followed by a full coat. Great smooth finish & the decals have smoothed out like fresh Jersey cream on a china plate.
Good grief is this the new formula? The original stuff hardly whiffs at all.

When all's said and done it is just a gloss coat,not some universal panacea,so as long as you can find one you are happy with that's all that matters.

Some people do treat Klear as if it is some sort of irreplaceable "Wunderstoffe"!

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Yes Steve my sensory glands (probably the wrong term) tell me it stinks & it is the new stuff. Actually tried both old & new but even with my super duper nose filter firmly stuck to my face it gets through.

As you say horses for courses & so far model people for varnish or Klear. Agree Steve people paying "bonus" amounts for Klear is just for those types ..........

Also add that I find Klear scratches easily varnish does not.

Laurie

One thing. Which ever forum you visit I bet Klear has more articles then any other subject by an Edinburgh Royal Mile.

A

AVB99

A hard lesson learned. What was my best paint job ever was ruined. Thanks to all who posted. Am fairly sure that i ruined it because as Steve suggests, I did not leave it long enough between coats. I think it was abut six hours. We learn through our mistakes!!

Aidan

A

AVB99

Laurie I am resurrecting this old post. You advocate air brushing the Vallejo gloss varnish? Do you thin it?

Thanks

Aidan

T

tecdes

\ said:
Laurie I am resurrecting this old post. You advocate air brushing the Vallejo gloss varnish? Do you thin it?Thanks

Aidan
Phew Klear again.

Hi Aidan no I airbrush the Vallejo gloss. But if careful I would think hand brushing should be OK. Problem is if you thin the varnish you are diluting the gloss. Maybe that two coats would make up for any loss of gloss. So I would test it first before you embark.

Laurie

My old lady came rushing out of the shop, I’ve got the Klear

So off she rushed back home shouting Klear, Klear poor old dear

She exclaimed I have found it at last

I saw the Klear o dear & stared agast

No no not that smelly Klear I told you dear I wanted strong beer

T

tecdes

Morning Aidan

What size nozzle/needle are you using ?

Also is the paint way in the brush clear.

My regime is a brush all the way down the needle tunnel. Brush through the cup out through the front (nozzle needle removed. Use a reamer for the nozzle. All this under a dribble of hot water. After I then blow through the nozzle & view against white paper to ensure it is clear.

If all is ok then I would add Vallejo thinners. Defnitely Vallejo thinners as mentioned before it has a thinner feel about it with no discernible surface tension as with water. Therefore less chance of clogging. We hope !

Laurie

First Name
Aaron
The new klear/future smells like apples...I dip painted canopies into it for a beautiful finish, as well as airbrush coats prior to decals and wash and after to seal.

Klear is totally removeable and cleanable with a little windex. I use it neat.

I will try vallejo gloss when i cant source klear anymore.

A

AVB99

Hello Laurie

My needle is 0.2 and the entire airbrush is spotless. I have to say I'm dispapointed with the vallejo gloss varnish. The bottle refers to brushing and when the airbrush clogged I did test it with a brush on a non important surface. It seems way less glossy that Klear. Problem is that I cannot get Klear to work either - keeps giving me an uneven surface in places.

Am tempted to go to Halfords and get some real car spray paint. I know that gloss is a scale thing and that the spray can may produce a gloss which is too glossy for a 1/12 model but I'm getting so fed up with this....... I want to get the car model completed so I can start another kit! Driving me mad!!!!

Regards

Aidan

T

tecdes

\ said:
Hello LaurieMy needle is 0.2 and the entire airbrush is spotless. I have to say I'm dispapointed with the vallejo gloss varnish. The bottle refers to brushing and when the airbrush clogged I did test it with a brush on a non important surface. It seems way less glossy that Klear. Problem is that I cannot get Klear to work either - keeps giving me an uneven surface in places.

Am tempted to go to Halfords and get some real car spray paint. I know that gloss is a scale thing and that the spray can may produce a gloss which is too glossy for a 1/12 model but I'm getting so fed up with this....... I want to get the car model completed so I can start another kit! Driving me mad!!!!

Regards

Aidan
Well Aidan I use predominatly a 0.2 & that works OK for me without thinning.

Can understand your predicament sorry I can not help as I am only really with it as far a Vallejo is concerned. I do hope that some one else can help.

Laurie

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
Am tempted to go to Halfords and get some real car spray paint. I know that gloss is a scale thing and that the spray can may produce a gloss which is too glossy for a 1/12 model but I'm getting so fed up with this....... I want to get the car model completed so I can start another kit! Driving me mad!!!!Regards

Aidan
Please dont use real car paint lol.

have you tried brushing the klear on? it self levels really nice. Mix some tamiya flat base at a ratio of 1 flat to 3 klear for a satin finish.I have done this and it works.

If you ARE going to use carspray then please decant it so you can spray through your A.B.

Failing all else you could put your model down and start another untill you sort out your glossing problem.HTH

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Sorry to interrupt, but I see aaron you are also from NZ. Where do you buy your Klear from? I can't find it anywhere.

First Name
Aaron
You wont really find it in any stores here maybe an old 4square will have some. My bottle is narely out so i need a new source...Our best bet is a friendly American or British modeler that can still get thier hands on it. (HINT HINT) =p

D

dubster72

\ said:
You wont really find it in any stores here maybe an old 4square will have some. My bottle is narely out so i need a new source...Our best bet is a friendly American or British modeler that can still get thier hands on it. (HINT HINT) =p
I reckon you'll be doing well to find some Aaron - there's a bottle of the original Klear on eBay currently at £13.50 with nearly 3 days left to run on the auction!

Weirdly enough, some people are selling the new stuff at nearly 3 times the cost of buying it at your local supermarket! I wonder how many they sell ... ;)

Cheers

Patrick