Kfz 305 1/48

S

sprayman

Hi All

Just starting a new project for the Kfz 305, I intend to use it as part of an airfield Dio. So any help and input on the way will be very much appreciated.

Dio will include, BF110,Kettenkrad and power unit, Kfz 305 and Eduard Luftwaffe personnel.

This build will concentrate on the Kfz 305. Ok a few pics of the goods so far.

Starting on the Kfz 305 chassis this morning will update later today, thanks for looking all.

Ray

G

garethm

Looks good so far Ray, will follow your progress.

Gareth.

F

Fenlander

This should be good. I used the Ket and the APU for my http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed/9498-preparing-last-flight-green-3-a.html diorama, didn't look as good as yours though. The figures on mine are the ICM ones. The truck will add quite a bit to this as it is a classic truck and, with the size of the 110, it should be quite a spectacle. Look forward to the progress.

S

sprayman

Many thanks for the kind words of support, Thats a cracking Dio Fenlander, I hope your proud of it, I know I would be.

Chassis built and is drying at present, I just gave it an oxide coat, with my own mix of Tamiya XF9,XF1, and XF64 (7:2:1).

When it dries I will add grease,dirt etc.

Ray

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

That looks very realistic Ray. I do have one question though.... A pink cutting mat????? This may have to be referred to the 'Committee' lol

S

sprayman

LOL Fenlander....thats what you get when you dont read the details on Ebay before you buy.....well thats the story the judge is getting told.

S

sprayman

Just finished the exhaust, tried to rough the box up with a rust effect, chassis now complete, so onto the wheels.

R

Richy C

Looking superb Ray , a very nice clean and sharp build so far , thanks for sharing your oxide mix it looks 1st class I`m sure a few of us will be trying that one out

Cheers

Richy

S

sprayman

A little update, got the wheels finished and dry fitted in place, I have not weathered the wheels yet as I dont know yet what ground it will be on yet, muddy,dusty etc.

On with the model, will start work on the cab next, thanks for looking everyone.

B

bikerbart

Liking this build, very nice indeed, love utility vehicles as a subject, they often get overlooked but they make a wondeful addition to dio's. Regards Martin :smiling:

S

sprayman

Thanks Martin,I agree about the utility models, Heavy hardware can set a dio, but the utilities finishes it of.

S

sprayman

Just a quick update, finished the cargo body and just done a quick dry fit, while the oils dry.On with the cab, thanks for looking everyone.

S

sprayman

A quick question everyone, anyone know what the colour of the inside of the blitz cab was, Im guessing grey but I would like to know for sure, thanks for any info all.

F

Fenlander

I would have thought it would have been the same as the outside. US stuff was olive drab inside and out and most british stuff followed the same pattern from what i have seen so it would be grey or dark yellow depending on the period and if it had been re sprayed externally, they would not respray the inside.

By the way, this is looking stunning, the wash detail on the wooden back is spot on. It makes me smile that Tamiya do not call it an Opal Blitz even though they use the correct shaped radiator badge with no lettering, just because they don't buy the licence to use the name. Goes for most of their 1:48 none armour stuff.

M

m1ks

This is great, military vehicles are not really something I look at, (though i've almost bought a Kettenkrad a few times).

Do you use your oxide as a wash brushed one or is it sprayed?

S

sprayman

Thanks for the support and info everyone, very much appreciated.Never noticed Tamiya not calling it an Opel Blitz Fenlander, and your right it has the OB badge on the grill.....

The oxide is airbrushed on in layers, then a very light spray of XF64 on the weld seams on the chasis m1ks.

Thanks all for showing an interest.

S

sprayman

Just a quick update, been giving the cab a bit of work, used temp glue to place the back of the cab on, then when all painted I will peel the temp glue away and posistion the glass parts. Then glue the back in for good.

While Im here thought I would share a quick tip on rust scabs,( see pic), get a cocktail stick, and place a mini drop of liquid cement on where you want the scab, I like to place it over the door seem to make it look like the scab has spread on to the door.then after 30 secs or so push a cocktail stick in the middle, and with light pressure pull down.

Wait for the cement to set, then just rust it up, a great little effect for soft skinned vehicles.

Thanks again for your interest.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks top notch Ray. Very nice work.

Cheers

Steve

B

backonthecase

That's an interesting technique on the rust scab Ray! I will be trying that soon I think!! Fantastic looking fau-blitz! I am also amused by the lack of "OPEL BLITZ" on the badge!! There's also some issue regarding tyres on some soft-skins, I think the tyres read "CONTINENTAU" instead of "CONTINENTAL", but I forget which vehicle.

Thanks

Stuart