Keeping down the fumes-New product goes a long way.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The subject of inhalation of dangerous fumes by modellers has been discussed a few times here,a while ago I mentioned a paint product sold in America called 'Safe Solve' my trusty sample obtained at an art materials show some several years ago was getting lower and lower,not looking forward to buying what is virtually distilled diesel fuel as a dilutent/brush cleaner I made some enquiries only to be told that this product was not available in the UK,however Messrs C.Roberson & Sons artists colourmen of great distinction have finally come to he rescue with a product called 'Zest' the name says it all,basically a highly refined and very effective citrus fruit based product that is harmless,think of a grapefruit smell and that is what fills your workroom,better than headache inducing white spirits or thinners which are not good for you.

One of the excellent qualities of this product is that it can be easily de-cantered once the contents have settled,it can be used again and again and is very economical in use.Dont expect to get it for a pound a gallon as per turpentine ! a pint tin which lasts ages will cost you just over a fiver,but what cost do you place on your health ?

Whilst the model trade has not yet caught up with such refinements you should visit your local art suppliers and find it on their shelves,if they do not have it then lobby them to get some.

As Europe steps in with some silly ideas like tomatoes that need to be perfectly round in shape,I think the new legislation regarding toxic solutions in everyday use holds some water and anything that serves to protect our lungs is a good thing.

So why not put 'Zest' to the test in your painting needs as a model builder.

B

BigJBB

Zest

Thanks for this lead on a useful product. As I build in a standard sized shed the major dislike i have is exactly as you describe with paint cleaners. I'll certainly be on the lookout for some and when I do find a stockist in reasonable quantities I'll let you all know where and how to get some.

cheers

Jim :regards:

N

Nigel.D

I build in a modified cupboard i will certainly look at this product ! thanks for the tip

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry for draging this up to the surface again, but have a look here www.zest-it.com

Might just try it myself. Has any one here tried it?