less-than-perfect invasion stripes

T

TonyBv9

I know this subject has come up before, but I came across this Tempest video on Youtube and thought I should post it. At about 1.20mins in, there is footage of hastily painted stripes, which should give us all reason not to be quite so fussy about them.

G

GazB

Wish I'd seen this before, i spent ages trying to get mine perfect....typical :biggrin:

Great vid though, cheers.

First Name
Adrian
Yeah I've seen and read all sorts of stories about hastily painted D-Day stripes, its a pity the model companies provide sheets that are very formal, I figure if I do a D-Day markings plane I will use a very thin black and white and let teh camo seep through, hopefully it will look like a rushed job :smiling3:

Adrian

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The stripes were applied on aircraft in service in the 48 hours prior to the original invasion date. The result was far from perfect in some cases!

Aircraft supplied post invasion were marked at MUs before arriving at a squadron and would have a far more professional job.

A good reference for your victim is always a good thing :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve I remember you posting a couple of pictures illustrating just this subject.....I think the aircraft in question were American Marauders or Mitchells. It looked like the bloke had put the white on with a yard brush!

Ron

T

TonyBv9

\ said:
The stripes were applied on aircraft in service in the 48 hours prior to the original invasion date. The result was far from perfect in some cases!
I can imagine the language from the overworked ground crew when the order came through.

M

m1ks

\ said:
Steve I remember you posting a couple of pictures illustrating just this subject.....I think the aircraft in question were American Marauders or Mitchells. It looked like the bloke had put the white on with a yard brush!Ron
Please feel free to correct if I'm mistaken but I believe some aircraft paint jobs and additions were applied with what looked very much like a yard brush