Junior's 1/72 PSC Valentine Bridge Layer

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

So with Junior's Cromwells on the paint stand, we needed something else to build at model club on Monday night and as he won't build anything German, I went for this as something a bit different and to test him a bit.

For those not in the know, like I was when I started on this little project, the Valentine Bridgelayer was based on the Valentine II/III hull. Apparently these were chosen because the torque generated by the diesel engine of these versions provided more torque for the bridge laying mechanism than the petrol engine of the other versions. The Tank Museum have one on show but it is the prototype based on a Valentine I chassis. The Russians also have one at Kubinka. There is also one at Overloon in the Netherlands but more about that later!!

In terms of the development of the bridge, one website I found put it like this (as does the Osprey Valentine book):

"A series of tanks were used as the basis for the scissors-bridge. Early development used light tanks. The project then moved onto the A10 cruiser tank, and from that to the dreadful Covenanter cruiser tank. Finally the Valentine was adopted, and entered production at the Southern Railway's Eastleigh Works"

Around 200 were made (I've seen both 192 and 239 quoted) and saw widespread service in NWE, Italy, Burma and apparently even Manchuria. Around 25 were even supplied to the Russians! Hear that John the Russians!! ;)

In terms of NWE Europe use, I read in the Osprey book that these saw quite extensive use because there was a shortage of Churchill Bridgelayers - please feel to disabuse me of that fact if I'm wrong!!

Anyway enough rambling......

The base kit will be a Plastic Solder Company Mk II hull. As most of you know these are very much aimed at the wargamer. That said PSC do manage to get a surprising amount of detail on most of theirs kits and this is no exception - if you're willing to accept the compromises resulting from their wargaming roots. As is usual with PSC you get three kits and the ability to make different versions, so I can do something a with other kits at some point - John, the kit comes with a RUSSIAN commander!!! ;) :smiling5:

So far all we've done is build the hull and fill in the hole where the turret would go.

The bridge conversion is done by a small Somerset based company called S & S Models (link). They very much aim their products for the wargamer and basically do white metal and resin conversion sets for simple wargaming kits such as Armourfast and PSC. This conversion is no exception.

Obviously, there will be a lot of compromise in terms of quality - this is not a display conversion or scratch build - but the benefit is that it should be pretty robust; especially the bridges, as you'll see. This kit was specifically designed for the Armourfast Valentine but it should be a fairly straight forward to adapt it to the PSC hull.

ACW as usual.

All the best.

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------

The Overloon Bridgelayer, very helpfully from the same unit that Junior's version will be marked up as.

PSC box art, sprue shots, destructions and the progress to date.
The instructions are not the clearest, which is not normally a PSC failing.....oh and I got 15% off the RRP too!

Doesn't look like much progress but we had a fun hour and a bit working on it!

S&S Models Bridge conversion.
As you will you get both a folded and extended version of the bridge, so it's just a case of swapping them at deployment and recovery!

The destructions. Something to challenge Junior!!

1637359596245.png

What it will hopefully look like!!

1637360197961.png

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Most interesting post Andrew. I had a look at the company, and how they started ,good for them .
Of course here at Race Towers mention of being used by Russians gains a lot of interest. I'd like to follow that up and see if there is any history. Unfortunately unlike the Germans the Russian troops didn't have the benefits of being able to have a camera and take their own photos .Tell junior we would like to join him on his build and wish him well .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice little project Andrew, not fond of resin but sometimes it's the only thing available. I hope you and Junior have some fun working your way through this one. Just out of curiosity, why won't he build anything German? Rick H.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks like a fun project Andrew. Please pass on my support to himself!
Thanks for joining the party Tim. I'll pass on your best wishes!!

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Most interesting post Andrew. I had a look at the company, and how they started ,good for them .
Of course here at Race Towers mention of being used by Russians gains a lot of interest. I'd like to follow that up and see if there is any history. Unfortunately unlike the Germans the Russian troops didn't have the benefits of being able to have a camera and take their own photos .Tell junior we would like to join him on his build and wish him well .
Thanks John.

S&S do some nice little bits and pieces for these kits and Armourfast in particular. It won't set the modelling world alight but it does improve them for not a lot of money.

As for the Russian angle I thought that might grab your attention!!! As there are three kits in the box and the versions in the box never saw combat in North West Europe as a gun tank, I was thinking of doing a couple of vignettes. On the Russian side maybe something in the snow no or the Rasputitsa!!

I'll make sure I pass on your best to Junior!!

ATB.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice little project Andrew, not fond of resin but sometimes it's the only thing available. I hope you and Junior have some fun working your way through this one. Just out of curiosity, why won't he build anything German? Rick H.
Rick

Thanks for stopping by.

To answer your question as to why Junior doesn't like doing German kits, it was initially a matter of principle and then morphed to self interest.

We started our little battles when he was six and as C-in-C British Forces in our house, him helping with German AFVs was seen as making his job of liberating Europe harder - if not quite an act of betrayal. He is has always been very principled about doing the right thing from a very early age and still is. So at that age - he was six remember- he thought he should not be doing anything to help the Germans.

As he matured it was less principled and more about limiting the resources at my disposal when I faced him in battle. In the early days he once made a statement that I was not allowed a single Panther until he had 16 Achilles, which if I recall correctly is 2/3 of the entire allocation for a British armoured division - that's a lot of 17 pdrs to be facing! :anguished: :tired: :smiling5:

I asked him about it this morning, and it seems that at the age of 13 his stance has matured/shifted further and so it seems he's open to doing German kits, so watch this space!

As for resin, I agree it's not great but the thought of doing a scratch one in styrene was not an option, in part because I'm not sure I have the skill set but more importantly, it would be no fun for Junior - then of course there is the fact i's a lot more robust that plastic!

Thanks again.

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Rick

Thanks for stopping by.

To answer your question as to why Junior doesn't like doing German kits, it was initially a matter of principle and then morphed to self interest.

We started our little battles when he was six and as C-in-C British Forces in our house, him helping with German AFVs was seen as making his job of liberating Europe harder - if not quite an act of betrayal. He is has always been very principled about doing the right thing from a very early age and still is. So at that age - he was six remember- he thought he should not be doing anything to help the Germans.

As he matured it was less principled and more about limiting the resources at my disposal when I faced him in battle. In the early days he once made a statement that I was not allowed a single Panther until he had 16 Achilles, which if I recall correctly is 2/3 of the entire allocation for a British armoured division - that's a lot of 17 pdrs to be facing! :anguished: :tired: :smiling5:

I asked him about it this morning, and it seems that at the age of 13 his stance has matured/shifted further and so it seems he's open to doing German kits, so watch this space!

As for resin, I agree it's not great but the thought of doing a scratch one in styrene was not an option, in part because I'm not sure I have the skill set but more importantly, it would be no fun for Junior - then of course there is the fact i's a lot more robust that plastic!

Thanks again.

ATB

Andrew
I figured it might have something to do with aiding the enemy but, turnabout is fair play......16 to 1 seems a little over the top even for a panther.10 to 1 would be more reasonable but still pretty stiff odds. I'll be looking for your next German build. Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew and Junior
Great idea and quite a challenge. Certainly a step up from your previous models.

Doesn't look like much progress but we had a fun hour and a bit working on it!
Spending time together is priceless. I spent my working life as a teacher and it was clear that when parents and child spent quality time together it was a strong foundation for a successful future.
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I figured it might have something to do with aiding the enemy but, turnabout is fair play......16 to 1 seems a little over the top even for a panther.10 to 1 would be more reasonable but still pretty stiff odds. I'll be looking for your next German build. Rick H.
Hi Rick

Fortunately, he relented on the Panther issue and so I now have two, with a third in progress and he only has four Achilles but then he also has three Firelfies, with a Challenger in the stash - eight 17 pdrs!!

That said he managed to get a Panther himself. His Churchills are from the 6th Guards Tank Brigade and they captured a fully working Panther in a barn in Holland. If you've not heard about it it's called Cuckoo and there's a lot of info online, include about two minutes of film of it being driven around.

Maybe the next think you see him doing will be German!

ATB

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew and Junior
Great idea and quite a challenge. Certainly a step up from your previous models.

Spending time together is priceless. I spent my working life as a teacher and it was clear that when parents and child spent quality time together it was a strong foundation for a successful future.
Jim

Thanks Jim for joining the party! It is a bit of a step up. Having had a look at some of the 1/35 scratch builds people have done on this and the Overloon clip, I think there are some areas where I can a bot more above the conversion kit quite easily.

As for the parenting bit we try to do our and best and on the whole are doing an ok job.....I just wish there was a manual that made it a bit easier sometime!! :tired:

ATB

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John.

S&S do some nice little bits and pieces for these kits and Armourfast in particular. It won't set the modelling world alight but it does improve them for not a lot of money.

As for the Russian angle I thought that might grab your attention!!! As there are three kits in the box and the versions in the box never saw combat in North West Europe as a gun tank, I was thinking of doing a couple of vignettes. On the Russian side maybe something in the snow no or the Rasputitsa!!

I'll make sure I pass on your best to Junior!!

ATB.

Andrew
Just found this, might be of interest Andrew.

1637495098446.png

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just found this, might be of interest Andrew.

View attachment 438840

Very interesting. Never see it before - the mechanism doesn't look very substantial....wonder how often it got used??

Can I suggest you do this as your next build??? ;) :smiling5:

Thanks for sharing!

Andrew

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Trust JR. To come up with something wearing 4BO!! :tongue-out3: Rick H.
In his defence I did drop the 'R' word in on the first post, so kind of left the door wide open for him to walk right through!! ;) ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very interesting. Never see it before - the mechanism doesn't look very substantial....wonder how often it got used??

Can I suggest you do this as your next build??? ;) :smiling5:

Thanks for sharing!

Andrew
[/QUOTE )
Andrew, they had been used in the Winter War against Finland, on two occasions they managed to cross some wide trenches and a river. Other than that they did have some problems with the winch to lift up the framework in the cold .
I did have a look at a basic drawing but think it is beyond me ! There was however a wooden bridge one , but no photos :loudly-crying:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'll take this opportunity to caution you Andrew.......if you leave the door open, the "flies" will get in!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2: :tongue-out: ....now where did I leave that fly swatter?:thinking: Rick H.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thank you Andrew. :smiling3:
I'll take this opportunity to caution you Andrew.......if you leave the door open, the "flies" will get in!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2: :tongue-out: ....now where did I leave that fly swatter?:thinking: Rick H.
Gents - thanks for the banter.....it's what makes this site so great!!

Rick, did you ever find that fly swatter??!?!?!?!? ;)