July to Sept Group Build poll

What subject type would you prefer?

• Military tracked or wheel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any land based subject (i.e. does not have to be military)

• Water based, anything that floats

• A theme, i.e. Eastern front

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fenlander

Vote for the subject type for the next group build. Once this is determined we will have a look at the more specific fetails

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Like the idea of the Eastern front Graham, nice one.

Have fun, John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Graham,

At this stage I'm not fussed - all those look good. I'll no doubt have some comment when a subject area has been picked!

Gern

PS Before you ask - yes. I do occasionally get splinters from the fences I sit on!

M

msm2

Voted Eastern front. Area that is very close to me,but thats another story.

R

Richy C

I do like snow bases and have loads of the scenic stuff left , so you can guess what I voted for

Richy

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've voted Eastern front that way people can do something they feel comfortable with, don't forget when a subject has been chosen if anyone needs a kit for the GB I will supply them cheap

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well I cast my vote for the first option on the grounds that I've never built anything like that and the first (excellent) GB fell into my main area of interest. I'm happy to do anything and will hope to squeeze it in by the deadline.

Cheers

Steve

N

noble

I like the eastern front theme i already have one dio on the shelf, so another will complement it.

scott

N

noble

Doesn't it strike you as od that no one has chosen a water based theme, guess no wants to do the cutty sark or the hms victory then.

scott

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Doesn't it strike you as od that no one has chosen a water based theme, guess no wants to do the cutty sark or the hms victory then.scott
Not unless we can extend the build time - to about 3 years!

Gern

F

Fenlander

It will come Scott, trust me. However, for the sake of my sanity and a few others, the Cutty Sark or ships of it type will never be an enforced GB but it is possible that the Naval GB will be 'flexible' enough for you to build your 1:6 scale Victory, fully rigged in the 3 months ;)

F

Fenlander

Given that all the votes are going for a theme or Military tracked or wheel I think we can assume a consensus here. The idea of the Eastern Front was an example but it appears many have taken it to heart so I see we can kill everybody's bird with one stone.

If we make the next GB as 'Somewhere in Russia WWII" meaning that so long as what you build would have been used in this theatre it will be eligible. We are looking at Tanks, lorries, armoured cars half tracks AT and AAA guns, figures aircraft, dioramas or even all of these on one diorama lol. Leaves it very open but I think it should please most people. Any objections?

F

Fenlander

Patience Tony, the next GB, whatever the subject starts on 1st July.

As another thing to this one, taking into account the comments re modelling going out the window in the summer plus given the size of the proposed scenario allowing for multiple builds and potential for some great dioramas, I am considering making this one run until the end of the year. Again, thoughts on that please.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well some one finnaly put in a vote for the floating thingie.

I wonder who that was.....

cant help it I like boats.

So was there any water at the Eastern Front then???

F

Fenlander

At Stalingrad there was the crossing of the Volga as in the opening of 'Enemy At The Gates' a truly stunning piece of cinema.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

I'm happy with any of those suggestions. The only thing is I can use models from my stash for all of the themes except the Eastern Front, which will mean adding to the pile! I voted wheeled or tracked vehicle in the hopes I could reduce the stash, but I'm happy either way!!!

All the suggestions are good and I'm sure great things will come out of whatever theme is chosen.

About the build time; personally I think 3 months is enough, as I kind of think that enthusiasm and interest may fade over a longer period. I'm not saying that a 6 month build wouldn't produce some great stuff, as I'm positive it would, but wouldn't anything more complex really belong on another part of the forum? Also a longer deadline often just means virtually the same amount of work with twice

the amount of talk about work - why procrastinate today when you can put it off till tomorrow?!!!!

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Graham,

How about splitting the difference on the build time? What if we did just three builds per year - giving us four months for each? Some of the faster builders already have time to do more than one build in the three months we have. Isn't there a possibility they'll lose interest if they have too long to wait between builds? The extra month would help the slower builders and those who don't have much time for modelling. You know the ones. Those who have a life! LOL

Gern

R

Richy C

I`m happy with whatever time scale is chosen , but agree about the summer months, what about a 5 month summer gb and 2 x 3 months winter gb`s when everyones stuck in indoors with our pants weather which gives roughly 10 days between each gb`s over the year to organise sort out and vote what we are doing next etc etc

Just an idea Gents

Cheers

Richy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nothing is certain with voting, we have a few weeks left to decide which subject it is to be.

There has only been 15 votes cast, 5 more for waterborne and it's level with theme. 3 more and tracked vehicle has the whip out.

Yet it seems from what I am reading, the outcome is already decided.......

If the choice is a theme, why can't it stay like that, a theme? Builders would then have a much wider scope and therefore a more diverse selection of diorama possibilities than 1 theatre of operations.....snow ect.! Don't get me wrong I love the stuff but I would suggest Russia WW2 is perhaps a bit limiting, whereas anywhere WW2 would, in my opinion be far better. As Paul points out, it would help those who have a big enough stash, except Russian stuff.

I put my idea to the House!!!

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.