July to Sept Group Build poll

What subject type would you prefer?

• Military tracked or wheel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any land based subject (i.e. does not have to be military)

• Water based, anything that floats

• A theme, i.e. Eastern front

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
A couple of other ideas for themes, modern combat or a scene from a film based theme, anything you like, from where eagles dare to blackhawk down, saving private Ryan to full metal jacket, you could have loads of options

F

Fenlander

Mmm, interesting idea John. A film theme so you pick the film you want and build something to represent it. That means that just about anything could be built including Sci Fi. Now that is interesting but it would have to be a tad more than building a Sherman and calling it Kelly's heros. Von Ryan's Express anyone?

R

Richy C

Modern combat is a good shout , although not in everyones comfot zone its there or there abouts

whatever the final choice is I`m happy and I`m in

Richy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I like the film idea - I'd love to do the scene from 'Ice cold in Alice' with the Katy ambulance rolling down the sand bank in the Qattara depression. I think it would make a nice looking scene with a 1/35 John Mills running like the clappers after it! The film idea does kind of open it up to everyone then.

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I to think the film idea is a good one. However... Should it be open to any film, any genre? Any film covering one of the theaters of war? A specific film?

Any film from any genre would give carte blanc to biuld any thing we want: lots of variety which is good. Lots of variety which could end in total madness! LOL

Any film covering ONE theater of war. Still lots of scope but pulls things together a bit. There are plenty of films covering just about every theater of war, WWI, WWII, Korea, Gulf wars I and II. Vietman.

A specific film. Still masses of possibilities, for every one. Boat, plane, hard armour, soft skins, even civilian.

What ever it falls to the topic needs pulling out of the hat soon, so we all have time to prepare!

Ian M

B

backonthecase

I voted military tracked/wheeled, But purely for an excuse to buy another kit, the Eastern front would also be nice. I don't like ships (I have a 1/700 Frigate and it's a pain!!).

Stuart

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Just one question, would the movie idea still fall into the "Themed" vote? I really like the idea of a film GB, and thats the one i voted for.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just had a thought going on from Ian's post...If the subject is to be a theme, which we won't know for a while 'till the votes are in, how about a certain decade?

Say 1910s, 40s, 50s,........so on. then those who want to do the build can research the decade chosen and model accordingly.

I also think just having a film theme carte blanche gives too wide a scope and I think it would be far better to narrow it down as much as poss. otherwise it might get too manic and it won't really be a G/B., but just a selection of dioramas.

Through this waffling what I am really trying to say is I think it has to be specific to work as a true G/B.

Just a thought and another idea for the pot and even more for Graham to loose sleep over! lol

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

How about the theme of operation market garden, from the movie a bridge too far? it offers plenty of scope for lots of different ideas i think, what does everyone else think?

scott

B

backonthecase

Great idea Scott, it could either be based on anything that appeared in the movie (vehicle, artillery, aircraft, scene) or something that's documented as being used in the operation.

Stuart

B

bikerbart

As a newbie on the forum (only joined yesterday) can i just say what a brilliant idea this group build is:goodidea:

My nickname on here is Bikerbart, so as you may work out my usual subject for making models is motorbikes. Ive only come back to model making recently after a gap of 34 years !!! However ive reached the stage where i want to leave my comfort zone and widen my choices. The things that have stopped me at the moment is lack of confidence and knowing NOTHING of military subjects!!!

I would really like to partake in the next project for July and have voted for tracked or wheeled subjects simply because i might be able to do something in that catagory and thought the others my overwhelm me and my ability (or lack of it)

So a couple of questions:

1) Is the GB suitable for a newcomer returning back to model making after such a long time away, and is it ok for a newbie like me to the forum to join in.

2) If "yes" is the answer to the above questions, then can i ask for help and advice on here to guide me on the subject...ie i know nothing about military stuff or boats if that is chosen or the eastern front etc....so in other words i will need a lot of help to guide me through.

On a last note, thanks so far to all those that have welcomed me to the forum, and congratulations to all those that have made the forum what it is, i have found in the past a great deal of work and effort goes on behind the scenes in these things to make them function, and often they go un-noticed and are taken for granted so well done to all.

Best regards to all, Martin aka Bikerbart :smiling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I am sure Graham (Fenlander) who is group moderator will post on this, but for my part I say jump in Martin. Such is the friendly attitude on this forum that any question, no matter how 'silly' will always receive a sympathetic ear.

It doesn't matter one jot if you have never 'Done' anything military.....Once upon a time you had never done anything on two wheels!! lol

Judging by your superb models, you should have the confidence and skill to build anything.

The group build is not a competition but more to see peoples interpretation of the chosen subject. Just have a look at our first G/B FW 190, if proof were needed as to the way people approached the build.

So, get ready for Mr. Fenlander's starting pistol 1st. July, ask all the questions you like and, like we all did (And some are still didding!) have fun...

:beer:

Ron

N

noble

Welcome to the forum martin ask anything you like here vsomeone will be able to answer, good luck

scott

F

Fenlander

Ron has it right Martin. The whole idea of the group build is to get people doing things the probably would not normally do. The first on based on the FW190 had some of the 'Tankers' on here scratching their heads at the offset but they, and everyone else including one whose entry was her first model (how brave was that???), pulled out some stunning builds. Over the full year,it is hoped that the GBs will encompass everyones main interest as near as is possible.

As for asking questions, we all asked questions in the 190 build and our resident Oracle Steve (Stona) gave out some amazing information on the 190 helping us all. As Ron rightly stressed, the GB is not a competition, it is about encouraging out of the box thinking and community project spirit.

I will soon be announcing the new GB for starting July 1st, it isn't a race either so it doesn't matter when you start. I will be going with the film theme but I am trying to get my head around how this can be done leaving enough scope for a bit of freedom re what subject can be done but still having some restriction to keep it a GB and not just an open kit build. It will be military based and will allow for air, ground and water born models so it will be pretty open which is probably best for the summer as most people agree that this time of year, modelling does not always have a high priority.

So yes Martin, you can, and i hope you do, join in. You can ask for advice on the subject and while building you can ask specific questions to help you get the best out of your modelling.

Unlike some forums we have a philosophy that modelling should be fun first and the GB will reflect that.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Graham, when does the voting finish please?

I see the voting has joint leaders at the minute, should be an interesting run in!

Ron

F

Fenlander

I will close and announce at the weekend (at the latest) As the two leaders can work alongside each other, I will ensure that the theme will allow for as much military track or wheel as possible. So take it that the theme will be film based only to set the period and anything from that period, including vehicles will fit in nicely. I don't think it is practical to do a build that depicts the film so that is why I am using a film title to set the period and give the GB a funky title. yes, I am that shallow I can want a funky title lol.

B

bikerbart

Well with all of the encouragement how can i not partake?....count me in for the July GB...in for a penny...in for a pound....thanks guys for the posotive comments :smiling:

Status
Not open for further replies.