Learning

R

Russtie

Hi. 45 year old kid here. Used to build a lot of planes when I was a kid and built the odd car and motorbike since. For a while now I have wanted to start to learn beyond the basics of building a model, sure you all know what I mean. Sanding, filling, sanding, filling lol, making paint actually look good, weathering etc etc mainly make the model look more real.

Been working on the airfix beginner etype jag model which a friend gave me and have been using it as test for filling etc. The model is surprisingly badly moulded etc, a lot of the parts don't go together properly so it's quite good to use to learn some new skills. All was well until I laid the paint TS-49 on top of a grey coat of primer and then it went a bit wrong; ordered some new paint etc this morning which is coming tomorrow (thanks scale models) so will have another go. I have a karman ghia and a cabriolet beetle 1303s in stock which I am also going to use to hone my skills. Im then planning to move on to a tank. My grandad was a desert rat so hoping to replicate as near as I can what he may have driven served in

First forum I've been part of, be gentle

Lol

Russtie (Russell, Russ)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi Russ,

Welcome to the forum mate. We are all learning on here. If you want realism from an E Type Jag a good place to start would be a "Leaking Cranshaft Oil Seal" and a 1303 Beetle ??? Parked up on the Hard Shoulder of the A303 in summer with an overheated engine................ Enjoy your building and stay safe.
Peter

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Russ

welcome - share your work - someone will be able to help.

Mark

R

Russtie

Welcome to the forum.
What went wrong with the paint?
Pete
Welcome to the forum.
What went wrong with the paint?
Pete
Think I rubbed the primer back to much, got down to a 2000 grit, which I now think must be too smooth. Realised the primers too dark for the red and the red seemed to splatter when sprayed...apart from that all was ok, haha, oh also haven't got a proper stand to hold it which made things tricky. Got one coming tomorrow and some more paint so hopefully can rectify it

R

Russtie

Hi Russ,

Welcome to the forum mate. We are all learning on here. If you want realism from an E Type Jag a good place to start would be a "Leaking Cranshaft Oil Seal" and a 1303 Beetle ??? Parked up on the Hard Shoulder of the A303 in summer with an overheated engine................ Enjoy your building and stay safe.
Peter
That's about right. Haha, thanks

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Russ welcome from me as well hope you like it here as a great foum very friendly guys an gals on here
chris

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
welcome to the forum

you must have picked one of the worst kits out there to start with! that was new tool back at the start of the 60s!

good luck, plenty on here who can answer any questions

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hiya Russ,
the day you stop learning, you don't need to make any models. 'cos you've reached Modelling nirvana!
If you've made one or two dodgy models, that need work , then invest in something like a Tamiya model. They fit together well, not too complicated, and you can concentrate on the finish. Even when you are more savvy, it's nice to make a simple, well fitting model, as a break from the 500+part marathon build!
The forum is a great place, ask any question, and if no-one knows the solution, then I bet you will be pointed to somewhere you can find the answer.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Russ, welcome to the forum.
For holding things while spraying, blu tac and off cuts of wood are very useful. You picked a beauty of a colour there....reds are transparent so really need to be sprayed over a red oxide (for darker red) or white primer (for bright red). I did what you did many years ago in my railway modelling days, and ended up with two scratch built parcels vans that turned dull purple ...... they should have been Carmine :worried:

R

Russtie

Hi Russ, welcome to the forum.
For holding things while spraying, blu tac and off cuts of wood are very useful. You picked a beauty of a colour there....reds are transparent so really need to be sprayed over a red oxide (for darker red) or white primer (for bright red). I did what you did many years ago in my railway modelling days, and ended up with two scratch built parcels vans that turned dull purple ...... they should have been Carmine :worried:
That's interesting and pretty much what I had deduced. It's a bright red and as soon as the red hit the grey primer I thought "that doesn't look right" I guess its not a bad lesson to learn but was a little disappointing as the model had been a bit of a pig to build. Im going to rub it back and have another go

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
ended up with two scratch built parcels vans that turned dull purple .
I had read, that you should add a touch, just a touch of red to black paint. Which I did. My 1:32 S.O.E Lysander turned out dark purple !
And hello Russ. I returned to modelling in 2008, I think, and have happily been making mistakes ever since.

B

bobnv

Hi Russell, Welcome
Only a bit newer than you, and same as you built as a kid and just getting back into it, but I'm a bit older than you so took me longer.
You found the right forum, these guys are all seeing, all knowing, and all helpful.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Russell.

Looking forward to seeing your work. And do not be afraid to ask questions.

ATB

Andrew