LA Sub Build 1/108 GRP

M

magpie

I’ve moulded and started fitting out the first LA sub from my recently purchased moulds from Walt Burggren of California USA.

After lots of contemplation, I decided to make this one a dynamic diver. I’ve spent so much on components for the static dive systems on my other 2 subs that I need to get realistic and stop blowing dough! She’s being modelled on the “Improved LA” and as such will have bow dive planes rather than sail planes on the tower like the early ones had. They moved them to the bow to allow for surfacing in the Northern ice flows without so much stress. The sail/tower planes were rotated to the vertical to come up and cut their way through. The bow ones are retracted into the hull. The sail and top rudder pop out for the Polar Bears to play with. (There’s a video of this on my site)

I’m using another Subtech belt drive motor unit and one of my Mtronics ESCs from another boat to save dough. She’s got a removable hatch in the middle of the deck behind the tower to access the WTC which is an integral part of the hull and is formed by 2 bulkheads at either end of the mid section. It’ll have 2 lead acid, 6v, 4 amp batteries that I already had, and one will be in the WTC and the other will drown in the front wet area. I’ll run them in series for 12 volts and use the BEC in the ESC like I did in the Blueback sub to regulate the power for the receiver etc. Wow that’s a lot of abbreviations! (Ever notice how long the word “abbreviation is?). For more info and to follow the progress of this build, click here http://magpieyachts.com/building16.html

to go to the appropriate page on magpie yachts site. I’ll do some videos of it when I get to that stage too.

Jason (magpie)

This pic also shows my lovely arthritic fingers! (Rheuamtoid)

Last edited:
R

rjwood_uk

the LA class is a beast of a sub isnt it.

will be nice to see the progress on this one!

M

magpie

Yes I like all the variations as they used the design for so long. It's still almost there in the Verginia and seawolf.

Jason

M

magpie

She’s coming together now. I made a prop guard like the one on my Blueback which will also beef up the dive planes and rudders with some outboard support. My boats get rough work with the Scope guys driving them, so I need to think ahead when I build them.

I made the aft dive planes to look like they have the seperate fins, but are actually in one peice and pivot as one big fin to give her more control for dynamic diving as she won't have a ballast system.

Jason

M

magpie

I did some detail work on the sail including periscopes, radar and snorkel. The right side scope screws right down to the front battery bay to hold it in place. (the battery)

I glassed the hull halves together with an inch of glass tape along the inside and now some micro balloons and resin icing on the outside to fill her up smoothly. She's almost starting to look like a boat! I love this!!!

If you're wondering what's the white stuff on the sail, it's foam to protect the detail while building her.

I finished off the hull joint today and gave her a guide-coat of primer to show up any dips etc when I sand her again.

Last edited:
J

Jayjay

Really interesting thread, fantastic work so far,

Cheers Jay

M

magpie

Really interesting thread, fantastic work so far,Cheers Jay
Thanks for that JJ!!!!!

I love building subs now. It's an interesting change from surface craft for me. LUV IT!:grinball2:

B

Bunkerbarge

I think there is a whole differrent level of challenge with a sub. You could have nothing more than a motor, speed controller and a rudder servo on a surface craft, as a couple of mine have.

With asub though you have to go a lot further and get a lot more involved with it. They are very intersting and demanding subjects to model.

You are doing a lovely job again Mags but I must admit when I saw this one with the "icing" around the hull I thought it was never going to work!! :smiling3:

M

magpie

Thanks Bunk.

I took her with me to the lake today as I was going with mum to watch the RC IC speedboats and I put her in for a rough trim check. Lots to do but it gave me an idea where to start.

Here's a 3 minute clip of the powerboats. They were fun to watch.

Jason

M

magpie

I fitted the 2 lead batteries today and wired up the servos and then adjusted the control rods and horns to set the fins at the right angles etc. I’m just waiting on the ESC to arrive and I can get her ready for trials and proper trimming etc then I’ll do the final putty coat, wet sand and paint/weathering etc.

The front wet battery

The front wet battery

The WTC dry battery

M

magpie

One of my Magpie yachts blew a winch so I sent it off for repairs to RMG and I

pinched the ESC and receiver from it for this sub. When the new ones arrive,

I'll pay it back. I got her all going and tub tested her to get an idea how much

lead and foam to use. I had planned to go 12 volts, but on testing, the ESC got hot

even though it's rated to 12v, so I rewired her to be 6v. She seems to have

plenty of grunt at 6v in the bath anyway. I might get her out to the lake

tomorrow with the lead taped on for a test run.

B

Bunkerbarge

Floats nicely and with a change to 6v you may be pleasantly surprised at how much time you get out of the battery.

M

magpie

You're right there Bunk!!!

I test ran her at the lake today with some other boats in our group. Mum drove the BB and had fun. The LA went for an hour on a charge and the Blueback 50 minutes. Not bad I reckon.

Here’s a video link for 5 minutes I took today

The LA will need bigger front dive planes to dive dynamically. I’ll use those ones on my next one with the D&M WTC from the raffle. She was fun to run on the surface for an hour though. I had a sail of one of my yachts for a while at was bored shi…s!

Subs are fun!

Be told!!!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Great to see it in the water at last. Looks the part even without a coat of paint.

I have seen model control surfaces extended with clear acetate sheet to improve thier effectiveness whilst remaining scale looking in operation.

M

magpie

I started painting her today with a few coats of primer, black gloss then flat black. Once the bottom red paint is done and the markings and things, I’ll clear coat it all over.

M

magpie

I finished the painting today, or near enough. I’ll find a few more things to do to it as always.

The flat black at the bow looks ODD going down through the waterline anti-foul but that’s how it is on the Greenville so I copied it.

I used the lazer level for the lines.

My first coat of anti-foul was a bit light so I darkened it up.

B

Bunkerbarge

I particularly like the different textures of black. It is very difficult to make a surface interesting when it is all black but the use of varying degrees of Matt and Gloss make all the differrence.

The antifouling looks a perfect colour as well. The last time I saw a coat of antifouling going on a ships hull it was exactly that shade.

Now it really looks the part!!, lovely job.