large star destroyer scratchbuild ( 5 feet long )

B

baz

hello everyone,

it has been a couple of months since I was posting on the site but as you see I have been busy making a large scale star destroyer she is 5 feet long and 32 inches wide and is the heaviest model I think I have built there are a a few lit parts but most are all hand cut bits and pieces far to many to count but it must be a couple of thousand any way she is now completed and will soon be on display in TRANSPORT MODELS OF PRESTON LANCASHIRE soon thanks to my good friends Mark and Davied who keep inspiring me to fill the cieling of the hobby shop. Please let me know what you think and if you need to ask anything please feel free.

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

View attachment 74794

View attachment 74795

View attachment 74796

View attachment 74797

View attachment 74798

View attachment 74799

View attachment 74800

DSCF2702.jpg

DSCF2330.jpg

DSCF2498.jpg

DSCF2664.jpg

DSCF2689.jpg

DSCF2708.jpg

DSCF2704.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely unbelievable. I think it is probably a bigger mode than any of us have ever made!!

Beautiful detail though and a stunning model, I hope the model shop are paying you a large sum of money to enjoy the benefits of having your model on display!

C

CDW

Stop teasing us with snippets auld yin :smiling:

Have you got some full model shots so we can see it in all its glory?

From what you've shown, it looks to be oozing detail as per usual, great work Barrie.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
What a beauty ! Have built the extension to put it in yet :D

It's just fantastic it's all I can say well done :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Barrie your scratch built items are a wonder and this is amongst the best. Superb detailing and craftmanship, just one question: are you sure it's big enough? ;)

Now all you need to do is build a scale Death-Star to go with it...do you have a couple of years spare?

Si:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I agree with Col! Give us some more pics please!

Gern

B

baz

THANK YOU ALL gentelmen for your very kind comments you have made an old model maker very happy, YES it is big enough I was going to go the whole way and do one 8 feet long as the original but I do not have enough room and as I have said this is one of the heaviest models I have made. Full images will be coming soon my friends at Transport Models have to get into the roof space and get some VERY strong fishing line set up to display her once shi is in space so to speak sorry about the pun I will go down and get loads of pics for you all in the mean time here are some more build up shots as for the death star has anyone got a couple of 8 feet diamiter half spheres that they could let me have cheap ? only kidding guys.

View attachment 74822

View attachment 74823

View attachment 74824

View attachment 74825

View attachment 74826

View attachment 74827

View attachment 74828

View attachment 74829

View attachment 74830

View attachment 74831

View attachment 74832

DSCF2245.jpg

DSCF2258.jpg

DSCF2285.jpg

DSCF2320.jpg

DSCF2330.jpg

DSCF2335.jpg

DSCF2522.jpg

DSCF2656.jpg

DSCF2668.jpg

DSCF2664.jpg

DSCF2698.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the extra pics. Now I have another question. I recognise some of the parts have come from ship models. Where do you get them from? You surely don't cannibalise new kits just for bits do you?

Gern

B

baz

Well spotted Gern,

YES they are ship parts from what ship I can not remember, as to cannibalising new kits well not exactly I go to the Telford show and try to find old and unwanted kits it could be anything so long as its cheap ( under £10 ) then I snap them up get them home snip all the parts of and box them ready to be used on any model which I build in the future some of the bits I used on the satr destroyer have been in a plastic box for quite a few years just waiting to come out and be part of a model.

I try to go to a couple of IPMS shows and hunt down these types of model anything at all may come in handy from planes to cars missiles ect a good way to amass a lot of parts quite quickly and cheaply. If I can help with any more questions please let me know more images of the destroyer will be on line soon

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I go to the Telford show and try to find old and unwanted kits it could be anything so long as its cheap( the old guy )
.... now who does this remind me of? He will know when I say that the most we usually see of him at Cosford is his backside as he spends so much time rummaging in the oddments boxes! :smiling3:

Gern

PS Sounds like a good idea there Barrie. 'specially for guys that do lots of scratch builds.

W

Waffen Bucks

OMG! This is something to behold...would love to serve on that ship one day ;)

A

Armorbuilder65

Awesome awesome awesome!I've scratchbuilt one of these ships and know how much fun it is to dig through model kits for just the right piece and seeing how it looks after a coat of primer:smiling3: This is so cool to see! Thanks for sharing!

Robert

A

Armorbuilder65

\ said:
Where do you get them from? You surely don't cannibalise new kits just for bits do you?Gern
ILM went crazy with this method while making Star Wars. Here's a pic of the five foot Falcon miniature being detailed.....look at all those kits in the background!

Robert