Kit makers

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I think there have been massive changes. For a start more manufacturers available than there were in the 60's & 70's!. It may be me but the plastic appears thinner. Glues have moved on, the thick polystyrene glue of yore has been replaced by thinner cements and applied by brush.
You can still get the thick glue in tubes, I still use it from time to time too.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
You can still get the thick glue in tubes, I still use it from time to time too.
I found a tube supplied by Airfix in the Sea King kit! Unused, only because I thought them too messy in the past so decided to give the thiner 'stuff' a go!!

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I think there have been massive changes. For a start more manufacturers available than there were in the 60's & 70's!. It may be me but the plastic appears thinner. Glues have moved on, the thick polystyrene glue of yore has been replaced by thinner cements and applied by brush.
Yep fifty years on ,one would hope moulds and injection techniques had changed ,but the same principles still apply remove parts glue together as per the instructions ,made so much easier now with the products available ,any doubts about using some of these can usualy be put to bed by flicking through YouTube.
Crack on share your build on here everybody will willingly give help and advice. Dave