Lead Wire

First Name
Kevin
Hi I'm wanting to make my own grab handles for my 1/72 scale T-34/85. As the stock plastic ones look naff. What size wire will I need to use. Any help will be appreciated.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Kevin
i would go for something around the 0.3 mm range, or even slightly finer if you can get it. At 1/72 scale 0.25mm is equivalent to handles of about an inch in diameter, so 0.3 shouldn’t be too oversized. I wouldn’t use lead though, too fragile…..I would go for brass pin wire from someone like this…

They are easy to make. Use snipe nosed pliers and make a series of “staples” by holding the wire in the jaws and folding down both sides. Size will vary slightly, so make more than you need and select those that are closest in size to each other.

I used to recommend Eileen’s emporium for this sort of item, but it appears that after a good thirty years trading, they’ve gone broke :sleeping2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I wouldn't worry too much about getting the wire exactly to scale. Kevin. I'd be happy to use any wire of 0.3/0.5mm diameter.
As Tim says don't try using lead as it's too fragile. Strip the cover from any odd bits of electrical wire and you'll end up with a collection of useful wire.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
To add to Jim's advice, if you're throwing out an old electrical device like a TV, printer or whatever they can be a gold mine of different sized wire.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I had one of those, but sold it not long ago because I found it very awkward to work with. Simple narrow pliers are much quicker, and since I can’t drill the holes for the handles to the exact same spacing every time anyway, each needs to be bent to a slightly different size that the tool doesn’t accommodate …