Lee Drennen’s 1/72 Matchbox Gloster Gladiator R.A.F. No.73 (Fighter) Squadron Digby 1938.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Ahhh good old Matchbox models,
takes me right back to my early days of just wanging them together and then running around the garden like a mad thing making dakka dakka noises..
Yep, those were the days! Secretly a lot of us still do! I'll sometimes buzz the cat when no one is looking!!

Matchbox biplanes where just the best!!

Miko (can't remember my last Matchbox kit?)

johnm93

SMF Supporter
Seeing a Matchbox multi-coloured kit again just takes me right back.... I used to build them un-painted and put the decals straight on....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic choice lee , youll have no problems with the build - the matchbox kits always went together beautifully . The only slight problem you might have is covering that bright red plastic !! :smiling5:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ahhh good old Matchbox models,
takes me right back to my early days of just wanging them together and then running around the garden like a mad thing making dakka dakka noises..
Yes I figured I would shake some childhood memories with this kit.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That's a blast from the past Lee. Looks straightforward enough.
Thanks Jim. With Spring and Summer upon us and I have more chores to do on the Farm now I need a straight forward build

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
The only slight problem you might have is covering that bright red plastic !!
Yes this multi colored plastic messes with me but I keep telling myself your going to paint it and it won’t look so toyish Lol

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Off to a great start Lee. This brings back memories, built this when I was a youngster. Matchbox biplanes are nice to build due to the positive strut construction.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Matchbox' cabane struts system was so elegant it makes me wish other companies would take few pointers along those lines. Yes, I'm looking at you Amodel!
Yes when I see that construction they way it inter locked I thought it was clever was to line this up. The more I built Matchbox kits the more I like them but I’m a little skeptical about there armor kits

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Off to a great start Lee. This brings back memories, built this when I was a youngster. Matchbox biplanes are nice to build due to the positive strut construction.
Thanks Joe. It’s been a fun build so far glad you stopped by

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I had a rush of blood to the head recently and thought I'd like to re-build the Matchbox armour, seeing as I did each and every one up to a point as they were released. They really are nice little kits, and well detailed

But the Firefly is now being retailed by Revell as a starter kit for nigh on twenty quid!

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I had a rush of blood to the head recently and thought I'd like to re-build the Matchbox armour, seeing as I did each and every one up to a point as they were released. They really are nice little kits, and well detailed

But the Firefly is now being retailed by Revell as a starter kit for nigh on twenty quid!
Yes I have that kit bought it many years ago as a Revell it but the tracks are a nightmare but you could work with them I guess. I thought about building the diorama with it